humidor wont hold a steady humidity %

Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts | 0+
i bought a humidor. i have had it all full of water and PG for going on about 5 weeks now, and the humidity goes from about 70%-sometimes 67%

is that normal? why does it fluctuate? i have some great smokes in there HELP!!!! thanks

I wouldn't worry too much yet...the best humidity level is anywhere between 65% and 70%.

Do you have a digital hygrometer? If not get one, and if you do, have you done the salt test to make sure it's reading accurately?

67 and 70 is such a small difference its nothing to worry about. its just the ambient air outside the humidor rapidly changing.

ok good deal. i have an analog, i think its called. and yeah i did do a salt test and it was right where it said it should be. so... i dont know. but if you guys say thats ok. then im fine. thaks a lot.

you should get rid of that analoge and get a 20 dollar digital and save yourself future headaches. trust me, i learned the hard way.

Try and keep your humidor on the full side too. The cigars will stabalize the humidity.

May I suggest that you keep the lid shut for more than a few hours at a time. :twisted:

Bobberrific said:
Most humidors aren't airtight. :shock:

Place a dollar bill across the edge of the humidor 1/2 in and 1/2 out and then close it.
See if the dollar can be easily be pulled out.

That will tell you how good the seal is.

I say that in reply to your question, but 67-70% is fine and as others have said the RH of the room can effect a humidor greatly.
Personally I keep my humidor at 63%-65% and feel my cigars smoke better.
The best thing to keep RH in one place are humidty beads.
They will suck up extra humidity or give off humidty if needed.
Then you can forget about using pg and just use water.

I think Heartfelt industries has the goods.

Also how long have you had you humidor?

asking because it can take a few days/week for a new humidor to level off.
BUT 67-70% is fine and that small of a change doesn't matter.
IMHO
CC

CastleCrest said:
Also how long have you had you humidor?

asking because it can take a few days/week for a new humidor to level off.
BUT 67-70% is fine and that small of a change doesn't matter.
IMHO
CC

hmm, about 4-5 weeks. i think.

Mines a little lower than that so no need to worry. But its still better to get the beads or a Cigar Oasis and be done with it. I learned that the hard way when I went to go light up one day and my cigar disintigrated in my hands.

well i did try to check the seal with a dollar bill, and i can stick my friggin S.S. card through it. what would be the best way to seal that? or is that what i want? thanks.

Another way to test it is to lift the lid up and drop it. If it slams, you have a poor seal. If you hear a "pffft" and the lid doesn't slam then you have a good seal.

You wouldn't happen by chance to have that small display cabinet with the slanted shelves and the analog hygro on the top would you?

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prod ... 0&page=all

Not much, just get a digital hygrometer, test it, keep an eye on the levels and enjoy the smokes instead of dwelling on the consistency of the RH. What you have is perfectly normal and won't do any harm. The only time you really have to worry about the RH is when it gets so high that the burn of the cigar is affected or when it gets so low that the wrappers become brittle.

Regards,
Justin

Quagmire said it all. The bottom line is don't worry, you're doing fine, and you've definitely gotten the best advice you could possibly get from the folks here. As for seals, I love when they bark and bounce beach balls on their noses. As for my four desk tops, the two with the WORST seals are the BEST at keeping humidity.

Personally, I like seals, but I LOVE snakes, sharks, hippos, pigs, certain dog breeds, frogs, donkeys, rhinos, camels, rays (sting rays and mantas), giraffes, all cats, . . .

ya gotta stop somewhere.

Okay, toucans too. I'm stopping now. :mrgreen: