humidors

Joined Apr 2006
7 Posts | 0+
I don't have a humidor but I have a Monte Cristo #1 box that it said it was humidor Quality I don't know if I should use it or not. what u think. its a white box with brass hinges and felt botom it sure looks like one the inside is spanish cedar.

I think this has been asked before and believe the consensus was that it would be okay short term. Just watch the humidity and check the seal. Put a flashlight inside and see if any light comes out. If it does it wouldn't be a good idea.

Besides, you'll only have the space for the original cigars. If you stay on here, odds are you'll outgrow it pretty fast. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

thanks for the info now my next question is my hygrometer is always reading 80% when I first put it togeter it was at 65% you think thedial is wrong or the theres is too much humidity in there.

Welcome to the forum!

For storage it is best to invest in a humidor IF you are serious about this hobby. You will be taken in by it I promise you.

You will want a digital hydrometer. The more accuracy you have will help protect your cigars.

Oh yeah and buy a a bigger humi to start

at least 300 count if not more

welcome to the maddness

I started off w/ this and filled it in 1 month

so now i bought the fridge (for more reasons than just storage but i bet it will be filled before i know it

Attachments

• 100 count.jpg
    100 count.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 564
  • Fridgador.jpg
    Fridgador.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 564
so you got it up and running raild? How is the Rh? Are you using kitty litter?

It's a compressor fridge, but The Home Depot is running a 20% discount on a 52 bottle wine fridge with a glass door right now. I think it's like $84 (after the 20% off), and it comes with one of those fancy rabbit wine openers that sells for $25. The store here is also running a storewide 10% discount on top of all that tomorrow (friday, the 21st, I guess today actually). I don't know for sure, but both of these sales may be nationwide. The 10% off tomorrow is technically for "Pros", but hey, I'm a pro, you're a pro, right?? Ask for it and they'll probably give you the discount!

84 bucks and then a discount????? How can you beat that. Sooo, is it able to keep the temps down like you wanted it to? It looks very nice, and would be a fine addition to any room that is for sure.

I did a search on home depot and couldnt find anything near that price on a 52 bottle wine cooler ....lowest I could find was around 5 or 600 bucks

FYI

My local Target (Rock Hill, SC) had a 12 Bottle Capacity Countertop Wine Cellar (HVT12ABS) for $24.98. Regular price $99.99. YMMV of course. Worth a shot if you have one nearby. It is made by Haier.

Sorry- That wine cooler may be on a local clearance.

I haven't picked one of these up because after all the cigar purchases I've made in the last week, my wallet's a little played out. If anybody thinks it'd be worth the shipping costs, I'd pick one up for one of you guys. Just went back by today. It's still there, and it's $83.44 (plus tax). It's not as fancy looking as some of the stainless steel ones, but it looks like it'd do the job.

sorry didn't mean to change the subject of the thread
anyways as long as that seals okay i'm sure its better than a tupperware box. also i wonder if the felt could cause a mold problem ove time

Home Depot usually only has one of the wine coolers my local store does. I would suggest that you guys stay away from the fridge in question because its compressor driven. I did this and had a very bad experience. Compressors will draw the humidity out of the air and because you're constantly putting humidity in it, the compressor plate may get covered in condensation which if that touches your cigars, you'll have some soggy cigars.

I honestly don't know how compressor driven coolers can be called wine coolers because no wine collector would use them--at least not long term. The compressor causes vibration which can disturb the sediments in the wine ruining the flavor. Really a wine cooler with a compressor is nothing but a glorified dorm fridge.

If you're going to do this, get a thermoelectric. I've seen them go for 150 and sometimes less. Its worth the extra money not to go through what I did.

You can get scratch and dent on ebay for cheap. Shipping is only 35 bucks. I ahd seen some as low as 79 dollars. anybody interested and I can look them up