I got a new humidor, what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the Boveda Seasoning kit. I just got a 50 ct humi and stuck two of the seasoning packets in there and am letting it sit for the 10 recomended days. I'm putting a Cigar Oasis in there after that.

Also do I need a digital hygro even if I'm using the Cigar Oasis??

The boveda products are great, but i usually season my humidors with active hydration (like cigar oasis)

I would use a calibrated hygrometer with your cigar oasis at first, just to see if the readout on the cigar oasis is calibrated or not..

I planned on letting the cigar oasis sit in for a day or two before I put my sticks in as well. if I just calibrate the analog hygro to check the cigar oasis should I be ok??

lwrdimage said:
I planned on letting the cigar oasis sit in for a day or two before I put my sticks in as well. if I just calibrate the analog hygro to check the cigar oasis should I be ok??

NO!

Analog are not worth it. I would get a digital and salt test it or use a calibration pack.

Chris the cigar oasis has a built in hygro ... I'm only using the analog to double check that it is correct. You saying I should still go get another digi hygro?

I would - the analog is very innacurate to say the least. I use a digital also because I find that the hygrometer in the CO is usually off also. I know that if I salt test a separate digital I can be sure of where my humidity really is.

Just my 2 cents - I think Chris will agree about the analog at least (as will most everyone around here).

lwrdimage said:
Chris the cigar oasis has a built in hygro ... I'm only using the analog to double check that it is correct. You saying I should still go get another digi hygro?

I can tell you for sure that the CO that I have is 3 percent low. Not a big deal cause I have anotner digital to check it. That is why I say to get a digital.

The adjustable digitals are pretty handy also. Inexpensive. Do your salt test then adjust to 75rh and you're done.

Dustin

Wish I'd known analogs were so unreliable I woldn't have ordered this nice humi with a built in analog with the outside display ..... I guess I should've checked out the forums before :evil:

I've been enjoying cigars for a few years now but up unitl recently I just bought a stick or two at a time. I got a little travel humidor and boveda packs and then got the desire to store more and try aging a few. I fell in love with the Rocky Patel the Edge Maduro and want to try it with some age on it.

Justin you have a particular one you are using, the inadjustability(?) of digitals was my diversion from them them.

thanks

Well I just received my first real humidor (120ct), it smells amazong.Ive been using a couple of 'herfadors' but have since outgrown their capacity. Thanks to you guys who have taken the mystery out of the seasoning process and the salt test. Before reading your posts, I assumed it came precalibrated and all I would have to do is buy some smokes. Cheers!
PS its also nice to see some banter on fine spirits as well. It IS all about the good life, even if it is an hour at a time.

Congrats on the new humi! It brings a whole new joy to cigars. Now I enjoy "collecting" cigars almost as much as smoking them. THe humi has to stay full :D

lwrdimage said:
Wish I'd known analogs were so unreliable I woldn't have ordered this nice humi with a built in analog with the outside display ..... I guess I should've checked out the forums before :evil:

id just salt test that hygrometer and still use it. ... but i would also have a digital inside. I like the way the display ones look.

...or you could replace it with a clock.

Thanks

Hey guys, to everybody that wrote on this thread. Thanks a lot on the tips and suggestions on this thread. I have my first humidor right now and this thread is helping out a ton. The problem is I dont really have much money to buy a digital hygrometer...will my analog do just fine? And is doing the salt test on my analog going to be the same as doing it with a digi, only a larger margin of error?

i ran with an analog for a good 6 months without much issue

i also used beads from the get go.

i still think the digital is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.