I need input from cigar smokers and fashionable tie wearers

Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts | 0+
New York City
My name is Stuart Hotchkiss and I am neckwear designer. For those of you who might be interested in a new cigar necktie design, I would appreciate your help in narrowing down the list of possibilities. First of all, it might be great just to pay tribute to Cigar.com as the premier purveyor of cigars and cigar accessories. Otherwise, I would like to pick a famous celebrity that everyone can relate to. My own choices include Fidel Castro, Winston Churchill, Mark Twain and Jack Nicholson. But I'd like to hear from everyone before making a final decision. Many thanks.

I don't generally wear ties, but I was think something along the lines of an off-white or cream colored background with a silhouette of Mark Twain or some other recognizable figure with a cigar in hand would be cool.

Thanks, Wolfdaddy. Does a cigar in mouth work just as well as a cigar in hand? Would having the silhouette of one famous smoker be preferable to that of three or four different personalities?

Alfred E. Newman...

Michael Richards as Kramer, Three Stooges, A collage of various US Presidents that have been photographed with cigars, Hugh Heffner.

The celebrity chics that enjoy cigars would be cool.

Thanks, Colonel. I LIKE the idea of doing a "Presidential Cigars" design. Who are the three or four biggest cigar smokers on record?

Thank you

Patton is a great idea, Bobberiffic. How would you feel if we combined Patton, Castro and a few other military notables for a "Great Commanders" design?

Maybe Groucho Marx (ahem)? ;-)

Possibly with a quote underneath?
=D

I dunno about Castro being a great commander.... but not a bad idea.

Thank you bkelm18

Perhaps the only things George Smith Patton and Fidel Castro had in common were green clothes and brown cigars! Thanks for your service to our country!

Personally, I'd like to see a line of cigar ties that are subtle, but
of quality.
If possible a background of solid color with a patern of small cigars.
Something you would not see as a cigar without looking at it closely.
I have nothing I can wear with a fine suit that is not over the top &
cigar related.

I need one in Pink ASAP as well as Grey!

Michael Richards would be great ("Don't look at me! I'm hideous!")

A cigar in the hand though is much more refined and in European culture, a cigar held in the mouth is bad ettiquette.

Re: Thank you

capital-ties said:
Patton is a great idea, Bobberiffic. How would you feel if we combined Patton, Castro and a few other military notables for a "Great Commanders" design?

Then you would have to include General Tommy Franks. A Cigar smoking General who lead the Coalition invasion in OIF and OEF

Thanks CastleCrest

Subtle is what we do. Check out our other tribute neckwear at http://www.capitalties.com. No one knows what design we've created until they get right up on the tie and put all the icons together. For instance, our Muhammad Ali tribute tie has a small repeat of boxing gloves, butterflies and bees. So that's why I'm trying to figure out the best three or four images that can be printed quite small but with lovely color and a clever repeat.

How about a General Russell Honore tie for the three-star National Guard General who came into New Orleans and got things organized in a hurry. You could have "don't get stuck on stupid" on the tie as well as a bunch of his other now famous sayings. Or just "don't get stuck on stupid" all over the tie going in different directions, printed in different colors. :mrgreen:

Maybe a picture of Sharon Stone in her famous pose, but this time holding a cigar. :lol:

I'd also buy a tie with Monica holding a cigar for bill!
Now that would be classy at any Rep-event! :wink:

I like the repeat patterns, just a small cigar &/or a small ashtray.
It's hard to find ties like that I have been looking.
Most are a little over the top.
I need something ASAP!

I can't remember but, I think there were some Vargus girls shown smoking cigars, now that would be a tie, not for all occations, but a great tie none the less.