I NEVER BELIEVED................

Joined Aug 2004
760 Posts | 0+
Florida West Coast
.......... I would see the day that I would pay $40.00 a pound for COFFEE!

In a moment of weakness this week I bought a half-pound of 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans at a local speciality grocery.

I have tried JBM in the past, but these were always "blends" that contained "some" JBM. I was generally unimpressed.

Before grinding the first beans I thoroughly cleaned out my burr grinder. My son had washed out my coffee maker a couple of weeks ago and the only thing I had run through it since was a few pots of Costa Rican Tres Rios, so I decided not to remove that slight patina of coffee. (I DO rinse it after every use.) I don't like a totally "clean" pot.

Frankly, I didn't expect the JBM to live up to the ravings that I have read here and in other places - and perhaps it didn't. I'm not ready to make a final judgement after only a couple of pots. I also haven't made any in my "Freedom Press" yet.

It IS quite good. If called upon to briefly describe it, I would use the terms "smooth, mild and mellow."

At the going price, however, I doubt that I will be consuming great quantities of JBM.

If you actually paid 40 flat, that's about 10-12% off the going rate. As for whether or not it's actually worth $40/lb., that's as relative as whether or not a bottle of bourbon is worth $200, or a painting $10 million, or a CEO $25 million plus $7 million Christmas bonus and $250 million golden parachute.

The most salient point is that you did say it was quite good, and indeed, it is.

As for what "is" is, it is also good to see you around a bit more these days. Always a chair for the Old Star in town. :D

The coffee I bought was Jablum Brand, packaged inside an outer wrapping of a burlap bag. I just got a half-pound at a price of $19.99.

I have since discovered that Jablum offers their product on their web site for considerably less, but then you have to pay FedEx shipping from Jamaica to your location. I haven't yet looked into how much that adds to the cost. Perhaps less for me here in Florida than for you in New York?

It's good to be able to visit the board more often. Thanks for the welcome back.

Good News, I guess...........

Well, the good news (I guess) is that I REALLY ENJOY Jamaican Blue Mountain.

The fact that it is so expensive makes it a not-unmixed blessing.

At first I thought it was a bit too mild, but I made the grind in my burr grinder a bit finer and added a few more beans and found a flavor that I really like.

I will probably be continuing to have JBM occasionally, but at the cost it will not be my usual daily cup.

All in all, I'm glad I found the "real stuff" because the alleged JBM that I had gotten previously was a "blend" and wasn't nearly as good.

Yeah, those Jamaican Blue Mountain blends. 3,000 or more beans in a pound, depending on bean size of course, and what, about 17 Jamaican Blue Mountain beans?

:cryinlaugh: :pumpkin: :rotflmao: :cryinlaugh:

BIG MISTAKE !

Well, I was in the Fresh Market grocery this week and made a big, big mistake!

The JBM was laying there, most inviting, but I was feeling a little cheap so I thought I'd give a JBM blend another try.

Yuck!

The blend is inferior to lots of non-blended coffees that are not nearly as good as JBM.

Never again!!!

(Does someone else already have that motto? :D )

JBM "blend," huh?

:shame: :shame: :shame:

Sorry for your loss!!! Try the real thing, . . .

the next time you can blow $11 on a quarter pound of coffee. Nothing like the real thing. I mean, what's worth anything, right? Pappy's 23 ain't worth nearly the price you'll pay, but there's people who like it, and don't mind paying it. Same with JBM.

Kona is as high as I go on the $$$ for coffee , & since I have it just on Sundays I dont worry about it to much , but JBM is just to much to spend for a cup of coffee , I was drinking the kona during the week but then I missed it on Sunday with my Sunday Morning smoke , so I am back to one PRESS pot a week , I brewed up one liter this morning & had it finished before noon , didnt get my morning smoke till a few minutes before noon , didnt finish it till almost 2 , & Enjoyed evey Puff of the Maduro Masterpiece from 1996 I think, the tag was worn so much I had to take a guess on what it said . , well enjoy the coffee & am ready for a second pot of Ethopian Harrar this one is decafe & I added a big extra scoop to the pot & its not as bad as you would think decafe to be , Enjoy, Vince

I've gotta try some, I just ordered 8oz. bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain beans to try, it cost $18.00, hope it's worth it. LOL
Where is the best place that some of you buy yours?

Jerry

I received my Jamaican Blue Mountain today, and it was some of the best I've tried. So, where do you JBM drinkers buy you coffee from? I paid $18.00 for 8 oz. from Coffee Specialties, I know some sites claim to roast it after you place your order. I don't know if I will drink this all the time, but it's sure nice to have a real cup of coffee from time to time. I've seen the JBM blends in some stores but it can't be the same.

Jerry

JB

Bought my first half pound of JB years ago on the advice of a friend. It was spectacular to say the least. Best coffee I ever had.
A year of so ago I bought a pound and didn't read or wasn't provided with the fine print which would have told me it was a blend and not pure JB. It was no better than my regular coffee but a lot pricier.

Yes folks, always be careful to look for fine print when buying Jamaican Blue Mountain, or even Hawaiian Kona. If you see the words "style" or "blend," head for the hills. There might be five genuine Jamaican Blue Mountain beans in a pound.