I remember my first cigar...

Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts | 0+
USA
cigarforum visit*

what's up I'm new here. I wanted to introduce myself.

I have been smoking cigars for a few years now. It's the only thing I smoke as long as weed doesn't count. It's possibly the greatest way to spend time, especially if I'm sharing a cigar with a girl I'm seeing. I've had some of the most intimate talks afterwards when smoking.

There are so many cigars out there and I don't always like to be spontaneous. Came to talk and get recommendations of cigars.

thanks!

Welcome ! Before anyone can suggest anything for you, they probably need to know what you are looking for in a cigar--- strength, flavor, cost, etc.

I think my first cigar was a candela Garcia y Vega that I bought in a PX at Ft.Campbell, KY after I finished basic training there in 1969. Something about the "green cigar" appealed to me ... until I actually smoked the thing. It's a minor wonder that I gave cigars another try years later, and discovered the difference between cheap mass-market stick and premium handmade cigars.

I can almost get that bitter taste back in my mouth thinking about green wrapped/candella cigars. I have heard the the ones Illusion make are very good.

I've been reduced to buying gas-station cigars when I'm rambling around the countryside and find that I've emptied the traveldor. (Stupid Garmin doesn't have an up-to-date database of B&Ms.) For me the best of a bad lot these days are Dutch Masters; they have one or two vitolas I actually semi-like. Just be careful not to get the "flavored" ones by mistake. I once got a pack of DM coronas that were grape-flavored, they tasted like the smoke was filtered through a hookah filled with Nehi.

Even with machine-mades, I have to cut the head or the tar builds up quickly through that little hole.

Fortunately, I just snagged a 15-stick Herfador from CBid to replace the Xikar box that's MIA; that's enough capacity to keep me in decent cigars for three or four days of travel ... probably.

Camo, you might want to slip a humidity pack under the bottom foam of the herfador if you find the cigars getting wrapper issues.

Camo, you might want to slip a humidity pack under the bottom foam of the herfador if you find the cigars getting wrapper issues.

Excellent advice, tonygraz, thank you. I was already thinking along those lines but didn't know if the bottom foam layer was glued down. :confused:

Good news! The 15-count Herfador arrived with several other items from CBid. Equally-good news: my Xikar 15-stick traveldor finally turned up; it had gotten buried under other things in a corner. Traveldors of this size are useful for more than just "travel humidors" of course, All told, I now have capacity for 250-275 cigars without commissioning a tupperdor or coolerdor; that's enough to keep me happily enjoying a variety for quite awhile.:D