In dire need of help!!

Joined Aug 2005
2K Posts | 0+
Armpit of the world....Al Asad, Iraq
This is a desperate call to all veterans.....

Last night I was checking my fridgador to make sure all of my levels were good and they were. However, when I looked at the back of the unit I found A LOT of water buildup! I panicked and pulled all of my cigars out only to find that 5 of the cedar trays had mold on them and over HALF of my cigars were so moist that they fell apart in my hands!

I gotta tell you, I felt sick to my stomach....still do.

I threw away the sticks that were not salvageable either because of moisture or mold.

Luckily, the sticks I had in boxes were not affected that much, maybe just a little bit soft.

My problem is that I don't have anywhere else to put my sticks. So I had to wipe the inside of the fridge and place the boxes back in. This morning I checked it and there was very little condensation on the back of the fridge. I want to put of of my sticks in my cooler but then it'll be too hot for them.

Am I screwed?!

I have quite a few sticks left that I would hate to lose.

Also, should I worry about my other sticks getting mold even if it didn't have any visible mold?

WHAT DO I DO?!

I am not an expert on this, but could you do a cooledor for the time being until you have a better option. You can get pretty inexpensive coolers at walmart, or probably in your case the commissary.

Jeff,
You may want to run the condensor drain tube OUT of your fridge altogether, and put a drain cup of some sort on the outside. That is the main issue with "regular" compressor wine fridges VS the thermoelectric models...

Sorry for your dilemma bud...

Any VIP smokes among the casualties?

been there done that...

Stop worrying!

First there is a clog in the drain. I had to blow air through the hole. I am not sure what it was but it was there. the other thing I did was put a shelf in that if that did happen it would not be a issue because it lifted the cigars up a bit.

if you need anything else let me know.

I went through the same thing with my old frigidor. Like Chris said, just clear the tube, maybe drill it out like I did and put something on the bottom in case it happens again.

not much to add despite what has already been said, but be sure you clean out the inside of your unit and be very attentive with your stuff. Mold spores are a killer.

I say we "bomb" the devil dog with some dry sticks of our own to help a defender of democracy and freedom out.

I bet my package blows y'alls away.

Who is up to the challenge? :twisted:

BTW I know he is partial to the "X" and the Fire god.