Indoor/Outdoor?

Joined Feb 2003
316 Posts | 0+
California
I was wondering guys. Here in San Francisco, it's hard to find a place to smoke indoors. All the places are downtown, land of traffic and no parking. So I've been smoking my cigars outside in the park, backyard, etc. Is the experience of cigar smoking different/better indoors vs outdoors?

i prefer indoors because it is very hot here. If the room doesn't have a way to clear the smoke indoors can be not so enjoyable for me. I also take in more of the flavor indoors.

I agree with respect to the aroma and the heat. There's nothing worse than smoking outside on a hot day and getting sweat all over a cigar. Although at night as long as there's little or no breeze, it can be very enjoyable outside. But there are positives to both arguments. Of course we could always meet for a smoke at Sherlock's Haven when I get up there 8)

I smoke outside almost exclusively, because there's almost nowhere around here that allows smoking indoors. I can smoke inside the smokeshop here, and in my dad's woodshop, and that's about it.

I'm afraid I'm stuck smoking outside regardless. Even in the hot and humid summer. I go out on the deck and light the citronela torches to keep the bugs away and do my thing. Only other place I smoke is in my truck on the way to and from work. I'd love to find somewhere nearby that has a smoking room.

What got me thinking about this. I notice when I blow out the smoke it has really good aromas. But then it quickly dissipates. But if I was indoors the smoke would linger around longer? Giving me more time to enjoy those great aromas?

Exactly...what's the point of smoking a fine cigar if one of its greatest attributes is lost.

i know a few people who won't smoke outside unless golfing. they swear that you can't enjoy it. I agree its better inside but if i can only smoke outside then i still enjoy that everytime.

I smoke in a shed, can't call it a garage, it would hold 5 cars, ( live in the country) but when winter comes there is a cigar friendly bar in town that will be the only place that I'll be able to enjoy a good cigar.... Temps in Minnesota get mighty cold!! And of course SWMBO will not alow smoking in the house......damn!!!!!

Chickenfried, you could also just go to Murray's Cigar Lounge - open 24 hours, indoors, and you can have a drink, too.

I tend to do most of my smoking outside, though, as well. I agree that you certainly lose a bit of the lingering aroma, but I think that if it's a beautiful SF day and you're sitting somewhere looking out over the ocean with a favorite puro in hand... well, that's just not a bad combination.

A new experience for me was smoking on the rooftop at work during a meeting. The cigar turned out much better than the meeting! :D

Thanks for the info Sander. I'll have to check out Murrays. I'm a nightowl so maybe late at night. Any idea how the parking is in the area?

Anywhere I smoke is good!

I Love smoking out and about.
The wife and I go for walks with stick in hand!

In the fall we go out and sit by the river and watch the trout do
their spawn dances. In NY we love to just walk and smoke.

The only draw back to being outside is when it is really windy.
It can effect the burn, but inside, outside or even upside down
is all better with a good smoke!

I'm with you, C.C. I'm outside all the time for work. I also can smoke inside in the barn tack room. I'll take it when I can get it. I was up this morning early and had my first cigar of the day, (out of 5), at 7:00 am. It was an Ashton VSG Tres Mystique...wonderful and full of flavor.

Another advantage of smoking outdoors....it keeps the bugs away.

bugs is something i forgot... they are as bad as the heat here.

A VSG at 7:00am? You are more of a man than I :shock:

I agree with CastleCrest inside or out it's all good :D sitting on the beach watching the sun set over Lake Michigan is one of the best. I probably smoke more outside than in, unless it is to windy. In the winter here in Michigan I usually go to one of the cigar friendly bars downtown Grand Rapids.

Bildo,
I smoked menthol cigarettes for many years, and I'm (an old fart) of the generation that smoked other "weeds" for many years, also. We Baby Boomers have strong lungs. A VSG is nothing....but pure pleasure.

i love a good vsg at 7... but at 7 PM :D
I am about 30 mins from waking up at 7am.