inhaling

Switchblade45 said:
I have found on occasion, that if I smoked a larger cigar too fast(over a year since it happened), even though I don't inhale, I would get pretty sick from the nicotine overdose. Empty Stomach was usually the culprit, but I found that if I ete a bit, then took my time, and really enjoyed the cigar as it was meant to be, I was fine....much worse nicotine rush than my first 'dip'. First time it happened, I was clueless.
With some cigars, I have to give it a bit of a French Inhale to get a few more of the taste notes, or let the smoke go to the back of my throat to make it go through my nose.
The Drew Estate 'Nectar' Ambrosia was one such smoke. Very strong clove so it almost demanded more creative measures, and toying with to enjoy the smoke's note. That sucker took me right back to the old 80's clubs with the DayGLo Girls, and their clove cigarettes(Oh man those were some days!)

I've been there Switch. A few (respectable ones) have put me on the brink. Specifically, Partagas-Black, Pirates Gold, and Maximus. Don't get me wrong! I like a full bodied smoke. An Ashton VSG (a favorite) is almost heavier than anything. But the above three put a nicotine ass-woopin' on me to the point of near nausea. Maybe it was a bad night. Nonethless, I haven't danced with any of them since.

DM

At times I have likened the effects of certain cigars to having Earnie Shavers materialize in front of me and slam me with that short, sneaky right hand of his that would suddenly fell so many opponents in the ring. Unfortunately for him, Earnie couldn't finish off guys like Holmes and Ali.

The point is however, that there are strong cigars, and there are weak cigars which occasionally will give you one or two strong ones per box, and then there is smoking a cigar on an empty stomach or too fast. In a case such as the latter you will also feel the nicotine overdose effect, even from a weak cigar.

As for strong cigars, it depends on the types of tobacco used. I personally find most Cubans to be strong cigars, even the ones that are famous for being rather mild.

Bloofington said:
At times I have likened the effects of certain cigars to having Earnie Shavers materialize in front of me and slam me with that short, sneaky right hand of his that would suddenly fell so many opponents in the ring. Unfortunately for him, Earnie couldn't finish off guys like Holmes and Ali.

The point is however, that there are strong cigars, and there are weak cigars which occasionally will give you one or two strong ones per box, and then there is smoking a cigar on an empty stomach or too fast. In a case such as the latter you will also feel the nicotine overdose effect, even from a weak cigar.

As for strong cigars, it depends on the types of tobacco used. I personally find most Cubans to be strong cigars, even the ones that are famous for being rather mild.

Good point. This could be user error on my part. Occasionally, I'll just blaze through a smoke, oblivious to it's potentially staggering effect. Smoking a good cigar could be compared to making love: Do it nice and easy. Too much too fast and you're done! :eek:

DM

switch... not to change the subject on this thread to much but what is going on with that cigar Mr. Drew is making for you?

"Cigar smoking is meant to be a palatable hobby, if you're going to inhale, you might as well be smoking swishers or other drug store sticks, if it's not the flavor you want, then go with the cheap stuff."

You got it! I was a cigarette smoker for over 30 years, finally quitting for good in '96. I didn't want cigs any more, but after a few years found myself missing the tobacco taste. I started out on the smaller cigars, and predictably moved on up to the Toro, Bellicoso, Pyramide and Torpedo. I never deliberately inhaled, although even smelling the smoke is inhaling. You have to get it in the nasal passages to really taste it. Once in a very blue moon an old reflex kicks in and I absent-mindedly will start to do a cigarette-style inhale, but that wakes me up fast! My favorites now are; Helix XP and Partagas 1845, both Torpedos (or Pyramides). I never smoke more than one per day, and a lot less than that in the winter, because I do not smoke in the house, car, or office. I also don't chew on the butt. When I throw it away, it's dry on the end. For these reasons, I really am not concerned about any of the obvious dangers of cigar smoking. I figure I drove the nails into my coffin smoking cigarettes all those years. Might as well have a 'gar and relax while waiting for the end! My cigar smoking represents a quiet time for me; watching the sun go down after a day of yard work or maybe a hellish day at the office.

By the way, if anyone follows the cigar world as far as the old masters and their associates in the business world, music world, etc. are concerned, many of them die quite old. These are often men who have smoked one, two, three or more cigars a day for many decades of their lives. Musician/Composer Compay Segundo is just one example, having recently died at 94.

The test blends were set for Maduro only. I asked(begged?) for a test blend in Cameroon also. They will arrive as soon as the blends are set. Once I select the blend/wrapper that really makes the cigar that one unforgettable stick, Production will start

It seems as though the thread is straying a bit from the original question, but I'd like to throw in my $.02.

I guess the bottom line is, yes, I inhale...however, it's not for the nicotine rush. As a matter of fact, I shy away from cigars that tend to make me lightheaded. I'm in a program of recovery, 3 yrs in April, and I'm very uncomfortable with any feeling close to anebriation.

I've tried only puffing but it just doesn't taste the same. I have a ritual of sorts...(like most cigar smokers I suspect.) I puff and puff and puff, then that 4th or 5th draw I inhale. The smoke tastes much better that way, in my opinion. With this system, some cigars become intolerable with 2.5" on more to go, but my favorites I smoke right down 'till I can't hold it.