Interesting read on humidors, building them, aging, etc..

Joined Feb 2006
816 Posts | 0+
West Hartford, CT
My wife and I are in the early stages of finding land and building a home and ofcourse I'm thinking ahead so I can incorporate into the build (and build cost) a walk-in humidor with attached smoking room/xbox/guy hangout room and possible wine cellar off that as well....

the great thing about it is that my wife is all for it!! anyway, its still very very early in the whole project but as im finding information i figure id post up some of the more interesting stuff i find... below is link to a good read i found regarding materials, a bit of design, proper storage, etc...

http://web.archive.org/web/200410201135 ... ook20.html

its an interesting read and i did learn a few things from it, however there seem to be a few mistakes made.

i think we have covered here many times that flavors dont "marry" between cigars as much as people think they do. this article sugests that in a walk in humidor if you have one open box next to another open box the two will pick up flavors from each other.
i dont see how this could be in any way true.

the other thing that bothered me about this article is this:
"Hard" water vapor, blown into the room, can carry mineral particles, which settle on your cigars, boxes, and shelves as a fine, white dust. To solve this, you should preferably use distilled water, although soft tap water or bottled "purified" water will also do, and at lower cost

though i would use distilled water anyway, hard water that is evaporated will not carry minerals. I mean what does this guy think "distilled" means? isnt distilation when water (liquid) is heated and/or evaporated then condensed again to purify it? minerals wont evaporate with the water.

id use distilled water because hard water would gunk up the humidification device and because there may be other things that CAN evaporate that may effect the taste of the cigars. The minerals arent a factor.

besides that i always wondered how the room would be sealed off from the rest of the house. i should have known that a plastic would be used.

thanks for posting.

The only way the minerals are a factor is in the humidifiation element. Now I could see Pieces falling into a fan and getting spewed out into the humi.