I've never smoked the same cigar twice...

Joined Jul 2006
285 Posts | 0+
Chicago burbs
I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but before you call "b/s", let me explain.

For me, smoking has always been an in-the-moment sort of experience. Even if I do have the same stick in my hand, the moment can never be repeated twice.

You see, I don't smoke very often, maybe a few times a week, but when I do, I take in everything around me, all my senses are at work. The sounds of my back yard, the sights of a baseball game, the company of a good friend. When I light up, I instantly begin to remember all these things along with the events of my life at the time. I remember camping trips with old friends I haven't talked to in a while, I remember my wedding day, and buying my first house. I remember the birth of my daughter (four weeks ago) and I'll remember when we bring her home from the hospital for the first time (hopefully in a couple more months, she was 12 weeks premature).

Smoking has been an experience to me for many years, one that I don't take for granted. A special time all to myself, when memories are formed and old ones are reflected upon.

And every smoke is a unique experience for me, that can never be repeated.

What does smoking mean to you?

That's interesting. I've never smoked the same cigar twice in a row, that's for sure. I don't have any regular cigar that I like to smoke constantly, because I want each time to be unique. I only smoke about 100-125 cigars a year these days, with a high of maybe 250 a few years ago, so it gives me the opportunity for variety, which I like in my cigar smoking.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter and my best wishes for her health and recovery.

Now onto the question...

Usually I smoke a cigar a day and thats after the day is complete, when I get home from work, eat and get into relax mode. While I smoke I will reflect on the day that just passed and think about the things I could have done better, what I did well and what my plans are for the following day. Having said that, I would say that smoking for the most part for me means quiet reflection and personal inventory taking.

Capt said:
Getting away from my wife! :wink:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ditto!

double D said:

I dont have much time these days. i work more hours than i care to. when im not working at work, im working on the lawn/house/wedding plans/whatever crisis is going on. cigars are my time. I smoke about 2-3 times a week at most. (way less as of late) when i smoke a cigar its time set for me that no one can take away. i do what i want then. i drink what i want and i smoke what i want.

...man im selfish

Grerat statement for a posting for sure, Congrats on the Baby , things will never be the same at your place any more, My Baby is almost 34 now & still I havent had things return to normal like it was before she was born !Now it is the grandsons & maybe great grandchildren some day ( but not to soon I hope ) , I do some a bit more than I should hahahaha & I understand what you say about never smoking the same cigar ever again, I am still looking for that Magical taste I got with my First hand rolled cigar after smoking the machine made stuff for many years , I dont think I will ever dupilcate that first cigar , it was so dammmm goood I was hooked from the first one, I did go back & forth for a few years , but about 20/25 years ago I went strictly hand made , well not 100% of the time < I still grad a garcia Vega or a Marsh wheeling ever so often, like when I am out & about run into a few friends & dont have enough cigars on me to get home with out a smoke is taboo, & some times the only thing open is a gas station or a drug store & you are stuck with what ever they have, & there is is one place I stop for Rice pudding when I am close & I always get an El Producto Queen or a Robert Burns Black watch when I am there for the ride home, even if I have a hand rolled in my travel Humidor, just tradition ! Enjoy, Vince

Smoking means free time to me now, making it all the much better. I was smoking two to three a day for a while and now end up smoking one or two normal size cigars a week now. I smoke Fuente Exquisitos, and and CAO Cariocas more often, but those are only 30 minute sticks.

Sometimes I wish I could smoke more, but those one or two a week are made all the sweeter by the wait.

BTW, I see your in the "the burbs," which ones would they be?

BTW, I see your in the "the burbs," which ones would they be?

I'm in the west side of Carpentersville, off Randall road. Also called "new c-ville" by some.

There's a new cigar shop just up the street from me - Goodfella's Cigars - that has a fair selection.

Alright. You're not that far at all. Ever been to House of Tobacco in Algonquin? They have a big walk-in and very reasonable prices. That's where I go.

Like with wine, smoking the same cigar over and over you really get to know that cigar and pick up on subtle flavors.

I'll have a favorite cigar for a month then, try something else.

Congrats on the new baby, double D!

iminaquagmire said:
Alright. You're not that far at all. Ever been to House of Tobacco in Algonquin? They have a big walk-in and very reasonable prices. That's where I go.

Nope, but I'll be there tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

Congrats on the new baby, double D!

Thank you kindly...and thanks to everyone else as well for their best wishes. I've only been registered here for two days, but there sure are some great people here, I can tell already!

First of all, congratulations DD on the new baby, I hope she gets healthy and strong and can go home quickly.

I, too, smoke a wide variety of cigars. With the exception of a couple of "regulars" that I buy in 5-packs, I rarely smoke the same cigar more than once. But this has drawbacks also. Because I smoke so many different types, brands, blends, etc., I find it hard to distinguish different flavors and tastes in all the cigars I smoke.

I'm gonna take a page from Brenda's book and pick one cigar to smoke (almost) exclusively for about a month. My hope is to acquire a taste and familiarity of the cigar over that time period. Then, when I do smoke something different, I'll have a regular go-to cigar to make a "comparison" to and, hopefully, be able to distingush and actual difference, which I can't do right now.

Capt said:
double D said:

Why would you ever want to do that? If I were you I would want to be as close as possible at all times to your wife. :wink:

phisherman said:
Capt said:
double D said:

Why would you ever want to do that? If I were you I would want to be as close as possible at all times to your wife. :wink:

I am sure everyone knows I am kidding. My wife always comes out with me when I smoke. I think the main reason is I get very calm when I smoke, so if she tells me how much that new purse is, I don't blow a gasket! Se is a great person to hang out with. Just ask Bildo and Alex how cool she is, even at 2 am! :lol:

Congrats on the Baby!

I often will smoke the same cigar often, even back to back. For me it has helped me understand consistency in a particular cigar and also, as Brenda said it helps me pick up on the sublte nuances in a smoke.