jim beam vs wild turkey ?

Joined May 2003
523 Posts | 0+
Dixie
My next purchase will most likely be jim beam black. Someone I know who is also a fan of mcallan scotch like I am, recommended I try wild turkey. However someone else I know said to stay away as its rather nasty.

On the bourbon scale, where would jim beam (or jim beam black) rank with wild turkey ?

How does a good bourbon taste compared to a single malt scotch, if there are words to compare ?

Well, again, as with cigars, so it is with whiskey, which Jim Beam vs. which Wild Turkey? Since you've named Jim Beam Black or perhaps regular Jim Beam, that's a good start, but vs. which Wild Turkey? That's very important. There's still one Wild Turkey product on my Top 25 (see End of The Season, New No. 2 thread for list), and I also favor Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but if it's any other Wild Turkey bourbon, I couldn't say. I do like Jim Beam Black very much, and out of the 72 bourbons I've tried lifetime, I'd compare it favorably with Rare Breed, with Rare Breed getting the edge.

I went to the store earlier and got a small bottle of JB black. Poured a small glass and placed in the freezer as I do with my favorite scotch. First thing I did however, was open the top and smell. Reminded me of a good scotch, but a bit "stouter". Not to change the subject, but I dont even think ill bother to try wild turkey any time soon. Maybe some of the "rare breed" blend.

Tasting - Well, Id have to describe the difference between JB (black) and my Mcallan single malt scotch as the JB has more wood aspects/aroma whereas the scotch has more grain/malt aspects. Just my opinion.

Overall - Jim Beam black is DEFINATELY something I will be buying more of. I also think this blend would go very well with a good cigar. At present though, im sipping on a glass of it straight , and chilled from the freezer. mmmm good !

:p

[edited to add]
This was the first bourbon ive had in probably over a year. Ive been drinking scotch since getting a taste for mcallan 12yr.

Well, of all the Wild Turkey products, if you can get hold of my No. 19, which is a discontinued product, that'll be a real treat, and cheaper than Rare Breed too, IF you can find it. Make sure it's the original 101 proof, as I hear the new 90 proofer isn't anything to write home about. As for regular Jim Beam bourbon, it's okay, but nothing great. If I had only about $15-16 in my pocket, and I was told I had to buy a Jim Beam product, it would be the rye and not their regular bourbon. The rye, like any 80 proof product, is weak, but tasty, and bolder than Jim Beam regular (or "White").

I am a single malt drinker, I dont enjoy bourbon, Lord knows I have tryed more than I should have ., they are all made from at lest 51% corn, that makes them sweet, I just dont like sweet drinks , to save your self a lot of work & CASH , stay with the Macallen & let the rest of the crazys ( yes crazys) enjoy the corn whiskey, hahahahaha

Wellllllll, if they are a bourbon with a very high rye content, as is my No. 1 (A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 at 37% rye), a bourbon can also contain a lot of snappy, tangy, spicy flavors. I will go along with Vince however, that one of the things I am most attracted to about bourbon is the fact that it appeals to my raging sweet tooth, which I've had since birth, but of courrrrrrse. 8)