Kenya AA

Joined Aug 2005
193 Posts | 0+
Virginia
I just bought a pound of this and was wondering how long you guys let it sit in the Freedom Press before you press the plunger down. I have let other coffee's sit for 2:45 to 3:30 but I'm not sure this is correct since I have only had my press for a little while. I'm just trying to get some ideas of what a real good cup should taste like.

You meant minutes, right? I have a friend, a true coffee guru, over on another web site, who says absolutely, positively not more than 3 1/2 minutes before the plunge, and to accomplishe the plunge in NO LESS than 15 seconds. I let the coffee for anywhere from eight to twenty minutes if I'm doing stuff, and I occasionally press it down in about eight to ten seconds. I like my coffee, so do other folks. My friend says my procedure's okay, but he also sticks to his hard and fast rules. Just try a lot of things and see what works for you. Remember, it's coffee, not stock market derivative analysis, and it's for you.

I heard widely different thoughts - everything from 20 seconds to 5 minutes. So, I did a test! Did 4 different batchs - 20 seconds, one minute, two minutes, and four minutes.

I didn't notice much difference between them - the 20 seconds seemed a little flatter, the four minutes seemed a little more bitter. But not a huge difference. So, I shoot for 3 minutes, but if I'm a little over/under, it's no big deal.

I like four minutes; but that's me. I find that anything under 2 minutres is flat. I will have to try the 3 1/2 minutes.

I usually just do drip.

Yes, I do mean minutes. I usually let it sit for about 2 3/4 minutes, then swirl the grounds, then press. I enjoy the coffee it produces, I was just wondering if this is how the more accomplished drinkers do it.

I don't think you find accomplished drinkers over here; just some knuckle heads that like cigars and coffee. I would say to just play around with it. See what works best for you with different times and different types of beas; even different grind types. Have fun with it.

Yeah I know. I meant the term "accomplished" loosely (sp?). I know we are all drinkers of some sort!

I've been drinking gourmet coffee for 16 years, and have done quite a bit of study and discussion regarding many subjects in the field, although I'm by no means up to the level of some guys on HCF, or others in the field. And they have guys/gals who are truly "in the field" of coffee over there, from growers to roasters.

I have used a Freedom Press for most of those 16 years, various models, and have never used less than six or seven minutes time before doing the press. I swirl the grounds with a chopstick after pouring the water in, and then again after the desired brew time, then press down. I really haven't found any noticeable difference in taste, whether it's been seven minutes or twenty. I don't let it get past ten minutes on purpose. That's usually the result of getting involved in some on line conversation or a long e-mail. :D

Thanks for the info Bloof. I made my first press of the Kenyan AA this morning and after I poured the water in I let it sit for 2 1/2 minutes, did a little swirl, and slowly pressed it. What a wonderful cup! The first thing that I noticed was the slightest hint of fruit, and the smell was wonderful. I'm going to be looking forward to this every morning!

It is a good idea to let your coffee in your press steep for no longer than 4 minutes. The good stuff in ground coffee is extremely soluble, the bad stuff creeps in the longer you let it steep.

The instructions with mine said "4 minutes", then it said for finer grinds less and for coarser grinds more. I usually give it about 10s in my el-cheapo $20 Bodum grinder & steep 4 minutes in the plunger pot*. That seems to work well for me.

* Literal translation of the name for these devices in some European countries. I find it nice & descriptive, though marketing probably hates it since it reminds them of something I keep in the bathroom.

What amount of coffee are you guys using in these?

Welcome over here Nova, good to see you posting here on Amback.

Multiply the size of your french press (in fluid oz.) by 0.057. This is the weight of the coffee (in grams) you should be using. Of course, you mileage may vary.

Thanks Barco C!