Kuzi's Cigar Catalog

My 06's seem to be smoking fine right now. Starts solidly in the medium and moves just a hair into full bodied towards the end. real nice citrusy notes with that cuban twang. Getting these aged past 2 years is going to be hard for me.

Hatchetman said:
I think kuzi means it was gifted to him...no box to look at...

I understand that, just stating that it really has nothing to do with how long it is in a humidor it just could be to young.

yea... no box code. i figured that with 10 months in the humi it couldnt be all that bad. maybe it was too young. all ISOMs that i have are in the aging humi right now. most will stay there at least a year.
i have just a small handfull. a smaller handfull with box codes.

That's interesting. I have a box of Romeo Y Julieta Churchills. It is a small cardboard box that is basically a 3 pack. Each one is individually tubed. I received as a gift last year and have been trying to determine the age. Is there also a code on this box? I don't see one if there is. There is a bar code with the numbers

8 500001 031093

I have one left, in humi for almost a year. It has been in the tube the entire time. Is this correct storage?

i always leave tubos in the tubes.

the box code refers to cubans. im not sure non cubans have it.

They are Cubans.

From what Barcochris tells me they don't put the codes on the 3 and 5 pack boxes.

apratt said:
From what Barcochris tells me they don't put the codes on the 3 and 5 pack boxes.

ya learn something every day. im not to up on cuban cigars. I only have a handfull and those were all gifts. I think only 2 of them have box codes to go with.

im still very much a beginner.

apratt said:
They are Cubans.

I am not saying never but I have only had one pack that had the boxcode on it.

Actually I have had a few of them that have - the Epi 2 was one - I can't remember if the other was the JP Cazzadore. They were both on the inside flap.

Thats interesting about the JLP's. I need to pay closer attention next time I rip the plastic off of them.

La Aroma de Cuba

1-4-08 been in humi since 11-29-07

La Aroma de Cuba Monarch (6x50)
Wrapper: Cuban seen Honduran grown
Filler: Nicaraguan, Cuban seed Honduran grown.

The Wrapper on this cigar is a dark natural brown with very light veins. There isn’t much tooth to it but there are a few predominant veins and it’s a bit oily. The band art has always been a favorite of mine. The overall presentation of this cigar is great.
The unlit aroma of this La Aroma is fairly light. Its earthy and hey like. The lick before the cut has a bit of black pepper to it.

The draw is a bit on the hard side. I guess it isn’t too bad. The unlit taste is rich and has some bakers chocolate to it.

The first few puffs have a round and almost meaty taste to it. There is a sweetness that is almost vegetal in nature. The aftertaste is earthy and very short.
By about an inch or so in, the round meat has developed into an earthy leather with a natural tea-like sweetness. The finish is about the same.
Approaching the midpoint there is a bit of an uneven burn and a corrective light is needed. A very round mild sweetness has developed on all levels: the initial taste, the “middle” taste, and the finish or aftertaste. Its very good.

Nearing the last third or so the draw has loosened up a bit.

By the end of this cigar I find myself wondering why I don’t just break down and buy myself a box of these. They are affordable and wonderful. I’ve smoked these several time before and every time they are good.

Burn: 8
Draw: 7
Taste: 9
Aftertaste: 9
Construction: 8 –this would have been better barring burn and draw issues
Appearance: 10
Feel: 10

Overall: 8.8
4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

p.s. I’ve smoked this in other shapes and sizes. The monarch is the best

Punch Rare Corojo 2006

…sorry this one is late.

1-22-08 been in humi since 12-1-06

Punch Rare Corojo Pita (6.1 x 50 box pressed)
Wrapper: Sumatra Seed Ecuadorian grown
Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican.

The first notable thing about the Punch Rare Corojo is that it is not a corojo at all. So… why is it called “Rare Corojo?” If I remember correctly, (and I might not, I’ve been known to be wrong) this cigar and (mis)nomer came out before the corojo wrapper was well known and wide spread. It was blended to taste like a corojo. It became popular and so did the actual corojo wrapper. The blend, and the name, stuck. But, this particular corojo is so rare that it does not exist.

The cellophane on this particular cigar has a fair amount of yellowing to it. The unlit smell is strong and rasin-esque. It also has a bit of an earthy smell to it. The lick before the cut has little taste to mention. Its cut with a punch and a very small crack is made in the cap. The draw test yields a draw a touch on the stiff side but I wouldn’t complain about it. It has a hint of coco on the flavor.

The first few puffs are unusually smooth. Most cigars need 2-3 minutes to “settle” after the light. This did not. The taste is round and earthy and a bit on the coffee side. Im not exactly sure how to describe the after taste besides “the classic corojo aftertaste” … that slight spice/smooth/sweet thing.

The first ash, and subsequent ashes fell at about an inch. The burn is fairly even throughout save a few minor runs. Nothing required a relight.

The overall flavor profile stays about the same with a few notable nuances. At about the mid point it is more coffee than anything else and the aftertaste is shorter. As it progresses from that point the coffee fades more to a chocolate taste.

The year plus in the humidor has done this cigar good. There is no harshness whatsoever. The smoothness of this cigar is wonderful; so much so that I may have to toy with the idea of adding another category to the review criteria: texture. (I’ll use the same as previous for this one though) I smoked it to the nub and not a bit of harshness or heat. Cool smoke all the way.

Draw: 9
Aftertaste: 8
Construction: 9
Appearance: 9
Feel: 9

Overall: 8.6
3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

had this cigar been reviewed with “texture” in the mix: 8.9

Liga Privada No.9

4-30-08 Been in humi since 3-14-08
Liga Privada No.9 by Drew Estates (6 x 52)
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Cuban seed Honduran grown.

This Cigar is a rich chocolaty brown with a fair amount of sheen to it. It feels like there is still a bit of the “peach fizz” left on it. The smell is straw-like, almost barnyard (but I wouldn’t go that far. The lick on the cap pre-cut has a bit of a bite to it. Cut with a punch. There is some resistance but this is no surprise because the cigar has a very firm feel to it. A draw test yields an near perfect draw with a light coco taste.
A toast of the foot and we’re off…
The light is very quick. The aroma before the first puff is lighter than I would have expected. The first few puffs are on the sweeter side and bring a bit of white pepper to the sides of the tongue.

As the cigar settles from the light it gets a thicker texture to it and has a hopsy/vegetal flavor to it. (hops—the stuff from beer) The after taste is a bit on the leather side and the spice becomes milder.

The ash holds on tenaciously and finally drops at 1.5 inches.

At the 1/3 point I am surprised at the combination of power and subtlety. Not many cigars have this combination. The strength doesn’t smack you in the face either. It envelops you. …Yet somehow, the word “intricate” comes to mind. The vegetal note is in itself complex and the spice comes and goes. A coco taste also comes and goes. The aftertaste is where most of this is going on, and it is wonderful. It lasts just long enough, never overstaying its welcome. I think the aftertaste is the highlight of the cigar.

The cigar is strong and forces me to smoke slowly. It keeps the smoke cool and the flavor good. I find it very relaxing.

With about 1/3 of the cigar left a light toasty flavor emerges. It reminds me of toasted rye bread. Other than that the flavor is about the same. Its about this point that I am glad that I ate a large dinner before I smoked this cigar.

There were a few burn issues in the last 1/3 of the cigar but nothing major.
Smoked to the nub.
Burn time: about 2 hours.

Taste: 8
Aftertaste: 10
Construction: 10

Overall: 9.0

Rocky Patel Honduran Classic

5-30-08 been in humi since 4-14-07
Rocky Patel Honduran Classic, Natural.
Toro 6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Honduran corojo
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan.

The cigar is a medium brown in color and is very smooth with a few prominent veins running through. The smell is light and very autumn in nature. The draw, after cutting with a punch, is a bit mossy and coco unlit.
The light is quick.
The first few puffs are earthy and a bit on the bitter side but it settles quickly. The earth remains and a classic corojo flavor comes out: leather, earth, and a bit of spice.
It burns very slow considering the very easy draw. There is a ton of smoke.

The first ash falls at just over an inch. Maybe a hint of coffee comes through. But not much other change.

Approaching the half way point the spice begins to develop more but is still not too strong. Its peppery. A few relights were required by this point. After the half way mark a “roundness” develops. It is thicker like I expect Honduran tobacco to be. The Honduran tobacco has less influence than I expected. It is defiantly a corojo cigar.

With less than 2.5 inches left the flavor begins to flatten out again. It is a medium to full body cigar, but more medium than full. I believe it’s the size that has given it more power.

Burn time: 2 hours 15 min.

I believe that this cigar would do better as a robusto. I also believe that this cigar is a “seasonal” cigar. To me a corojo is best smoked in the fall, just as the leaves are starting to fall, while sitting around the fire.

Draw: 8
Construction: 9
Feel: 8
Overall: 8.4
3 smoke rings (of 6) -- an average cigar

I wasn’t disappointed but I wasn’t exactly impressed either.

Gispert Natural

6-2-08 been in humi since 4-4-08
Gispert Natural
Robusto (5 x 54)
Wrapper: Ecuadorian grown Connecticut shade.
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan.

before i get too far into this review i would like to saythis. I love my dad. he is one of the people that got me into cigars. he has been on the prowel for a "cheap, good" cigar. those dont go together but whatever. this cigar was gifted to me by him for me to try to see what i think. every other cigar in that box he sent up was horrid. I started to look up things about this cigar and decided to do a review. my expectations were low.

There is a fairly heavy box press on this cigar. The smell is almost barnyard and tobacco. There isn’t enough “damp earth” to exactly call it barnyard, but if you have ever been in a tobacco barn in the Midwest during late fall early winter this is the smell that it is.. The lick on the cap before the cut has a very light taste, maybe wheat. The draw is on the tight side but I don’t foresee too many problems with it. It tastes a bit like earth, maybe mild mushrooms if they were dry.

The first few puffs are mild and a on the sweet side of grass. Usually “grassy” is a bad cigar quality but this isn’t too bad. This is the good grass note. There is defiantly a light earth taste to it.

The first ash falls at about ¾ of an inch. The sweetness has faded some and what is left is a mushroom grass sorta taste. The aftertaste is very short and very mild. The cigar has a classic “Conn. Shade taste” to it. The burn is uneven at this point and needs a corrective light.

Close to the middle of the cigar a woody note develops. It is very mild. From this point on the cigar really takes off. The woody note gains in presence and has a walnut (the nut not the raw lumber) quality to it. The earth taste is now in the aftertaste. It is very good.

The last quarter of the cigar has a desiccating factor. The mouth is left a bit dry. This makes the cigar harder to taste. Have water/ice tea when you try it. The smoke heats up a bit and a slight hint at harshness comes out signaling the end of this cigar.

Burn time: about 1 hour 20 min.

Draw: 7
Taste: 8.5
Construction: 8
Appearance: 8

Overall: 8.1

Recommended to: people that like a mild cigar that still builds as you go.
People that smoke a morning cigar with tea
People that want a short decent smoke with newer smokers

Rocky Patel Olde world Reserve Corojo

6-18-08 been in humidor since 4-30-07

Rocky Patel Olde world Reserve Corojo Toro (6.5 x 52)
Wrapper: corojo
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Nicaraguan.

The look and presentation of this cigar is wonderful. The two inch band around the foot looks great. The cigar itself looks great. It’s smooth for the most part with one or twp prominent veins. When taken out of the cellophane a rich tobacco smell (on the side of fruit) fills the air.
The lick on the cap is oily on the tongue and there is a slight spice to it.
Cut with my punch. The draw is slightly on the easy side. There is a mild sweet vegetal taste to the unlit draw, almost on the side of raisins.

The first few puffs are earthy and a bit spicy. The flavor is full. There is a grass element to the taste. It is fairly subtle but defiantly there. A bit of the familiar “corojo autumn” taste is there. I would like to say that it is the main flavor but the “main flavor” seems a bit undefined. The spice is mild and the finish is short.

By the time the first ash falls at just over an inch the grass note dissipates a little and some cream flavor/texture comes out. The spice is now, for sure, white pepper and is far back on the palate. It’s still fairly ambiguous as to definite taste. There is taste there but it is unclear as to what they all are. Grass and white pepper are really all that can be picked out. The grass has moved to the finish, which is light and short, and that makes it more tolerable.

Immediately following the first ash a fairly major corrective light is needed. A small note of harshness has also developed (probably due to the torch hitting it again)

Approaching the half way point the cigar has mellowed considerably. The flavor is much of the same just a bit more on the mellow side. It’s not as “round”

I have had several burn issues that resulted in quite a few corrective lights. (3 or 4 major ones and maybe more minor) I can’t help but think that this is a construction issue. The corrective lights are probably bringing on the element of harshness.

Continuing the last third is much of the same: A bit of earth, a bit of spice, and a bit of grass. The grass flavor is very detrimental. Smoked to the band.

Though this cigar wasn’t the worst I have had it isn’t the best.

Burn: 6.5
Aftertaste: 7.5

Overall: 8.1

Recommended to:
Those who like a grassy taste in cigars
Those who haven’t tried it yet
People not paying attention to price.

Camacho 1962

1-20-08 been in humi since 10-14-07

Camacho 1962 torpedo (6x54)
Wrapper: Habano seed corojo
Filler: Honduran grown Cuban seed.

The cigar looks great with an incredibly smooth wrapper. The pre-light smell is tobacco and barnyard. The lick on the cap is sweet and oily in the mouth. I cut with my double guillotine. The draw is damn near perfect.

After the light the first puffs are leather and a woody flavor. A spice quickly develops on the front third of the tongue and there is a round meaty flavor on the finish.

The first ash falls at almost two inches. By this point the spice has settled a tiny bit. It’s more cinnamon on the front of the palate and more pepper on the back of the palate. The aroma is cedar and the taste is still on the leather side. I find the finish to be short and the spice lingers the longest on the palate.

I find myself puffing into the wind because the aroma is that good. Unfortunately the cigar is burning faster than I thought it would. It isn’t hot, just fast. This will be a shorter smoke than I want.

By the half way point the burn is perfect and no corrective lights are needed. A sweet initial taste that is sweet comes out. This fades to a spicy earth with leather and the same round finish as before. The spice still lingers. It is quite good and literally makes my mouth water.

The ash holds tenaciously. The second ash doesn’t fall until well past the half way point. By the end of the cigar I only “ashed” a total of three times including setting the cigar down because it was done.

The last third of the cigar there is an increase in spice and the smoke warms a bit but it isn’t bad at all.

Burned to the burn (of my finger)

Burn time: about 1 hour 20 minutes (this is short for a cigar that is 6 x 52… at least for me it is)

All in all this cigar was good but there was something about the feel of the overall cigar that I found to be keeping it from being a “great” or “classic” cigar. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great cigar and ill probably buy more, but it isn’t THAT great.

Burn: 10
Construction: 10

Overall: 9.1

With some age this may get better.

Recommended to:
Camacho fans.
Corojo lovers
People who want the spice to be the most complex part of the cigar.

Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela

before i get to far...
I bought this cigar the day before i smoked it. I was in the local B&M rounding out the prize for the 1000 post contest that i will soon run and i decided to pick up a few 8-5-8s. this was one of them. when i got to the register the owner of the shop looks at it and tells me there is a crack int he wrapper and i should go select another one. so i did. after paying he then throws it in the bag -free of charge- and tells me that i should smoke it anyway. he cant sell it and there was a chance it wouldnt make much of a difference anyway.

to me this cigar on this day has two issues:
1)cracked wrapper
B)the RH is too high for my tastes.
it also says that the B&M has a nice guy for an owner.

7-15-08 been in humi since 7-14-08

Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela
6x47
Wrapper: Candela
Filler: Dominican.

This cigar looks good even though there are a few bumps in it. It’s a nice greenish hue –just what you would expect out of a candela. The smell is very light and is on the side of straw. The lick on the cap before the cut is very smooth in texture and there is little taste other than a tiny hint of indefinable spice.

Cut with a punch. The draw is perfect for me at this point. There is some resistance but it is not difficult. The unlit draw has a very good taste to it. It’s creamy and close to milk chocolate.

The first puffs are light but simultaneously bursting with flavor. There is a very spring-like-grass with a short burst of spice. The finish is on the nutty side and is very short. The aroma is also light and fleeting in the light breeze of my porch but what I can smell is good.

At the first ash (about an inch) the flavor has mellowed to a slightly sweet and wood flavor. The finish has a bit of white pepper or spicy cedar on it. There is also a hint of nut.

The burn is even until this point but the nicks and bumps in the wrapper are very close to the burn and since a cigar expands slightly when burning these flaws are being exacerbated. The binder has no problems at all.

A corrective light is soon needed but I strongly suspect that this is because of the wrapper issue. This has no effect of the flavor.

At the half way point a hint of grass sneaks back into the flavor profile and shortly thereafter the second ash falls. It seems that is the end of the wrapper issues.

The draw in the last half begins to tighten up a bit. Since this cigar has spent very little time in 65% RH I suspect that the slightly higher RH is causing this. My make shift draw poker (a paperclip) corrects this.

The last bits are about the same flavor. Woody, nutty, a bit of white pepper, and a spicy cedar. The smoke is cool all the way down. Burned to the burn.

Draw: 8

Overall: 8.6

recommended to:
Fuente fans that want a lighter smoke
Candela fans that want a Fuente
People that want a good “hot day smoke”
Those who want a breakfast cigar but don’t drink coffee. (it seems like it would be good with orange juice)

Gurkha Legend

7-21-08 been in humi since 12-21-07

Gurkha Legend Perfecto (6x60)
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Dominican.

The cigar is fairly light brown in color given that it is a maduro. There is one dominant vein running through the cigar. The foot seems to have a tiny bit of the end cap coming off. I don’t see this becoming a problem but I cant say that it looks perfect or is constructed perfectly. This perfecto tapers a bit slower towards the heard of the cigar.

The unlit smell is a fairly classic tobacco smell, but on the barnyard side. The lick before the cut has almost no flavor at all. It’s a tad fuzzy on the tongue. Cut with a double guillotine cutter. The draw is nearly perfect but a bit on the tight side.

Due to the small foot the light goes quickly and the first draws are slightly spicy slightly leathery, and slightly sweet. This is how it goes: while drawing on the cigar sweetness is first noticed, then a spice starts on top of that. The spice holds on as the puff is let out of the mouth and the leather note becomes clear then fades. The spice continues on to be the finish. Mind you that the spice is light. As the burn approaches the thicker ring gauge, a vegetal taste comes out. It reminds me of spinach. This is late in the taste but I wouldn’t call it the aftertaste. The taste is rich and thick and good with defined flavors, but somehow is not very complex.

The first ash fell at about an inch. This is the point where the cigar takes off. the flavor is building. The body is on the full side of medium at strongest. The flavor is a more intense verson of the above mentioned but the vegetal/spinach flavor is now more prominent. The spice has cut back but it is still noticeable. I would describe the flavors as round. It is extremely relaxing even though a corrective light is needed.

Just before the half way point a good “rich earth” flavor shows up and the spice has turned into a white pepper. The vegetal/spinach taste is now a bit sweeter and is more of the generic “vegetal” than the spinach. This is the first time in a non puro that I have been able to taste each countries tobacco. I find this to be nothing short of amazing.

The final inch or so brings much of the same leather spice and vegetal that the beginning of the cigar had.

The cigar snuck up on me. I stated earlier that this is on the full side of medium at best. I am now feeling it in the pit of my stomach a bit. I think I would now call this a full body cigar. I’ve had stronger but its still up there.

Burn to the burn
Time: about 1h 35min

Burn: 8 (only three corrective lights, not to shabby for a perfecto)
Taste: 10
Appearance: 8.5
Feel: 10

Overall: 8.9
5 smoke rings -- an exceptionally good cigar

Recommended to:
Full bodied cigar lovers
Those who like round, leathery, earthy cigars.
Those that can afford it.

Re: Gurkha Legend

Good review. Definitely my favorite Gurkha! I have not had one in a while, I think this review just prompted me to light one up tonight!