Lemoncella, gift from Capri.

Joined Apr 2007
83 Posts | 0+
Well, boys and girls I had a nice surprise the other day. The nice lady who lives next door came back from a trip to Italy with a present for me. Yes, it was a bottle of Lemoncella. This particular bottle was from a small producer on the Isle of Capri. I have had many different brands of Lemoncella and usually have a couple in my garage freezer. I must admit this one was special. Lemoncella has become a after dinner treat for the Sunday at Granddads group. Big meal, nice cigar and some Lemoncella. Anyway, as we sampled this present we were impressed with the flavor and smothness. It was determined that we would do a side by side taste test with the samples I had in stock. All three were 80 proof, all three looked yellow, all three tasted like lemons. This new stuff was considerably smoother and more flavorable. We were forced to have an additional cigar so that we could determine which was the better. After two cigars and large quanties of Lemoncella the new guy from the Isle of Capri was declaired the winner. The problem is it is only available in Italy and we drank the whole bottle during the taste test.

That sounds like the Virginny Gemmin to me. You'll just have to go back over there and get a case or two!!!

Wish I could. My wings have been clipped, no more traveling for this old cigar smoker.

What are you anyway, persona non grata outside of the United States, or what??!?!?!?!

I be injured and on light duty for the rest of my life. A couple of minor problems Spinal stenosis, pinched nerve, arthritus, bone spurs, diabetes, overweight, etc, etc .......................................

Nothing that a bottle of Bookers and a good cigar won't help.

I agree on the cigar and bottle of Booker's, but that's some pretty sad news there, Gemmin. I hope you're able to hang in with us for a good long time, even from your wheelchair. Not good, terribly sorry, and as someone who has had neck, back and corresponding joint problems for almost 30 years, I'm with you on that one. Stenosis is a whole other subject though, and that's really bad news.

I also know too many diabetics, along with my own father, and other family members. The offshoot ailments are not good, especially the blood pressure problems.

Praying for you and hoping for another 75 years of cigars and Booker's for you. Maybe by then they'll have another bourbon from Fred Noe's great grandson, called "Snooker's." Yup, I can see it now. With the quality of Booker's on the decline in the latter part of the first decade of the 21st Century, Fred's son finally runs out of good stuff around the year 2021, and after many failed attempts, fifty years after that, they decide to come out with Snooker's, hee, hee, heee!!! NOTHING like our original Booker's, so you've been snookered, ha, haaaaa!!!

My barber makes some very good Lemoncello Lemon peel, grain alcohol, sugar and water. There is a recipe. It's really very good. We were unable to tell any difference between it and two store bought brands.

Brought it from Sicily.

It goes something like this . . . you need a fifth of grain alcohol and 9-12 lemons. He zests the lemons and adds 1/2 the alcohol. This steeps for a period of time. You drain the zest from the alcohol. You mix water equivalent to the amount of alcohol you used and add suger (5 cups?, I can't remember) Once the water heats and sugar disolves, cool it and add to lemon/alcohol. Use the zested lemons to make lemonaide. You can make two bottles for every bottle of grain alcohol.

This is just from my memory. I'll get the recipe from him in the next week or two. He says some lemons were better for it than others, but I don't remember which ones. He uses the same basic recipe for certain oranges and even strawberries.

This homemade beverage was tested by gentlemen with names like Cuntrera, Ruffo, Dellaquilla, Conti and Basirico. All gave it the thumbs-up.