LeNell's, Ltd., A Wine and Spirit Boutique: . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
That's what it says on the cute, jungle cat print (or some animal's markings) plastic bag that I carried out my two "scores" from this wonderful new (to me) "liquor store" that I visited recently, after reference from an online friend. And I assure you, it is no "liquor store." Yes, they sell booze there, and I even had a couple of tastes, one of which prompted me to buy a bottle, but LeNell's is an "experience," not a store.

I left my sister's Brooklyn apartment in the early afternoon, armed with all the information I needed to make the trip. Brooklyn is like California to me. I wouldn't know how to go anywhere if it wasn't for spending part of the past three years using her place(s) as a crash pad in the city on occasion. Brooklyn is also BIG. You don't get around Brooklyn by walking, as much I as love to walk, and to be sure, I have taken some long ones in Brooklyn.

LeNell's is located near the teeming courthouse area of downtown Brooklyn known as the Borough Hall area. It is however, far enough away, and in such a different location architecturally, that after my bus arrived, it was literally like being transplanted into another place and time entirely. The bus ride took extra long (about 25 minutes) because of the incredible hordes of people, and the hustle and bustle around the Borough Hall area. I could tell that normally it was probably only a ten minute ride.

Although I tried to remember the route and calculate the distance from Borough Hall, which may well have been three miles, nevertheless, it's still worth taking the bus. And the last mile or so of the ride is wonderful, as you head toward the waterfront area, and a neighborhood lined with tiny little two and three story apartment buildings, many partially or not occupied at all, save for the ethnic restaurants and little stores located on the first floor of these buildings. This is the waterfront edge of Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York, a neighborhood, like many, on the rebound from much harder times.

The day was beautiful, clear, sunny, an oh, so gentle breeze, and a dry day, although the temperature was well into the 80's. I couldn't have picked a better day than Friday, September 2, 2005 to make my initial foray to this peaceful little neighborhood and the "boutique" liquor shop at the end of the bus ride. I spotted the sign for one of the streets I knew I had to look for, and saw that three people were left on the bus including me, and we all got up and got out. I guess that's the end of the ride, because the bus left and turned a corner at the end of the block where some warehouse type buildings are located.

But just as it says on http://www.lenells.com, as I turned back in front of me, the store is indeed right in front of where you get off the bus. A big glass window, through which a bath tub full of bottles is part of the sight that greets you. A steep, cute little flight of steps just to the right of the window leads you up to the wood frame door that makes me hark back to the days before riot gates in NYC.

Indeed, most places on the 30th Avenue and Broadway strips in my old home and haunt of Astoria, Queens didn't get riot gates until '89-'90. You could actually press your nose against the face of bakeries and restaurants that were closed at three in the morning. What a shame, how industries have been built up because of man's inhumanity to man. Just think, if people didn't do break-ins, there would be no riot gates, no razor ribbon, no ADT, no Slomin's Shield, etc.. Neighborhoods would look cute and pretty again, at all times of the day and night.

But September 2, 2005 at 1455 hours wasn't the time for reflecting on all that, it was time for enjoying the peace, quiet and timeless beauty of this neighborhood and the experience that LeNell's is. I walked in and was greeted by a gentleman named Ben. He was instantly the kind of person I had hoped to meet there. I had in fact, hoped to meet LeNell herself, but meeting and being helped by Ben, in addition to the wonderful conversation he treated me to, was a pure pleasure.

You won't find a whole lot of people in NYC liquor stores who want to do anything except point you in the right direction and go back to something else. Some know a little bit, but can't be bothered engaging in detailed conversations, even if there isn't anything else to do. A precious few others will engage you to the hilt, and are quite knowledgeable. Ben is not only extremely knowledgeable, but also quite congenial, and as their web site says, they are very willing to offer you sips of certain items on the tasting block. Since there was no one else in the store, I took the time to ask questions and also found that Ben was quite the storyteller. I love good storytellers, because your enjoyment of, and education in a hobby, can be enriched by spending time with such people.

He told me about how the new release of the Pappy's 23 year old is soon to come out and that advance word is quite favorable. At over $200 a bottle, that would be quite an improvement over the last release, which tasted to me like 95.6 proof root beer. He also introduced me to the extremely personal nature of their contact with the customers. They will put your e-mail address, preferences, special interests and a whole lot more into their computer system, if you wish. And since I've already received a couple of e-mails from them, it's easy to see that the nice, personal touch really exists at LeNell's.

As Ben regaled me with stories of the changes happening in the American whiskey industry, as well as special events that are held periodically at LeNell's, I gazed around the establishment. Many beautiful, well kept and highly polished, old fashioned, solid wood furniture pieces are used to house the various wines and spirits for sale. As for the bath tub in the front window, well, it houses GIN, what else!?! :mrgreen: There may be a couple other spirits in there, like flavored vodkas, if memory serves me correctly.

I had only planned on spending about half an hour there, but nearly made it to the one hour mark. During this time, Ben and I also managed to talk about the surrounding neighborhood and beautiful weather we were being treated to. I told him how much I had enjoyed the bus ride, and how impressed I was by the ethnic restaurants and burgeoning small business activity on the Van Brunt Street strip that the bus runs along. He explained about the slow, but steady and determined rebound of the neighborhood, small business owners who lived in the neighborhood and the desire to keep it as a quaint, almost timeless community.

Ben also treated me to some 90 proof Maker's Mark "white dog," as he referred to it. I believe if I heard correctly, it was freshly distilled, not yet put into the barrel for aging. I agreed it was interesting and tasty, and also with his feelings that such potions could actually be marketed. Since LeNell's was all out of one specific thing I had dropped in for, namely the Old Williamsburgh 121.5 proof bourbon, I settled for a bottle of their 101 proof, which is now in my "tasting department," and I must say, quite impressive. Because of the savings on that bottle as opposed to getting the barrel proof version, I decided to go for a bottle of something else Ben had let me taste, which was good old Rebel Yell. At 80 proof, I'd always been reluctant to touch it, but the taste Ben gave me changed my mind in a hurry.

And, since I've mentioned my purchases, how are the prices? Well, I've been checking out their web site for some time, and I can report, that for most items the prices are anywhere from very good to excellent, and as their web site claims, they DO have the best bourbon selection in New York City.

Believe me, I didn't want to go, but after nearly an hour I had to. I was unable to attend the recent Second Anniversary of LeNell's, but I'm sure it was a blast. I walked out in the clear, bright sunlight, across the street to a little bodega, got a Snapple, walked to and waited at a bus stop about two blocks up from LeNell's. It was a beautiful day, and if it hadn't been for an occasional vehicle here and there, I truly could have forgotten what year I was in. There are small apartment buildings waiting for people to live in them. There is a quiet, peaceful little neighborhood waiting to be enjoyed by people waking up to buckwheat pancakes on quiet Saturday mornings, with birds chirping, and none of the 30-70 story sights or sounds of the big city that churns nearby.

And between Coffey and Van Dyke Streets, along Van Brunt Street, there is a cute little "liquor store" that is waiting for you to come in and get the "experience." You're not going to buy a bottle; you're going to "take a trip."

From midtown Manhattan, even with a bus ride obstructed by the madness just a few miles away, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to arrive at LeNell's. It took me well over an hour to make it there from my sister's apartment in Brooklyn. It was well worth it, and if I'm alive and well, as I continue to stock up for "the season," they'll see me again.