Length of smoke

Joined May 2007
168 Posts | 0+
Northern California
I'm still a newbie. An old newbie. A really inquisitive old newbie. Whenever I 'get into' a new area of interest I generally research the hell out of it so I can know as much as I can absorb about it.

So, here's a question I haven't yet seen addressed in the forum:

Suppose we start with two cigars of the same brand and tobacco composition, same length, same RH, everything identical except the ring guage. Let's say we have a lonsdale and a churchill and we hook them up to a laboratory-style 'puffer' machine which will take the same number of puffs at the same frequency, the same volume of puff, etc. Everything identical except for ring guage.

Here's the question: will one smoke last longer than the other? Is 'length of smoke' a function of tobacco mass? If not, what's your best guess as to what it is?

Any input you may care to share will be appreciated. Thanks a heap.

Marty

jlmarta said:
If not, what's your best guess as to what it is?

Marty

What/////
???
Not sure what your asking????

The difference in the 2 smokes or why some smoke longer than others???

The difference of ring gauge is the amount of air you would draw through
the cigar.
The larger ring gauge would smoke cooler -

as for time - oils, thickness of leaf all play a factor - the same exact blend
should (IMHO) smoke the same amount of time.

Ok I'll admit it! I am a nerd. If all factors are the same, i.e. cigar, ambient, volume to be drawn, etc... The larger ring gauge will smoke longer. It is pure physics. The larger ring gauge has more volume, and assuming that you are going to draw the same amount of volume on every puff, naturally you will get more smoke out of a product that has more volume.

Now back to reality, you probably will not see a difference since hopefully you are not smoking as an experiment of time, but truly enjoying the cigar.

hopefully you are not smoking as an experiment of time said:
That's true. And enjoyment is the key. I prefer a smaller guage/longer cigar - such as a lonsdale or panatella but also enjoy the length of smoke a churchill delivers. A short cigar isn't appealing to me because it seems I no sooner get it lit and it's gone.

And I agree - the mass of the tobacco in the churchill is greater but, then, so is the 'face' of the cherry - the actual area of tobacco that is burning, if you will. So it seems to me that the two different guages would burn at the same rate and last an equal amount of time. I don't have any scientific data to substantiate that, it's just an opinion.

Anyway, thanks for responding and tweaking some of my grey cells.

Marty

I had a Padilla Miami Lancero Today. It is 7.5" long and burned for about the same amount of time that a churchill would. So If you puff to keep the burn even they should last about the same amount of time. But I think if you hooked them up to a machine with the same amount of draw the thicker ring would burn longer.

NJsmokey said:
But I think if you hooked them up to a machine with the same amount of draw the thicker ring would burn longer.

There 2 ways to look at this -

1- if you put a draw machine at 10psi(a random setting) for 10 seconds
you should draw more air through the larger cigar.

Evening out the burn length.

2- if you draw the exact same amount of air (1 cubic foot) at each draw then the
larger ring will smoke slower.

That is my thoughts on this not hard fact.

i would do it by volume of smoke because my mouth isnt getting any bigger (some say its big enough). since its a set volume (too loud?...) the force that i draw wont make a difference.

kuzi16 said:
i would do it by volume of smoke because my mouth isnt getting any bigger (some say its big enough). since its a set volume (too loud?...) the force that i draw wont make a difference.

Good Point - about the
set volume (too loud?...
LMAO!

The density of tobacco in the cigar, all other things being equal, is what makes the difference. A big, loose cigar can burn just as fast as a denser but smaller cigar. This makes density more critical to burn rate than ring gauge. If density is equal along with all other factors, ring gauge then becomes the determinate in burn speed with a controlled mechanical burn.

You have a very good point. The Jose Piedra Cazzadore it is a long enough stick, but is so loosely packed that it burns very quickly.

Inland44 said:
The density of tobacco in the cigar, all other things being equal, is what makes the difference. A big, loose cigar can burn just as fast as a denser but smaller cigar. This makes density more critical to burn rate than ring gauge. If density is equal along with all other factors, ring gauge then becomes the determinate in burn speed with a controlled mechanical burn.

What he said. A tightly packed cigar will burn slower than a loose cigar, all other varables being equal. That said, these are a hand made product, and no two cigars will be exactly the same even when they are the same make and vitola.