Let's get this started!

Joined Jan 2003
18 Posts | 0+
NY
What? No refined wine drinkers out there? :shocked: Has anyone had a red by Gregg Norman (yes, the golfer)? Bought a case a couple of years back. Great inexpensive red wine from Australia. How about a suggestion on a good red to have with a nice bowl of macaroni each night?

Ken,

I am partial to the German Whites -- and mostly stay with the spatlace variety. My all time favorite is a Messmer Gewertztraminer Spatlace 1994'er but I am down to 1 bottle I am saving for a special occasion. I had a case but my EX made it disappear out of shear spite :(

As to Greg Norman, I won't have anything to do with ANY product associated with him. I can't think of enough bad things to think or say about him after a run in I witnessed at the US Open in 1994 (Oakmont). Greg had finished his round and a small child (about 5 or 6) asked him for his autograph -- He was gruff and pushed by the child refusing to sign --- the child followed him down the lot begging and telling him of how big a fan he was of his. Greg walked into his accomodations (condo) and slammed the door in this crying childs face!! There was a group of adults like me that witnessed this -- and could not believe what we saw! Then , a couple of weeks later on TV they showed him letting a sick child (make a wish or something like that) ride with him during a practice round ---- WHAT A BIG FEELING HYPOCRITE!!!!! :( [stepping down off soapbox now]

Mike

Mike,

:oops: Didn't know he was #@&, well, not a nice guy. He still makes a good red wine but it's the last time I'll buy it.

A good friend of mine, stockbroker, turned me on to Gewertztraminer back in the mid-70s. Great whites. I'll look for Messmer Gewertztraminer Spatlace 1994'er, or something close. It's been a few years since tasting any Gewertztraminer and you've peaked my interest again. Thanks.

Ken

My all time favorite is a 1992 Ruffino Ducale Chianti Classico Riserva Gold Label. That is the smoothest, finest tasting Chianti. Nowadays all I can find are more recent (and too young) vintages like 97, 98, and 99.

Damn Munch ---

Just hearing the words "Boone's Farm" gives me FLASHBACKS!!!!! Heck -- I remember being a poor college student in 1980-85 and having to drink a couple of fifths of Boone's Farm to get a good buzz going!! :lol:

Nothing compares to seeing that stuff on the way up duing a prayer session to the ivory goddess :shock:

Mike

mikegunner said:
Damn Munch ---

Nothing compares to seeing that stuff on the way up duing a prayer session to the ivory goddess :shock:

Mike

10-4 on that. Such a beautiful shade. Man, I drank that stuff all the time while I was at field camp (geology stuff). I had three drink containers: a camelback for water, a canteen for water, and a squirt bottle for my Boone's. :D I remember sitting in the blazing Utah sun in July, unwrapping my melted PB&J sandwich, eating my bag of potato chip crumbs, and sipping on a piss-warm Boone's. Oh the life of a field geologist....ain't it grand. :D

Damn, I really miss those days..no shit, I really do.

Mike Gunner, that is a horrible story about Greg Norman. I often wonder why it is that stories like this aren't known throughout the world, but have to be discovered in "private" on forums like this. You would think that a guy like that who lives a highly privileged existence would understand that when you walk off the golf course and people follow you like that, fans who spend their own lives REALLY CARING about you and what you do for a living, would realize that he is still "at the office" and thereby OBLIGATED, at the VERY least to perform his duties and acknowledge his fan base, and do his best to accomodate them.

By the way, anyone notice that Mike Gunner is a dead ringer for Scotty? BEAM ME UP!!! Uhhhhhh, but not Jim Beam, the regular one anyway. Now a product like Booker's, which is from the Jim Beam Distillery, THAT'S a horse of another color!!!