lets talk cuts

Joined Oct 2007
58 Posts | 0+
how about someone lists a cigar and then someone else lists how they would cut it and why and then the person who answers lists a different cigar with something in common, either same brand ,wrapper filler, dimensions, year, etc...

I'll start, I've been saving a gurkha beast for five months for a special event on november 30th and was wondering between a straight cut or a punch...

to me, its all about shape.

toprs and perfectos are cut with a double guillotine, anything else.... punch.

kuzi16 said:

This is true, but aside from torpedos it also has to do with what cut you are in the mood for!!

I agree it's all what I'm in the mood for. Obviously the torps and perfectos would be very difficult to cut with a punch, so generally it's the xikar for those. Outside of that I like to change it up a bit.

I have a new Colibri V-cutter so I've been recently using that for about 85% of the larger ring gauge smokes.

If I'm doing anything while smoking I like to use the punch becuause I feel that it removes less of the cap and enables me to maintain the integrity of the cigar better.

And somtimes I just want tons of smoke with little or no restriction so i just chop that cap almost all the way off with the double guillotine and suck in all that great smoke uninhibited and let it go straight to the brain and back out through the nose.

....but that's just my take on the subject

As far as wrapper, filler, year....etc...I don't really think that makes all that much difference to me. Mostly has to do with size, and a small amount to do with strength.

So what you're all saying is that I need a punch cutter so I can give that a try.

Good advice.

Trent

kuzi16 said:

Ditto for me. I would ad that I have two punches. The Xikar 007 punch and one that is almost twice as big that I made for the big ring cigars.

I don't currently have a punch, but all this talk about them is making me curious. Until I get one, I'll just keep using that fine Xikar double guillotine that Travis so generously gave me.

All the best,

Joe

kuzi16 said:

Count me in this camp as well.

I've had some pig tails I've cut off, then punched.

Generally I like 'em wide open. Which would normally mean a cutter for anything. But I found a large enough punch to do the job on pretty much anything up to 52 ring. So I punch it.

Again though, if I had a double ceramic blade guillotine, things might be different :)

not sure....

i mean a lot of things can influence the taste. if how much smoke is an influence (and im sure it is) then the answer is a definate
Maybe.

you can have a larger punch and a smaller punch. you can take off more with a double guillotine or less.

i dont think the tool itself or the style of cut itself would change anything but i think that the amoutnt that is cut off could...

interesting thought

I usually go with the Xikar double cut, but I also like the V-notch cut for something different. I call it the "cooter cut"! :lol: :lol:

New here and relatively new to cigars, but for my 2 cents, the punch I have used tended to make the cigar taste of little but tar towards the tail end, so I tend towards the guillotine. I have considered trying one of the larger punches (like the wolf), just for the convenience of having it on the keychain. I'm always losing my xikar! :duh:

That's the problem with a punch; tar buildup. Not as much with a V-notch and practically none with a straight cut.

ive never really had the problem with a punch. im not sure what defines a "large ring" punch, but i do know that it is bigger than any punch i have used at any local B&M if i forgot mine. im not sure what the size is in "ring size" but i do know that the hole it makes is abot the size of the non-writing end of a bic pen. so... 28 or so ring? maybe? tar or nicotine drip has never been an issue for me.

This is the Wolf punch I'm using. It's larger than most other punches I've seen, and takes off about as much from a 50 ring stick as you'd want from a guillotine.