Let's Talk Rum....

Joined Jul 2004
130 Posts | 0+
Deano...

Regarding our conversation at the Shot Show regarding fine rums
and your preference for a certain odd named brand (Mount Gay),
here is what is arguably the finest rum currently produced in the world, and winner of many recent awards. It can and is drunk as a cognac.
Try to get hold of a bottle and you will see what I mean.
http://www.ronzacapacentenario.com/
It is almost a crime to use it in mixed drinks.
Pedro

{Drool!}

I'm on it!

BTW: it's not jus' any ol' "Mount Gay," it's the "Eclipse" version… been drinking it, always either "neat" or with "2¢ plain," for over 40 years and haven't gone blind yet! When I was on the windjammer, I used to get it by the case in St. Bart's for $6.00… at a time when it was $6.29/bottle in the Beverage Media.

Damm Deano, a name like that sounds more like a weed...
Lemon Heart + Mount Gay= Sour fruit...

Here's a second nod for Appleton. Great for sippin with a cigar. Nice and smooth.

Yeah, but there's about a half-dozen different Appletons… I've had the Special, and it was unremarkable. Like to try the Estate V/X some time.

One of my absolute favorites is Ron del Barrilito from Puerto Rico. They have a Two Star and a Three Star. The Three Star is my favorite sipping rum. Every time I'm down there, I stock up on a few bottles. Not sure where you can buy it in the states, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's available in the NYC or Philly areas.

I'm a fan of the Sailor Jerry myself. It's a spiced rum though, for simples I like the 10 Cane.

My wife brought home a bottle of the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 anos from her Grand Cayman trip. Fantastic rum! It's reminds me of a fine cognac.

Cybrus, Ron del Barrilito is now available everywhere, in stores in NYC, on the internet, everywhere, and actually has been for years. My father's favorite all-time rum, the Three Star. It is fine stuff, nicely priced too.

Mr. Speir, as you know, when you get down to brass tacks, I'm not really all that far from you, relatively speaking. I have two bottles of rum, both of which were deeply disappointing to me, and both nearly full, because I just couldn't bring myself to have more than a taste or two. I haven't had them more than a year or so, and they have been undisturbed since the last tasting, with caps tightly affixed. Both are yours if you wish, although I'd have to take the LIRR out there, since I can't send these through the mail.

They are:

Appleton Estate
Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year

Let me know. :wine: :thumbsup:

Yes, the Appleton's goes good with a nice cigar. I had a cuban with mine.

True Bloof - but ordering on the Internet is a crapshoot in PA as the liquor laws here are insane. Most places won't even ship to PA so that is rarely an option.

brennivin said:
I'm a fan of the Sailor Jerry myself.

I second that. I'm not a big rum drinker but when I am, that what I'm drinking. I think that it's a lot better than any other spiced rum.

Dean Speir said:

I think that it's a lot better than any other spiced rum.
And here I thought that we were talkin' "rum."

How foolish of me.

spiced rum does have it place in a rum disscussion. It is for sure not a sipping rum, for me it is a Zacapa 23 year or "others" but for a great summer time drink spiced rum and Coke (or diet) can hit the spot.

…but for a great summer time drink spiced rum and Coke (or diet) can hit the spot.
For some I'm sure it does.

But I vociferously demur when you assert that "spiced rum does have it place in a rum disscussion."

I like the tastes of rum, which is why now-a-days I drink it neat, but even 45-50 years ago, never with anything other than "2¢ plain," seltzer preferred, but "club soda" in a pinch.

I won't go so far as to call "spiced rum" an abomination, but it sure is a waste of both rum and spices.

And as the O.P. introduced the name of "Ron Zacapa Centenario," just as I would not start extoling the virtues, however dubious, of a five-for-25¢ twisted stogie in a thread about the Montecristo No. 2, so too do I find the inclusion of "spiced rum" here, um, dampening.

Bloof! I forsee an expedition into the wilds of Westchester in the not-too-distant-future!