Let's Talk Rum....

Dean Speir said:
 And as the O.P. introduced the name of "Ron Zacapa Centenario," just as I would not start extoling the virtues, however dubious, of a five-for-25¢ twisted stogie in a thread about the Montecristo No. 2, so too do I find the inclusion of "spiced rum" here, um, dampening.

While I basically agree with you in a thread that is titled "Lets Talk Rum" I would expect that it is all and every kind of Rum. If a cigar thread was titled "lets talk cigars" and the OP said something about a Montie #2, does that then mean the whole thread must be talk of that cigar?

Actually Mr. Speir, that would have been the wilds of Dutchess, but if you wait a bit longer, I'll be back in Queens. Packed and ready to go, just have to find an apartment and move.

does that then mean the whole thread must be talk of that cigar?
Absolutely not… but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that it be comparable.

If we're talkin' Porsche Spyders, a "Hey!, I thumbed a ride in an ol' VW bus once" would be equally inapproriate… yeah!, they're both for-wheeled German vehilces, but c'mon!, you know exactly what my point is….

Bloof, the closer to 73rd Street in Jackson Heights you locate, the more convenient it will be for you… trust me on this!

OHHHHHHHH, 73rd St.!!! :shock: You scared me when you said 177th St. elsewhere. Or was it here and those posts were removed? Anyway, I know that area very well, have friends on 75th St. :D

I just picked up a bottle of the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23yo after reading this thread. Nice stuff! I still prefer whiskey, but it's quite tasty. The stuff is incredibly smooth... hardly even seemed alcoholic aside from the warmth. This makes me want to try some of the others... perhaps Ron del Barrilito or 10 Cane.

Make sure it's the Ron del Barrilito 3-Star, and as for the Ron Z 23, Mr. Speir can have it, and he will, as soon as I can deliver it to him.

As a fellow inmate of the Commonwealth of Pa, I hear your pain Cybrus....you can't get anything here unless it's 'smuggled' in from another state.
Even with the revamping of the state controlled liquor stores, you still don't get the pricing or selection you do in New Jersey or Delaware!
It is such a pain in the a$$ to have to schlep all over the Delaware Valley to try and find what you want.
As far as Rums are concerned, you cannot get Ron Z in Pa, but a close second in my opinion is the Zayra, which can be found in the more upscale state stores.

Love the signature, SingleMaltScott!

Yeah, I was just in the store today and wanted to stop by the liquor store to pick up some wine and forgot that they don't open until noon. Retarded non-capitalist liquor laws. Oh well - gotta work with what you have.

I'll have to look and see if any of my local shops have that rum.

After a lazy tropical afternoon and one too many "mojitos", I revisit this thread. Dean, did you ever try the Zacapa rum I told you about?

hammondc said:
Anyone ever have Sailor Jerry. Pretty good for rum and cokes.

Love the stuff. And I believe I got slagged for mentioning it on this very thread :lol:

Was at a friends quite a few months ago and he had a bottle of Pyrite , I think is the spelling. Not too bad. Of course we were drinking it in his uninsulated garage in February freezing our @$$es off while enjoying a stick or 2. After a few glasses we forgot it was cold out! :shock:

SingleMaltScott said:
As far as Rums are concerned, you cannot get Ron Z in Pa, but a close second in my opinion is the Zayra, which can be found in the more upscale state stores.
I think you're speaking of "Zaya". Close second is a good desription, as it's made by & @ the same Guatemalan distillery as Ron Zacapa.

Try Binny's for delivery. They don't explicitly list PA as a state they will not ship to, although the disclaimer says as well as "others" in the list of states they do specify they will not ship to.

As a tip, I wouldn't ask questions like "Do you ship to" - I'd just order - if they decline... or accept the order - you'll have your answer.
:wink: