Lighting Cigars 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Aug 2004
2K Posts | 1+
I have heard so many people that have so many different ways of lighting a cigar.
I thought I'd put down what I do (mostly)
I say mostly, because in my car driving or outdoors I put my flame to a cigar & suck!
But given the time to sit and do it right:
First I try and feel the cigar, rolling it softly in my fingers.
I look for hard spots, possible plugs.
I will then clip the end, always drawing on the cigar before I light it.
If it does not draw I use a poker and try to save it.
If I can draw air through the cigar I will then go to lighting the cigar.
First (with my torch lighter) I roast the end of the cigar.
Never drawing air, just hold it in front of me and use the flame to roast the end of the cigar till it looks like it is going.
I then blow out thre the cigar, trying to drive and smoke from the lighting out of the cigar.
I look for a even light, I will blow on the cherry and see if I missed.
If I have a little more flame and blow out again.
At this point I will draw smoke from the cigar.
A soft gentle draw, not a puff puff puff.
If I do it right then it is off to an easy sit back and smoke.
Why blow out?
I was taught that the lighting of the cigar can give a harsh smoke.
So by blowing out I do not let the smoke come through the stick.
I have heard a lot of methods & only offer up what I myself use.
Cedar strips, bic lighters, wood matches & ect.
Wondering if this is your method????
& I hope I have helped you to enjoy your cigars a little more.
Some times the ritual de Habitual is half the fun!
Enjoy!
CC

(another small advise I will share.
When heading out for the evening,
I will clip my cigar and check the draw.
I have had to many moments out when my cigar was plugged and ruined my smoking moment.)

(Also it good to blow the smoke out of the cigar every now and again to clear the cigar - this will often keep the cigar sweeter!)

I like to blow out, as well. Also, anytime the ash does let go of the cigar, immediately after, I blow out. I realized that anytime you lose an ash or some disturbance like that to the cigar, that first draw immediately after has a sorta unpleasant taste. So, I also blow out after lighting, and after ashing.

My lighting ritual is very similar to yours, CastleCrest. I have a Colibri torch lighter, but also have a decent Colibri flame lighter. Sometimes during the day, I use the flame one, to prevent torching the heck out of the stick. I was a bit embarassed to admit what I did right after I bought my torch lighter. I was outside, and started to toast and light up... and scorched the heck out of my cigar because I wasn't accustomed to a torch lighter, and could not see the flame very well in the daylight. :oops: I felt like a ninny!

The torch is something you get used to.
Almost a feather brush with the very end of the flame.
Really far enough away where there is no flame but your still get heat.
As for Roasting the tip!
I see it all the time, a cig-smoker borrowing a light
they will do serious damage to
their smoke, roasting it to death and they say "Owe"
Happens all the time.
CC

I've had cigarette smokers burn their eyes and noses from far away when lighting their cigarettes, even though I started off with "high up, higher, higher," etc. After walking away with one eye or a nose that looks like a campfire marshmallow, they finally get it. :D

People who are not familiar with torch lighters are often intimidated by them, but they get their faces down just as close when it comes to lighting that cigarette. It leaves me wondering what they THOUGHT I meant when I said "high up, higher."

:dunno: :duh:

But to my defense...

...now, since the first time, I light my cigars much nicer with the torch lighter.

I'm a "one and done" type learner... I touch the stove.. ouch.. hot... and don't do it again. Well, with most things... Other things... like women.. ouch.. burn... ouch.. burn.. ouch burn... *hehe*

i do just fine with a couple matches and rolling the cigar as i very gently puff. might try the blowing out technique though, sounds like a good idea.

I use a torch lighter also. first time using it...held it too close and burned too much of the cigar. Learned the hard way! The key to using these is to never let the actual flame touch the cigar, but rather let the heat roast the foot of the cigar.

also, unless you like the sooty taste of charcoal, I alsways recommend to lightly blow out before taking your first pull...you'll notice a difference in taste throughout the cigar.

Enjoy!!!

Torch/Flame Lighter

I've used both torch as well as flame lighters and I'm generally more comfortable with the flame lighter. I definately ruined the cigar the first time I tried a torch lighter. I've picked up some helpful tips though so I might try it again! Thanks guys :wink:

Lighting

I like the torch. Some purists will tell you flame is better, but like cigars: it's a matter of preference. When lighting, I prefer hold the cigar @ a 45 angle from the lighter and rotate it while the tip of the flame just touches the edge of the smoke. When it's evenly lit, I lightly blow through the smoke. Theoretically, this expels all of the contaminants (fumes, gases, etc.) from the cigar, leaving an untainted smoke. I originally read this in a book of mine, written by the editor of that HUGE cigar magazine, so I figure that's gospel enough for me. Hope this helps someone.

DM 8)

Toasting the foot in a circular manner and blowing back through the cigar is something that I and many other cigar smokers just instinctively wound up doing long before reading many specifics of the organized industry. It is therefore always good to hear that such methods are confirmed by organized industry experts. I have read about it and seen it on videos. It just goes to show how life gives to industry, which gives back to life, etc.

All successful and widely accepted methods of doing everything evolved from human curiosity and experimentation, as did the most effective methods of lighting cigars.

What I can add to this is that blowing back through a cigar gives a smoker the chance to impart the heat of the flame at the end more evenly distributed throughout it's length. This will get the cigar going for the smoke better. It also gives the smoker the chance to test the draw. Sometimes a bad drawing cigar can be quickly detected by the impulse to blow back. Listen to your instincts and notice all the nuances. You won't go wrong.

I never read how to properly light a cigar. I used to just strike up the zippo, and draw. Now I light the end in a circular motion spinning the stick in my hand to light the end nice and even so it does not 'run' when I draw. I usually let the ash fall naturally. For me, it was an evolutionary thing. Of course since I smoked that first test cigar, my wife has unfortunately broken my marble ashtray that I got from Afghanistan, so now I have no place to put the ash. Oh well, not to worry, going back in 2006...have to get another one then!

Green Marble was basically shattered. I think the extreme cold of the garage had something to do with it. Man, if it ever goes above 20*(9* now), I can smoke that other Cigar....Conn. Robusto

Very intersting, especially about blowing through the cigar. I was wondering if anybody else did it. Actually, I will 'purge' the cigar several times during the smoke, any time the taste gets funky. Also, I use blowing through to correct the burn, as the unburnt 'finger' usually catches with the hotter tip, and burns faster, catching up to the main burn. After blowing and heating up the lit core, I'll let it cool for at least a minute before drawing again. That first draw after purging usually tastes as sweet as the first draw after lighting. This is particularly useful with the less expensive cigars, usually giving a much better smoke. Blowing also cools the cigar behind the lit tip. You have to be careful to expel all smoke before blowing through, and try not to wet the tobacco. How hard to blow through? Easy does it. I've heard that it's called 'tipping' when you get a long ash and take a few draws, then blow through and the ash drops right off.

i usually use a disposable, turning cigar while lighting, but if i am driving, i lite it the best i can and hold out window at about 85 mph, ive lit off stove, propain torch, redyheater, and flamethrower, never made a noticable difference, dont think a peice of cedar will help a 2 dollar cigar nor will my in dash cigar lighter hurt a 15.00 dollar cigar. geuss you just cant buy class!

I use to do light my Domenicos with a torch as well. This ensures a full lighted foot and the first draw is always perfect. Also I like first to feel the cigar, the wrapper, the tightness - and I smell it befor I light it..... Blowing through is always a good way to clean the cigar.

Well , i havnt smoked a cigar yet (waiting till next year for my big 18 b-day) I find a wooden match would be the best way to light. Its very classy. Yes , it is time consuming ...but isnt the whole purpose just to enjoy the experience? If you use a tourch lighter , yes you get that quiker light , but im more of an old school kind of guy (ask my girlfriend). But i heard you should let the sulfer burn away from the match before lighting the cigar? Im assuming lighting too soon with a wooden match would taint the flavor. Can someone set me straight on the best way to light?

I like the torch lighters myself, not because its faster but because I can toast the end real good before lighting. I tried the "Blow Through" and did not find any significant improvement in the smoking of the cigar. I have been accused of having the palet of a Billy Goat once or twice so this is lust my opinion. I have gotten verrrry close to burning my fat little fingers using wooden matches so I am back to my torch. What ever you use Enjoy!

you go ahead and keep striking those matches, using 10 matches just to light a cigar gets really old. its not a matter of time its a matter of ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.