Lighting Cigars 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matches and cedar strips are good in theory, but there's just no comparison to a good torch lighter.

I too favor a torch lighter. I started out with a zippo *gasp* but then I was informed that this was a horrible idea and I should use matches, so I did that for a few days, but I got tired of that rather quickly, as I smoke outside 99.9% of the time, and every little breath of wind screwed up my lighting jobs. I got a torch after a few tries with matches and I have not looked back.

I favour torch but a normal lighter is fine by me. Tried long ceder matches but like Wolfdaddy, I smoke outside and the wind is just horrid when it comes to matches.

I've gone back to matches since my torch doesn't want to work. I just go in my dad's woodshop out of the wind, light 'er up, and go sit down. I like to think I've gotten pretty good with the matches...I can get a good light with three matches now. Used to take me about 8 or 9, but I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Occasionally I will use wooden matches and act civilized when I light a cigar.
But most of the time, I prefer to torch the hell out of it and get that sucker smoking like a chimney. I like my Blazer torch insert for my Zippo and creme brulee lighters.

The best cigar lighter I found is in my old truck (auto cig lighter). Wind is never a factor and it always lit very evenly. But it's not easy to carry a truck around with you. :wink:

Thanks to this forom mostly I've never used a disposable. Started with packs of matches, progressed to the cheapo torch, and now have a Colibri torch. I start by checking the head for a possible plug, cut regardless and if there is one I punch it out. Then I hold the cigar in one hand with the foot up, roast the wrapper edge then slowly work in towards the center of the stick. Then I turn it around, make sure that its evenly lit and then blow through the stick to get any smoke out and feed the cherry. Then I'll place it in my mouth without grasping with my teeth and roast it some more while turning the cigar. Woila, a perfectly lit cigar, for me anyway.

I know this is probably not the most popular method but I use a zippo and let it burn for a minute or so there is no taste of the fluid and it seems to be working fine I use what seems to be the standard method of holding the cigar at a 45 degree angle and rolling it between my fingers. A piece of advice be careful those zippos get damn hot.

Loren showed me how to light up, then I got a torch lighter immediately, and although we chatted about it I didn't do the blow through correctly. After reading this post, I followed the blow through right after lighting and ashing, as suggested, and found it's really works well.

He did mention how to check for hard spots and how to correct them. I've seen this spike mechanism which runs a rod through the whole cigar; is this something one should have, and how often would you really need it?

I picked one up (CigarPoker) after I began to smoke more expensive cigars as it would've be a shame to thow one out due to a bad draw. I haven't had to use it much recently, but it has saved more than a few Cubans from the compost pile. Care must be taken when using such a device since rushing the process may crack the cigar's wrapper.

I'm making an electric tabletop lighter now with some screen attached to a power source. If it works I'm gonna make a nice one and maybe sell them in my shop. It would be nice to get an even light every time. Plus if the cigar were to go out, you could just push the ash right through the screen.

Thanks from a newbie for the post!

Great post. As a newbie, I went home last night and tried lighting up as described. What a difference. Wow, what a difference a little insight can be.
Thanks for sharing.

CastleCrest, thanks for the advice. I've got a better draw and a more consistent burn on the last four I've smoked.

Wow. Lighting w/o drawing really works! I'd never heard of that before I started looking around this board. My cigars have been starting out smoother ever since.
I find blowing on the cigar to work better than blowing out to see how well it's lit though.

Lighting the cigar without drawing is easier to maintain an even light since you can see what's being burned. Works everytime for me.

zandor said:
Wow. Lighting w/o drawing really works! I'd never heard of that before I started looking around this board. My cigars have been starting out smoother ever since.
I find blowing on the cigar to work better than blowing out to see how well it's lit though.

I am still learning this also, but I was under the impression that the reason for "blowing out" was to expell any harshness in the first smoke from lighting, not to see how well it was lit...am I wrong, please correct if I am

I blow out after I ash or re-light to get rid of any ash that may affect the draw.

I like to light the cigar first without any draw or blowing. After it is lit I blow out gently to remove ash and to help improve the draw. I've done this technique for the past month and have had nothing but great smokes.

Spider, blowing out does remove the stale/harsh smoke but can be used to check the evenness of the light. I used to blow on the cherry but I found that too much air can lead the burn astray so I blow through now. Its personal choice really, just as long as you're watchful of the burn.

I'm not sure if this is true but I think it has to do with the "instant" heat on the tobacco causing moisure to wick out of the leaf.

I blow out before each draw. Not long enough to really heat up the cigar--just enough to get a "pure" draw.

Lighting technique is what I watch for in people when I go to shops and events because it tells me who I want to talk to. :lol:

I also like how people offer help in lighting cigars when you go to do it yourself. If they knew the intricasies(sp?) involved they probably wouldn't do that.

iminaquagmire said:
I also like how people offer help in lighting cigars when you go to do it yourself. If they knew the intricasies(sp?) involved they probably wouldn't do that.
Exactly. I have to hide when I'm lighting in a shop because some men feel that they have to light lady's smokes. I really hate that but, don't want to be rude either.

Status
Not open for further replies.