Looks like I have to build a weapon

Joined Jan 2005
930 Posts | 0+
PA
Razorking tells me that my nephew has made his Christmas list...on his list is a "snowball gun".
Razorking says...Dave...I don't think anybody makes a snowball gun. Little Dave says..Dad..Santa has the technology...he can make anything. He actually uses the work Technology..he says he likes technology.

So being the basement bombers that me and Razorking are..I'm thinking....hmmm...how do you make a snowball gun that would be fun and exciting for an 8 year old?
:idea:

haha..POTATOE GUN!!!!!!
alittle bit of wadding so the snowball doesn't melt....and ..Violla!
snowballs at 600feet per second....

i am the best uncle..... :D

hahaha, that rocks Ravyn.... simple and thrifty, yet oh so ingenious!
I think I want one too! :wink:

I was thinking of some sort of catapult - be able to hit the people even when they're hiding and making more snowballs

In college, we used to use a 3 man water balloon slingshot to fire snowballs at professors and acquaintances up to 200 yards away. Of course they could see them coming and sidestep, but we did knock a few people (including an english professor who fortunatley had a sense of humor) off the sidewalk. Irresponsable? yes. Alot of fun, definately.

cybrus said:
I was thinking of some sort of catapult - be able to hit the people even when they're hiding and making more snowballs

funny you should say that....
I actually have a 26 foot tall trebuchet in my back yard. (currently disassembled) that will throw an 8 lb bowling ball 2 football fields.

I'll scan a pic or two when I get a chance at work and show you guys. I designed and built it a few years ago for an SCA event we had.

I AM capable of defending my home!!!! :lol:

That's slick Ravyn - I've always loved those - so elegant in their destruction!

fargo said:
Irresponsable? yes. Alot of fun, definately.

sigh....me too!

hahah

been to a few floatilla parties with a friend....he has a cabin cruiser...thay have big waterballoon battles with those things.

cybrus said:
That's slick Ravyn - I've always loved those - so elegant in their destruction!

Nail on the head my friend...elegant destruction....standing next to it when it fires is just breathtaking...the 1000 weight starts down in slow motion...the sling starts to move...then swoosh...you just feel the energy...

Kelvin said:
Pictures!!!! WE NEED PICTURES MAN!!!

I'm working at home today...and I just found some pics...I'll try and scan a few tomorrow at work and post em when I get some time.

RazorKing said:
"Don't worry that children never listen to you. Worry that they are always watching you."

haha..I figured you'd show up sooner or later...we'll discuss the gun design tonite!

When my wife and I went to Scotland, we stopped at Urquhart Castle (located along the west bank of Loch Ness) - they had a trebuchet on the grounds - very cool.

Here's a great picture of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraserredmond/59639739/in/set-1292727/

Was a very awesome visit as the RAF was also doing several training runs - saw a flight of 3 RAF Tornados cruise up the Loch, flying only a hundred feet or so above the water, wingtip to wingtip. We were in one of the towers and were actually able to look down at the planes. I've never seen anything that cool before (B-2 flyover at an airshow is close second)

Bobberrific said:
As with many males, I too am intrigued by such things. I was about to build a propane potatoe gun. A kid in my class had one set up. He made concrete shots for it in pales. That sounded like a real cannon. Demolished an old computer case with 1 shot. They're just so cool, maybe over the summer I will get the ambition to build one again.

Excellent Bob!

this coming summer we'll have to have a meeting of the minds with the pa people...keg..cigars...explosives!

what more could a grown man ask for...

Haha, thats awesome Ravyn. I built a 12ft tall one for my final in midevil history class. Got an A+ of course :). Lemme see if I can dig up a picture for you guys.

Brenda said:
Did you visit any of the Scotch Whisky Distilleries?

But of course! Got to go to the Glenfiddich distillery. Very awesome. They have these HUGE barrels where they ferment something like 50,000 litres - and they had at least 10 in the one room we were in and several other rooms with more. Each barrel was about 20 feet tall and we walked around on a catwalk system so we'd be near the tops of the barrels.

The cool part was the tour guide went around and found one that wasn't too hot and opened the top and you could look right down in and see it all. Always makes me wonder if I'm going to find someone's ring in a bottle someday.

Also got to see one of their warehouses where they age the scotch and he showed us a few barrels that had been aging for over 60 years.

One interesting note was that they make two different versions of scotch - a 43% alcohol version for export to the US (and some other countries I think) and a 40% one for European use. You couldn't buy the 43% version anywhere except in the airport if you had a ticket to the states...

Scotland was an amazing trip - we were only there for a week and saw Edinburgh, Inverness, and Aberdeen as well as the country in between. I would like to go back for a solid month and tour more of the area (and visit more distilleries)

cybrus said:
I would like to go back for a solid month and tour more of the area (and visit more distilleries)
That's really cool. I'm dying to go.

:cry: no $$$

A good single malt is the only whiskey I';ll drink.

Grenmerangie highland 10 yr is my fav....I asked santa to bring me a bottle.