Medical opinion and or advice

Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts | 0+
central FL
I am a 20 ++ year smoker of cigars. They are the signal to my mind and body it is time to shut dow, escape, relax and enjoy good company.

I recently had to have a couple of lower abdominal aneurysms repaired with two stents being used. I am now on Plavix for 90 days which means no alcohol. I am not happy with that but I am content knowing that 90 days will go by quickly.

The real snag is my cardiologist and vascular surgeon saying no cigars.....EVER. Not one a day or one a week or special occasions....NEVER!! Supposedly the nicotene tends to affect the serum/thickness of the blood i.e. making it "sticky" and attracted to stents. Potential for clotting and or blockafe of stents or both.

I have been unable to research anything anywhere that specifically points to these risks as they pertain to cigars....all usually about cigarettes.

I have read a little that "ocassional" cigar smoking one per day or less most likely will have no noteable changes.

I would like to think of it like salt...I know it is bad for me, but I do use it sparingly.

I would love to converse with a cigar smoking physician/surgeon for their opinion on the matter.

Anybody have anything encouraging on the subject?

btk

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry but would have to say that you should listen to the doctors.

billthekid,

Welcome to the forum!

I am with Tony, if the doctors say don't do it because your life is in jeopardy, then don't do it.

I also agree with you. I wouldn't think our bodies would absorb enough nicotine from a cigar a day to make any difference. I would research it more and do as you say, get a second opinion. And no, I wouldn't take advice from a general practicioner. What I am saying is that a cardiologist knows more than the general.

DL

Here is my experience from August. Had to go to a cardiologist because of an erratic ekg after a bunch of tests I need to have a stent put in.

The cardiologist, who is a friend of mine, sat down with me to go over everything. I volunteered my cigar smoking hobby, which was about 2-3 cigars a week during golf season. He said, "You have to quit smoking altogether". My reply was, "Bob, that's not a fucking option." I told him I woud cut down to 2-3 a month and he said, "That's fine, as a cardiologist I can't tell you it's okay to smoke anything." He went over the increased risks and the stent and such.

I don't really smoke in the winter much, now not at all. And I will stick to only 2-3 a month. To be honest it will be more like 1 -2.

To each his own and I am not advocating that you ignore his advice. This is just my recent situation and my talk with my cardiologist.

My GP has been after me to quit smoking cigars for a few years after I came down with bladder cancer. My urologist on the other hand maintains that bladder cancer is the result of chemicals and cigarettes. I changed a few things in my life, including stopping smoking the pipe in the garage and ending drinking diet soda. I also began taking vitamins and increasing the input of antioxidants. I had a second tumor removed and have been in remission since then (about 3 years ago). I smoke the pipe much less and continue to smoke as many or more cigars. I haven't smoked a cigarette since early 1978.

I appreciate the sharing of information.
I amnot looking for a free pass or collaboration to give me a green light to smoke.
Without any medical issues, we all know the risks of smoking cigars and we all make our independent decisions to smoke them or not....many or few.

I am a 3-5 cigars a week person. At cigar events maybe two in an outing.
So I categorize myself as an ocassional smoker. Mid 70's, excellent health, 3 mile a day walker at 3 miles per hour every day, eat healthy and have been doing this for more of the 70 + years than not. Father dies at 55 and brother at 39 of heart problems as a result I have lived a heart health life.

Me, my body, my mind are just so tuned to that hour or so of complete relaxation and disconnect from the day to day and the companionship of others like me....when smoking that ocassional cigar.

I understand the medical professionals especially cardiologists and vascular surgeons being dead set against "smoking".

The new big issue for me is that I now have stents in my body....not in the heart. I acknowledge my system even with one cigar a week would not be as clean/good as the non smoker...that is a given.

If I use a different example like taking a prescribed medication. For it to work one has to take it as prescribed, consistently for it to work. To take it ocassionally 2-4 times per week....most likely will result in little or no effect.

I am trying to educate myself to the point where I am convinced (or not) that an ocassional cigar will not result in a catostrophic event. I also subscribe to the notion that my ocassional cigar smoking is of therapetic significance and is therefore good for me. I know that has nothing to do with the chemical reactions of nicotene and resultant effect on stents......but how much does it take....or how little to not matter.

I am following doctors orders to the letter until my 90 day check up with cat scan etc. May 1st is my day. By then I should have garnered enough info to make my personal informed decision.

Thanx again for the input.

btk

btk:

I think this is the prudent route for you - do the 90 and check out the cat scan.

I do agree with you on all points, even when healthy we are taking on a risk - up to us whether or not it is an acceptable one or not. I have explained that to my kids over the years. I used to be a cigarette smoker - quit back in '91 on my wedding day.

The therapeutic aspect is pretty big for me. I only smoke very good cigars nowadays, since I am down to a couple a month.

Good luck with the catscan/testing and also the decision.