Mold or plume.

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
I am guessing mold. My dad came back from the St.Martien, I even gave him the address of the LCDH there but he did not make it. He did bring me back some pretty good sticks anyways. but here are the pictures. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• mold1.jpg
    mold1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 421
  • Mold2.jpg
    Mold2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 421
That's what I thought Doc. It is strange. it is on three cigars all tubes and all RYJ?

Mold, But not a lost cause!
I'd take it out of the tube - wipe it down let it sit out for a few hours.
(To dry a bit - the mold hates that!)
Then smoke them - or put them into a lip lock and watch them
I doubt the problem will get worse.
A tube can creat heat if in the sun or something?
Are these new or have they been in your humidor for long?
CC

Brand new. My Dad brought them back from the Caribbean. Yhe othere two were churchills and only had one spot on them.

I had the same thing on my RJ rothschild, in tubes. It brushed off easily, and I havent noticed anything different, or growing on them.... should I be worried? i have had them since December

CC I do know that these are Non-cuban if that is what your looking for but here are the pics that you asked for, Thanks, I have been working on my Photo skills or lack of

Attachments

• Band.jpg
    Band.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Cap.jpg
    Cap.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 385
  • Tube.jpg
    Tube.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 385
  • Cap1.jpg
    Cap1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 385
If that's mold I've got to review my knowledge base, although a few spots do look like advanced bloom stretching into mold. Having smoked even cigars that had the dreaded blue mold on them in my time however, I'd say that provided it doesn't grow any more, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those cigars, and they will taste just fine. I would also defer to CC and Doc-T about them saying it was mold, though. Just don't let it throw you. Do what they said and they'll be fine.

Bloof, don't think I am not going to smoke them.. Penacillin is mold to and they make you take that. :lol: :twisted:

Rule of thumb: If you have to ask...it's mold.

The heaviest plume I have ever seen looked like a cigar that had been to the beach. It had what looked like tiny crystals of sand coming out of the wrapper.

I am all over my cigars. When I catch mold starting, I dust them off, rotate them and change their location. No biggie.

all the celophane does is protect the cigar. Celophane is a porous material.
i read this on http://www.cheaphumidors.com :
Cigars are stored in what is called cellophane. The cellophane is used to prevent the cigars from being damaged, and deters against flavors mixing. But what many people don't know is that cellophane is actually a porous material. In other words, it allows humidity to pass through it.

Want an example? Take a cigar in the wrapper and leave it outside your humidor for a week. You might as well throw it away, it will be ruined. The wrapper didn't hold in the humidity, it did nothing at all really. So it isn't hard to see how the wrapper doesn't really effect the humidity of the cigar.

if this statement is true then the celophane will NOT help protect from mold

here is the link to cheaphumidor.com's FAQ and the snippet that i stole
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/ ... n=new_faqs