More Time To Smoke Cigars

Joined Apr 2005
348 Posts | 0+
Tidewater, Virginia
Yes gang I have found a way to have more Cigar time. :D Last week I renewed my subscibtion to Norton Utilities, 8) including the latest and greatest SPAM BLOCKER. :lol: Now when I open my email account I have time to go down to the garage, fire up the heater, light up a nice cigar, open a can of squirt and sit and enjoy the cigar all before what is left of my email is ready to read. That is if there is any left to read. :( I just turned it OFF. I just love technology. :roll:

Ever notice that these programs that were supposed to save your computer for harm make it so that we do not want to use them at all? I downloaded a spyware protector that completely crashed my home computer. I am still waiting for someone to fix it.

I put a spam blocker in & it was fine, But it over rid my popup blocker & then I started to get tons of pop up adds, so I removed the spam blocker & now everything is back to normal, as normal can be frustrationg to say the lest ! , hahahaha
Enjoy, Vince

I hate to say it, but I hate Norton products.

For spyware protection in real-time, I use Spyware Blaster. (Free)
For spyware scanning (on-demand) that Spyware Blaster misses, I use Spybot Search & Destroy. (Free)

In conjuction with just spyware protection, you also need a firewall.
For this, I use Kerio Personal Firewall on my PC (free), and Zonelabs Zone Alarm (free) on wife's PC. In tandem with the software firewall, my router acts as a hardware firewall. Hardware firewalls prevents incoming attacks. Software firewalls prevents incomming attacks that get pass the hardware firewall, AND prevents/notifies of unsolicited OUTgoing connections (usually initiated by spyware products).

Also have an Anti-Virus program, Kaspersky AntiVirus (not free).
And an Anti-Trojan, Trojan Hunter (not free).

Along with this, I've modified MS WinXP's properties (in the Administrative area) which prevents certain registry entries (which spy/ad-ware / trojans/worms/etc programs just LOVE to mess with).

I have more things done, but can't remember at the moment.

Call me anal, but I don't want my PC's infiltrated by some money-making commerce or script-kiddies.

I use Avast for anti-virus, updates almost daily. Use the free Zone Alarm on both computers, are behind a router which acts as a second firewall. Also use the Microsoft anti-malware software. No problems in a while. Had more problems with the Norton Security Suite. Paul

I use Brian - (Not Free)
But works very well - has for many many years and I almost never have any problems.
Problem with Brian - is he lives 2 hours away & is always busy.
I guess when your good - you get busy.
But he comes over once a month or so & makes sure everything is working right.
I do get a good deal as we have been friends for many many years.
I'm not sure what protects my computer,
but rarely have I had any probelms.
Brian - aka "CybrSaint"

you need a mac, i never used to be a mac person, but ever since my fiancee got a powerbook, i will never go back to pc

I use Macs at work, and we have very little trouble with pop-ups and that sort of thing. They take some getting used to if you have been a PC user all your life, but not that big a deal. Only drawback I have with the Mac is software availablity....and if you are a gamer...no dice! BUT...it is getting better..and now Mac is using Intell processors too. I read an article about the new Windows version comming out... they say it is getting more like Mac OS...we shall see..... :roll:

Both my laptop and desktop are macs. I've never had any problems with viruses, popups, or anything else for that matter.

i use macafee on my pc. have never had any problems with this program. it runs great imho :D

AMEN!!! georgenickson

however, keep in mind that the reason macs don't attract viruses, spyware, etc... is because nobody writes them for mac, due to their lack of popularity. virus writing simply isn't effecient for macs. therefore, we need to keep the mac user numbers small... :)

PS. virus writers should be put to death.

PC's are used more in business whereas macs are used by people in arts and entertainment. Who wouldn't want to write viruses against microsoft, they have all the money.

Software availability is the strongest reason I still use a PC. I used Macs for years as a free-lancer, and HATED being restricted from the rest of the world when it came to software.

Haven't tried the newest versions of Macs, maybe one day....

The biggest saving grace for me is getting Office for Mac. Everything with it is compatible with the Windows version.

Doc-T said:
Along with this, I've modified MS WinXP's properties (in the Administrative area) which prevents certain registry entries (which spy/ad-ware / trojans/worms/etc programs just LOVE to mess with).

This makes my brain hurt. :banghead:

**must not make a statement about macs! Stick to cigars, because you love them and they love you.**

**calm down it could be worse, right?**

**Oh man. oh man!!!**

**mac**

:soap: