morning fright

Amy

Joined Nov 2003
2K Posts | 0+
Paradise CA
well im not feeling good again so i called in sick. i took the oportunity of extra time to check my humidors and refill the humidification sponges. they are all sitting at around 60% and i havent been able to get them higher since the heater has been running all the time and its dried up outside. upon inspecting my larger humidor i found MOLD on the humidification sponge. so this morning was spend inspecting all my cigars for mold, thankfully there was none. what a close call! ill be buying a cooler this weekend and an oasis. im tired of worrying about keeping my cigars at the right humidity.

You can take a razor, or razor sharp knife, scrape that stuff off and the humidity sponge will still be good. I had to do that when mold developed on the foam inside the black plastic container in Desk Top IV last year. I got the foam out, gently scraped the mold off until only green was showing, and to this day, that humidifier is working fine. No more mold has grown in either.

My jar o jelly crystal stuff had mold in it as well. I had to pop the top off and get gooey fingers trying to dig out the moldy piece and surrounding pieces...I thought that stuff had like anti mold stuff....

the cartridge doesnt come appart, i thought about dousing it with bleach but that wouldnt make my cigars taste too good.

I hate when the cartridges won't come apart. There's usually a way, but sometimes you can mar the plastic a bit in getting it out. The one in Desk Top IV had a way of getting to it that was like trying to get a secret out of a dead Marine Drill Sergeant. I finally got to it, and scraped the offending mold off. I've been very fortunate that my little surgery worked. It kept me from spending the money on another device. Too bad you can't get to yours.

I hear putting some vodka in with the cartridge after its been filled several times helps keep mold away...

:cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh:

Bloofington said:
:cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh:

Lol... like a little bit of vodka mixed in with whatever you use to refill your cartridge. The alcohol is supposed to act as a mold supressant(sp?)

In my modified cigar oasis I use a couple drops of vodka (since I can't get any everclear here in CA), and I add it to the super absorbing polymers. When I first tweaked the cigar oasis I would get a couple crystals covered in a green slime. I haven't seen any since adding the booze.

axegod75 said:
In my modified cigar oasis I use a couple drops of vodka (since I can't get any everclear here in CA), and I add it to the super absorbing polymers. When I first tweaked the cigar oasis I would get a couple crystals covered in a green slime. I haven't seen any since adding the booze.

Well surely you can get some moonshine lol

SOunds like your doing the right thing!

you can always go to a florist and buy some floral foam -
it is very cheap!

I had placed a big block 4X6X4 into a plastic container, soaked it with water & placed it a humidor I had to hold me over till I had better.
It was a few years ago before I had a CO. Worked well.

I used compressed air cans to blow the mold off the humidication device... worked really well!

FYI if you do use compressed air, make sure you take the device outside of your humidor before blowing it off... Would'nt want to blow the mold into your humidor.

iminaquagmire said:
You can't get Everclear in CA? What about Goldslager?

Goldschlager is available at every liquor store and even in grocery stores out here, but no Everclear.

goldshlager... <BARF> got drunk off that one too many times.

I thought GoldSchlager had a higher proof. At 95% alchohol though I can see why everclear would be banned.

It does. Or at least something like that. I also found out that there's approximately $1.40 in gold in a 750ml bottle (depending of course on the gold exchange rate at the time).

yea, its gold flakes, more than paper thin. you could drink them and not even know it. theres a restaurant that sells a cake that has gold leaf on top, same idea.