Music and Cigars - Choices and Recommendations

Joined Apr 2006
28 Posts | 0+
Boston, MA
This may be a more unique thread...or not. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys listen to if you're chilling by yourself with your favorite book, magazine, etc. I've been a part of jazz for years and years (performing as well), so here's my recommendations. The perfect cigar music, socially, or by yourself:

Dave Brubeck Quartet

Albums:

Time Out
Jazz Impressions Of Eurasia

I can definitely agree with Brubeck. Also some Gerald Albright, or either of the Marsalis bros for jazz. If it's a blues mood, definitely Gatemouth or Keb 'Mo. These all come out for special occasions / moods though. Some of my everyday favorites are Jack's Mannequin, Something Corporate, Dashboard Confessional, Coheed & Cambria, Motion City Soundtrack, Halifax, the list go on.................

Good choice. That is one of my favorite Jazz Albums.

Personally I like John Coltrane for cigar smoking. Nice and mellow ( well mellow for my taste in jazz). I also like to listen to the blues on Sunday mornings while having a cup of coffee and a cigar. Either that or the Grateful Dead. The close out of winterland is a great show to listen to. It has my favorite version of Fire on the Mountain.

Good Cigar Music? Hmmm - that's a great question. Though I find it hard to tie music directly to the cigar, but more towards the activity (which can often dictate a cigar)

Some good combos:

Activity: Reading a good novel
Beverage: Sipping a tumbler of good rum over a few ice cubes
Cigar: anything by Cusano (smooth, consistent, not so complicated that you have to pay as much attention to the cigar)
Music: Jimmy Buffett album "Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays" (I know every song by heart so I don't have to pay attention to the words - just chill with the tunes)

Activity: Relaxing with the wife and/or the dog, watching the planes fly overhead
Beverage: Steaming mug of Kenya AA coffee and a small tumbler of good scotch - no ice, no water
Cigar: Monte #4 or ERDM Choix Supreme or anything Camacho
Music: Dire Straits album "On The Night" - live versions of lots of their best songs

Activity: Friends over for dinner and a relaxing evening
Beverage: Good Beer - Penn Pilsner, St Pauli Girl Dark, Murphys Irish Red or a good Red Wine - Ecco Domani Merlot, Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel
Cigar: CAO Black or any Aston or Partagas Black Label
Music: Jackson Browne album "The Best Of", Stevie Ray Vaughn album Live at Carnegie Hall, The Cars album Greatest Hits, Depeche Mode album Music For The Masses

Good calls cybrus!! I've found with my new location and recent changes in my life I haven't been listening to anything while I enjoy a cigar. Getting into just clearing the white noise out of my head and enjoying what journey the stick I'm smoking takes me on...

Being a musician, that's unusual for me, but it's the here and now. I would also list though Pink floyd, Dark side of the moon, the Doors, any but greatest hits works, or I find myself dialing up the local "oldies" station and enjoying songs that I grew up with.

My 2 cents...now let's smoke! 8)

Those are also great choices Eclipse - and you've got me very jealous that you were able to get to Charlotte, but I wasn't!

Make sure to check out the Double Door - hole in the wall where I saw THE BEST BLUES CONCERT EVER. Couldn't tell you where it was, but it's probably fairly well known.

Cybrus...The door is always open to a fellow 'burgher and BOTL!! anytime you want to come down you are most welcome!

I will definately look into the club you speak of! I have caught a bunch of local acts at so intimate clubs and loved all of them, so, that is definatley a plus of being here!

It depends on the mood. mid afternoon i can be found outside (if its nice) listening to Rush. Not music... but some interesting views.

otherwise im a fan of BBking. A good cigar and the awesomeness that is BB and all my stress melts away.

pink floyd is another one of my favorites. the album "wish you were here" i find goes well with a smoke and a glass of wine.

If the situation is a BBQ/ party ill go for a little Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and other assorted classic rock.

though i like mostly rock and roll (and most of that on the heavy side) cgars bring me down a notch. Cigars are my relaxation tool and its hard to use that tool while listening to Tool.

Music that does not go with a good cigar: anything by weird al,
anything "X-TREAM!!!!", any "gangsta" rap (unless its a black and mild but those arent really cigars in my book)

Nice Brenda! Bet that was fun meeting him!

Kuzi - I'm with you - I have alot of Classic Rock, but like you said, cigars tend to be a bit more mellow. Hard to smoke a cigar in the middle of a mosh pit!

Buffet definitely. Lennon, Dead, Johnny Cash, Springsteen, Bob Seger. There's a lot and my music ranges. I've been known to listen to Rammstein while smoking. :lol:

What I'm really getting into is podcasts. Blowin Smoke I'm just getting into and Penn Jillette from Penn and Teller I really like. His show is freakin' hysterical. Brenda, you met him in Vegas, right? She meets all the cool people.

Archangelo Corelli - Violin Sonata's one through twelve.
Pietro Locatelli - The Art of the Violin

iminaquagmire said:
Blowin Smoke I'm just getting into and Penn Jillette from Penn and Teller I really like. His show is freakin' hysterical. Brenda, you met him in Vegas, right?
Yeah, they were both really sweet.

iminaquagmire said:
She meets all the cool people.
I haven't met anyone from the forum, yet. Yet.

Jared,
I'm a huge Jazz buff. I go for any of the 1st quintet Miles Davis albums, Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin' .
But, one of my desert island jazz discs: Miles Davis '58 Sessions, is THE one.
This album was a conglomeration of sorts, as some of the music was from an old LP "Jazz at the Plaza" which had been out of print, but is now available again on CD(also a great live snapshot of the band at that particular time).
This album has Miles, Cannonball, 'Trane, Mr. P.C., Jimmy Cobb, and Bill Evans. Even though I kinda miss, Philly Jo and my man Red Garland on this album, the cast is a freakin' WHo's Who of the Jazz World, no?
Check it out if you don't know it!

The Daddy

i am a huge Stevie Ray Vaughn fan and usually have one of his cd's on when i kick back and relax :D :D :D

rmrdaddy said:
I go for any of the 1st quintet Miles Davis albums, Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin' .
But, one of my desert island jazz discs: Miles Davis '58 Sessions, is THE one.
This album was a conglomeration of sorts, as some of the music was from an old LP "Jazz at the Plaza"
Preach it!