My article is late...

Joined Sep 2007
626 Posts | 1+
In my Mack truck somewhere in a Chicago suburb smo
Hey gang...hope everyone is well in your world. I have a question for you all, and would love to hear some feedback.....

I started a new feature on CigarStudent.com called "Local Spotlight", being a place to write articles on different tobacco stores around the country either by email or in person. One of the stores I was interested in writing about has refused to be featured. No big deal...I can handle that...that's not what bothers me. You see, the first time I went there (been there twice now), I was accused of robbing the place. Here's the story...

When I visit tobacco shops, I always take my time. I look at cigars, talk to my wife..(he he got to get used to saying that now...just got married on valentines day...), explain things, ogle over cigars, etc. I am always very courteous as I never touch a cigar that doesn't have cellophane on it...I don't squeeze them, or any other thing that would be "inconsiderate". I have even been asked if I am opening a cigar shop...I think all my talking to my wife about different cigars made them nervous. Being knowledgeable about cigars, they thought maybe I was "moving into town" to take their business. This is about the most perfect transition for introducing myself and my website.

At this last tobacconist I went to, I introduced myself, gave him my card, explained the site, etc. He said "I'll think about it" or something to that effect, and I continued to look around. Its a really nice place, nice lounge, and lots of smokes. They even had their own brand, which I found very interesting...asking questions about it like where they are made and such. There are two owners, and when we walked in, I started to gauge which one would be most receptive to my wanting to interview them for the website. I really thought I chose the right guy...but....

The owner I talked to earlier walks up to me and says, "So tell me more about this" holding up my card, wanting more info on the site and the interview I wanted to do. I go into the best spiel I have given yet, blah blah blah, as he is walking toward the back. I'm following him back, walking and talking, as we get to the back. He interrupts me.
"The reason I brought you back here is because I think you took one of our cigars."
I pause.
"Your serious," I said calmly.
"Yah, we have video cameras in the humidors, and I think you took one of our cigars."
I just went to being a fond admirer of his shop to a thief. I was taken back, but I handled it like a champ. It didn't really offend me at the time, I was more worried about calmly showing this man I didn't steal anything. I turned my pockets outward showing how they were empty. I shook out my sleeves. I showed him only my cell phone was in my cargo pocket. I took off my hat...so on and so on, all willingly....covering every base I could think of. I was then going to set my bag down to start emptying it, showing him the cigars I had with me and such, and he stops me.
"No that's ok..." He still had this look on his face like he is absolutely certain I took something but can't prove it...like I'm too good to get caught...it was a look of anger meets disgust. I proceeded to tell him this wasn't exactly the best foot to get off on, apologizing to him for the confusion, and explaining I still had an interest in featuring his shop on the website. I reminded him that I gave him my card. He has all my information on it. I explained that if he sees something on these video cameras (I don't even know if there were any cameras), he knows where to find me. I even offered to stay while he watched the tape.
"No, no, no...we're good, we're good."

Here's the thing....this is in a ritzy town of wealthy people, with a local college of wealthy kids. I go walking in there in my "laid off trucker" clothes, sporting a "laid off trucker" beard and a Carhart stocking hat. I'm thinking I was profiled "too poor to buy cigars" and with my profound interest in their cigars, I must be there to rob the place. What gets me is this owner accused me of stealing after I gave him my card with all my info on it.. I ended up buying some pipe tobacco before I left, and reminded him once again that I gave him my card if he needs to find me.
"Oh, no we're all good, we're all good". I think he realized by the end of it all that he just did a "shake down" on someone with a public voice, and that article I wanted to write could be a smearing of epic proportions because he just accused me of stealing.

I returned to the store a couple of weeks later, and talked to the other guy about the article. I flash my card and explain I was in a while back and he interrupts me saying cheerily "Yah, we got your card." The guy practically tackled me, he said he'd be happy to do it. He wrote down the email address for me, as I suggested we do it by email. I think they later talked, and the other owner wanted to make sure that an interview went up instead of an article of what happened. I typed up a good interview, and sent it off. Nothing....sent another one.....nothing.....so I sent another email asking if they were going to return the interview and if they hadn't received them to let me know, and I can send them another one. This was his response....

I think we are going to pass thanks

Here is my question...the above post is nearly a finished article on the whole thing, and it would only take a few tweaks to finally "feature" this tobacconist on CigarStudent. The truth as it happened. It would make a great article. Do I write it? Can it bite me in the ass later? What are your thoughts?

First, talk to a lawyer. Then, if there's a green light, follow your heart and journalistic senses. Definitely, without fail, by all means, and in all seriousness, talk to a lawyer first.

I agree with Bloof, no need to get yourself in trouble for slander or something like that. Also, needless to say, after being accused of stealing, I'd never enter that store again, they don't deserve your business.

I completely agree with PuFf. I am a young businessman for a top company and get profiled all of the time. When not at work, I head out with jeans/t-shirt and my White Sox hat backwards and will get dirty looks, no attention, and general piercing daggers shot at me. What these stores don't recognize is that negative publicity is the worst advertising they can provide. I get my payback by strongly recommending my friends/family to never visit these types of stores again. I have no problem not visiting a store that wants nothing to do with me.

My recommendation is to keep on with what you do and recommend to all your friends/family to not visit that store. You will find people who will respect you for yourself.

No need to dress up for snobs anyways.

Here's my thought(s) on the whole situation...

First, these folks do not deserve your business and I would make sure that all of my friends knew what happened. I would definitely speak to a lawyer prior to posting the name of the shop. It might be best to let it go (except for the negative word of mouth.)

The best thing IMHO would be to do what a friend of mine and I did a few months back. We actually visited every cigar store within a 30 minute drive from our work. We did this to get a feel for the different shops and different atmospheres. One place we visited, the owner followed us around like a Saks employee keeping tabs on Wynona Rider. So, those shops exist everywhere.

I've had that happen a couple of times. The last time was actually in a shop in Naperville, IL while I was there on a business trip.

Anyway, I would suggest finding a shop that you feel comfortable with. Somewhere that you can go and there are folks from all walks of life. Somewhere that no one judges you on your appearance, but simply asks "Whatcha' smokin'?" or "Can I help you find a particular stick?" Get to know the folks. Find out what other shops are similar. Then approach the interview. I bet once you get to know the folks at your local B&M, you can much more easily get the interview. It's been my experience that cigar shop owners all know each other. Once you get one interview, you'll get more.

The best revenge would be to get the "in" with the other B&Ms and completely ignore these guys.

Just my $.02

--Scott

You just could not resist could you....You are such a kleptomaniac, Heath :lol:

I know your frustration. There is a B&M in town with the reputation of "looking over your shoulder" and "checking" in on you while you are in the walk in. The have cameras EVERYWHERE! and they are well hidden. They even have a camera upstairs in the smoking room. Needless to say, when a second B&M opened up, they lost A LOT of business.

I would definitely check with a lawyer, and if all is in the clear, i would write the article and name names. People want to know what kind of people they are doing business with. I would never set foot in that establishment if i knew they had that reputation.

There is a B&M in town with the reputation of "looking over your shoulder" and "checking" in on you while you are in the walk in.

Yeah, I used to live in a rather isolated college town without a real B&M (head shop didn't count) until about a year after I moved. I was elated when I heard one was opening about ten minutes from my apartment, but after a few trips, I stopped showing up. I think the owner set it up to be a little social club for himself, never left you alone! I'm no hermit, but being hounded from the time you walk in to the time you leave is never a good way to keep business.

As to the to write or not to write question, I've nothing new to add, other than to reiterate the lawyer advice.

my quick take i didnt have time to read the others yet sorry if im repeating....

post it up.

but do it under the statement of "this is what happened to me" not "this store does this to everyone" describe how you looked. describe the area. dont attack.

be as unemotional as you can.

in my mind, giving a review on a store is the same as giving a review of a cigar. if it sucks, say so. the store cant sue you because you didnt like them. say you arent attacking them personally and that you know they have a buisness to run and they are just lookin out for themselves.

dont tell people not to go there. just give facts.

im not a fan of McDonalds and i tell everyone i know that i think they suck .

i think their service sucks, i think their food sucks, i feel that im treated poorly there. they wont sue me for doing this its my opinion.
thats all it is OPINION
free speach.

Do NOT just post it without speaking to a lawyer first, because everyone's interpretation of what are "facts" is different. Not everyone who goes to court with the "facts" wins. Speak to a lawyer first before publicly describing ANY of this experience.

Bloofington said:
Do NOT just post it without speaking to a lawyer first, because everyone's interpretation of what are "facts" is different. Not everyone who goes to court with the "facts" wins. Speak to a lawyer first before publicly describing ANY of this experience.

Yup.

This is why forums like this and the ability to purchase over the internet are a nice option. You don't have to put up with these fools.

First off if he had accused me of stealing and would not call the police I would have called them myself if for no other reason then to get it on paper. right now your left with he said you said.

As for what you wrote. Make a copy and take it to him tell him your going to publish it online and see what he says.

Personally I would pots it and send it in to all the local papers. However I got nothing but time.

The idea to get a lawyer to give you some advice ain't bad either. Right or wrong the guy could come after you.

phisherman said:
It can only be slander if its not true; if it is true; you cannot sue.

Oh you can sue,,,just ask any lawyer. Doesn't mean you will win though. Absolutly is not slander if it's true, but you can sue anyone.
Will cost a big box of cigars to hire a lawyer to defend yourself.

Hue

elidog said:
Bloofington said:

Yup.

i guess what i ment by "facts" is your "opinion"

the facts from your point of view. like i said i can say a store sucks all i want. Hell, i can even protest the store with signs out front (as long as i dont block the entrance and i am not on his property)
free speach lets you do those things. its not slander to not like someone. if you accuse him of something... thats different. but if you just say hes sucks and you think hes unfriendly, thats not slander. its your opinion.

You can still have a case where everyone agrees on the facts, yet the wrong side wins. This is too sticky a situation to go forth without at least a 15-30 minute consultation with an attorney.

To me, there are too many "bads" that could come from posting it, and not enough "goods". I wouldn't do it, even though it is true.

By the way, I'm starting to get the feeling that Bloof thinks you should consult a lawyer first... :wink:

Our newspapers, televisions, and radios are filled with stories of people who leapt before they looked, every day. You can't even tell a woman she looks nice at the job any more, without risking a sexual harassment suit. This situation is a lot stickier, since the store can always claim that the story is an outright lie. Then it becomes really sticky, with both sides trying to get witnesses to their views of the facts, and stuff like this just mushrooms into something that BOTH sides will regret.

from my Lawyer friend:

I'm sure that you didn't write that piece, but you are inquiring on behalf of the writer.

I don't see anything wrong (legally) with the essay. The store nor its owners are identified and, with the assurance that it is factual, even if the store were identified, any defamation claim (if it's defamatory at all which I doubt) would be defensable.

I can't give any legal reason why it shouldn't be published.