My first Humidor.

Joined May 2013
7 Posts | 0+
USA
So, being completely new to all of this, I've decided the first thing i need for my collection is a humidor for my soon to be collection. I was wondering what the best bang for my buck would be. I think the most effective size would be somewhere from 50 to 100 cigars and my budget is preferably under $80 or so. But i can stretch if it's worth it. Thanks in advance!
Also, to the staff of the forum, I was unsure if this belonged in the Cigar Humidor subforum, or the Cigar Questions subforum, if I placed it in the wrong one, just move it please!

No worries, John. It's good where its at.

With this hobby, thinking several months down the road is a good idea. You will accumulate some cigars pretty fast. I think a 50-100 count is ideal. If you find later down the road that this hobby isn't for you, then you won't lose a huge investment. I started out with a 100ct box. I outgrew it in about six months. Then I bought a second 100ct and quickly outgrew that. My next was a medium cabinet. With that, two 100ct and one 50ct desktop, I am doing okay. I can seperate my cigars to my liking, though its not necessary. I have plans for a custom made cabinet by Aristocrat that will hold 900 loose cigars, and 50 boxes. It is an electronically cooled and humidified cabinet. That will be a little ways down the road. Aristocrat gave me a quote of about $4500. As you can see, this hobby is a steep, slippery slope!

Cheers,

DL

Or, you can get a "Lock N Lock" container in the biggest size they have, that will hold the beginnings of your collection, and give you some room to grow. When you have decided how many cigars you want to accumulate, I personally only have about 200 at a time, and tupperware containers with pieces of cedar in them from old cigar boxes is all I use.

There you go brother, and welcome to the madness.

No worries, John. It's good where its at.

With this hobby, thinking several months down the road is a good idea. You will accumulate some cigars pretty fast. I think a 50-100 count is ideal. If you find later down the road that this hobby isn't for you, then you won't lose a huge investment. I started out with a 100ct box. I outgrew it in about six months. Then I bought a second 100ct and quickly outgrew that. My next was a medium cabinet. With that, two 100ct and one 50ct desktop, I am doing okay. I can seperate my cigars to my liking, though its not necessary. I have plans for a custom made cabinet by Aristocrat that will hold 900 loose cigars, and 50 boxes. It is an electronically cooled and humidified cabinet. That will be a little ways down the road. Aristocrat gave me a quote of about $4500. As you can see, this hobby is a steep, slippery slope!

Cheers,

DL

Thanks! Do you have any advice in terms of brands or where to look for what I need? I appreciate the help.

Or, you can get a "Lock N Lock" container in the biggest size they have, that will hold the beginnings of your collection, and give you some room to grow. When you have decided how many cigars you want to accumulate, I personally only have about 200 at a time, and tupperware containers with pieces of cedar in them from old cigar boxes is all I use.

There you go brother, and welcome to the madness.

That's one I haven't read about at all! I'll be sure to look into that as an option, but I still like the way the humidors look too. I will check it out as a potential way to store cigars that I might not have room for down the road. Thanks for the help!

John,

I don't really know any specific brand names. I did however buy two of my desktops from Cigars International. They carry quality stuff. You might also check Tampa Humidors. I hear good things about them.

DL

John,

I started smoking cigars about 6 months ago and I bought my first humidor which was a 125 ct, which really means you want to have about half of that in it because it wont truly hold 125. Its already filled up and that was a month ago lol. So if I can put my 2 cents in I would recommend getting a big one if your going to continue the hobby.

Austin

I've got 4 small humidors (20-50 ct), one 100 ct. and a 300 ct(reallyaround170). The rest are in 5 plastic containers holding from 150-600 cigars and 3 glass canning type jars. If I had to do it over-my smallest would be the 100ct humidor. I'm hoping to reduce the stockpile and perhaps pick up another humidor or 2. Last night I finally ordered some beads that I've been planning to start using for humidification.

The best humidors at reasonable prices are at cigar sites, such as CI and Thompson.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I guess I should start looking into brands more heavily.

Good luck!

Good luck on finding your humidor! There are many out there that will do just fine, it's just about finding the one for you.

Best,

Go as large as you can afford. I am running into this with my wine fridge. I thought a wine fridge holding 28 bottles would be big enough. Not even close.

Try cigarbid.com. Look under merchandise. They are part of cigarsinternational. I have bought a TON of stuff from them.

Good luck!!

I like the Tuscany best of the 5 you listed. You might be able to beat that price on Cigar Bid- but shipping is not free. Just looked and you could do a quick buy for a little less. Might try a bid (WARNING --- Cigar Bid is addictive).