National Bourbon Heritage Month

Joined Dec 2006
629 Posts | 0+
CT
I just found out that September is Nat'l Bourbon Heritage Month. Must celebrate!!! :thumbsup: . Where the hell was Bloof with this news?? :wink:

Wow. Where the hell was I is right!!! I didn't even know that, but it is funny, because every September at the start of football season, I also proclaim the new bourbon season, hee, heee!!!

GEEEEEEEEEEEEZ! We have some catching up to do men! While I believe all weather is Bourbon weather I especially like to drink it when the weather starts to cool down. Times a waistin so lets git to it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shoot!!
Glad I had some Van Winkle last nite!!

Lemme go get a forearm full of something right now! BRB.... :thumbsup:

I really wish I could aquire a taste for this. I recently bought a bottle of Maker's Mark in Silverthorne Colorado, and a bottle of Sheep Dip (a blend) from my friends liquor store. Oh yeah, I also have a new bottle of KC from a pass. I guess I just need to keep trying it.

Are there any recommendations for a beginners as far as smoothness, or do I already have it covered?

I'm tired of mooks picking on me about my Crown and Cokes.

DL

Well, if it's smoothness you're after, you could always try the 2006 George T. Stagg 140.6 proof, if you can get and afford a bottle. If you're looking inexpensive, try Eagle Rare 10, or Baker's. To tell you the truth, Booker's is smoother than ever, but it's being released at a slightly younger age, and lower proof, which has affected the body and flavor in ways I don't care for. Also, try the Old Forester 2006 and 2007 Birthday Bourbons, or the Four Roses Single Barrel. The others in that line might be nice too, but I've never had them. The two you mentioned are fine as well.

I would suggest trying Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Rye also. If you can afford the Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye, try that as well. Good rye is smooth, with a little spiciness, somewhat candy-like. Great rye is complex, spicy and full of candy-like flavors.

Fighting Cock is 103 proof, very inexpensive and smooth, nice flavor. As I think of more, I'll try to remember to come back here with them. Most of my Top 25 is no longer in production, too hard to get, or too high priced, so I'm having to go down the list of the 60+ other bourbons I've tried in my mind.

Bloofington,

Maybe "smoothness" wasn't the word I should have used. I quess the least "potent" for a beginner. I aopolgize for my lack of terminology. I think what I mean is something that won't turn me away. I know that all comes to my tastes and what i can handle, but if you had to recommend a moderate to mid priced bourbon, blend, single malt, or rye (again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge), what would it be.

As said, I bought a bottle of Sheep Dip per a friends recommendation but have yet to try it.

DL

Bloofington said:
Fighting Cock is 103 proof, very inexpensive and smooth, nice flavor. As I think of more, I'll try to remember to come back here with them. Most of my Top 25 is no longer in production, too hard to get, or too high priced, so I'm having to go down the list of the 60+ other bourbons I've tried in my mind.

That's a great idea, Bloof! What about a top 20 of bourbons that are not hard to find?

Well, again, some of the ones I mentioned above would be a good start. Eagle Rare 10 is easy to find, cheap and 90 proof. The Old Forester Birthday Bourbons are mid-range in price, and the 2006 is only 96 proof, with the 2007 being 94 proof. Corner Creek Reserve isn't too hard to find, and 88 proof, but you really won't taste the 103 proof in Fighting Cock if you go for that. The Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Rye is only 90 proof, and the Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon is 100 proof. Bourbon below 90 proof is rare, and anything less than 100 proof is actually considered low for bourbon.

Ya know Bloof I picked up some of the Fighting Cock and really enjoyed it. However some of the, cough, cough, bourbon snobs around here made fun of me for drinking it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Bloofy!

What was your take on the original Russell's Reserve 101???

:?:

It's still No. 25 on my Top 25, and that's out of about 87 or 88 bourbons tried. Fantastic stuff. Too bad it's not around anymore, but if you can find a dusty bottle on a shelf somewhere, I'd even pay up to $45, although while it was around, I never paid more than about $28, and it was usually lower.

Yo, Dustin. A good one to try that won't break the bank is Knob Creek. Da Bloof has (or had, maybe it's still there) it on his top 25 list and it's pretty good for a reasonable-priced sourmash. Even better, I prefer Baker's - also on his top 25 list.

My favorite treat - at least until I feel I can afford to try some of his choices that are a little more expensive - is to take a cigar and a fairly large snifter of Baker's out on the patio after dinner.

Either of those two (and a lot of others, too) are great for sipping straight but drinking 'em on the rocks smooths everything out really nicely too.

I've had a few unpleasant surprises with single-barrel bourbons so I stay away from those. Small-batch bourbons - which I believe Baker's, Booker's, and Knob Creek all qualify as - are a worthwhile libation - IMHO.

Marty

I have been drinking Elijah Craig.

I am sure it is not the best but I have been really enjoying it.

Unless it cost you at least 45-50 bucks, it was probably the 12 year old. Interestingly, I've always included the 12 year old in my best bang for the buck category, but I hate the 18 year old.