need help starting!

Joined Mar 2007
5 Posts | 0+
Latham, NY
Hello everyone! My names Jared and im from Albany, NY. been poking around for a while, and decided to sign up and finally post!

I turn the big 18 on the 30th, and am looking to start collecting cigars, and join this great hobby that my grandfather used to enjoy, and fine gents like yourselves enojoy and have a few questions before i get started :).

What are some good cigars to start out with?

How long do I age them for usually?

How big of a Humidor should I get?

Tips and Tricks appreciated :) :D

Jared

Welcome to the forum, all these subjects have been talked about recently. Try the search feature

thanks barco!

ive tried searching, and i never seem to find the answers im looking for :(

One question: Do you already smoke cigars and know that you enjoy them? Yes, I took note of your age, but it's still a legitimate question.

If you do not already smoke cigars, I would suggest that you don't purchase any humidor just yet. Simply walk into your local cigar stores and pick the one or two that you like best. Take note that they place emphasis on cigars and not other tobacco products or merchandise. Discount cigarette stores, for instance, make for terrible cigar retailers in my experience.

Once you find an establishment to your liking, get to know the proprietor or manager. Tell him exactly what your situation is: Your experience level, budget, number of cigars per week, taste preference, etc. Let him guide your selections until you gradually find yourself able to successfully (correct more often than wrong) make such informed choices on your own.

Use matches at first. Or a cheap butane lighter. A tupperware container with a simple humidification device. Or just smoke them as you purchase them.

I strongly suggest keeping your initial foray into this hobby as simple and as cheap as possible. For very important reasons. You may find that you really don't care for cigars after all. If you truly do enjoy cigars, you will gradually learn more about them and their accessories and may regret initial expensive accessory purchases that are no longer to your liking. You will also stumble onto the occasional "deal" during your cigar journey. No need to pay top dollar for every purchase you will encounter.

I hope you find this of good advice. Enjoy your experience.

badhangover said:
A tupperware container with a simple humidification device. Or just smoke them as you purchase them.
I totally agree. Hold off on buying a humidor. I bought a 30 count. Then, a 50 count. Then, switched to a coolidor. Then. . .

You see where I'm going? Save your money until you know, for sure, you're hooked like the rest of us.

Welcome to the wonderful, expensive, world of cigars.

Good times. Good times.

Its also a good idea to frequently send me cigars.

bad - yes i already do, but of course, the crappy gas station cigars that plagues us until we turn 18 :(

brenda - Thanks! yea, i was looking at starting with a 50 -100 count.

elidog - haha, as long as you send me some.

Kazz brother, you have come to the right place to learn.

I agree with all the others here, just start slowly, and develop your palate by trying different kinds of cigars.

Give it a little time, and then don't be afraid to jump into the PIF thread. Keep hanging here, and you will be surprised at what might turn up in the mail........

Best wishes, and welcome here!

what BADHANGOVER said was true. every last word.

if you find you really dont like to smoke cigars, it is
a 99.9% chance you will NOT continue to collect!!
[and they are a beautiful art unto themselves] but
most wont collect a smoke or beverage they dont
like.

my addition to what was said is get with a smoker
or two who have been into cigars for a long time and
know whats going on.

a cigar is NOT a cigarette!! you dont just jam a hot
flame on them and start sucking.(Removed By Cigar Staff)
there are several little things that go a long way as to
how the cigar will taste and smoke like lighting and
the speed at which cigars are smoked, the ash, etc....

these "small" things can enhance the experiance or
even ruin it!!

you suck up a bunch of butane or harsh flame or sulphur
or acrid black smoke up your 8.00 stick and you will be
saying "is this what these high end things taste like?

forget it!!!

get with a REAL cigar guy and learn how treat these
beautiful ladies!!! 8)

Most of this has already been stated in this thread, but as a fellow new-guy, I'll give you my take as well.

As for size of humidor, this is personal preference. I guess it really comes down to how often you honestly believe you'll smoke. For me, I got a small 25 count desktop humidor. I keep about 8-10 smokes in there at any given time. I really do not understand these guys that stock pile 400 cigars in their house. But you must take into account the expansion factor, anyone that's bought a humidor says to say the same things as anyone that's bought an aquarium ("i started small, and kept buying bigger and bigger, and would have saved a bunch if i just went big at the start"). But again, gage it to how often you're really going to smoke. If you smoke 1 a week, do you really think you need to store 150 of them? Let the shop worry about that.

Aging is another thing that everyone will give you a different answer on. If it's coming from a shop with a walk in humidor, I'll buy it the day I smoke it. If it's coming mail order or something, the common theme on the boards seems to be to stick it in the humidor for 10-14 days to let it get its humidity set to your levels. Again, until you're really into things and know what you're doing, you probably won't be aging the proper sticks in the proper way anyways, so why bother with the space and expense? You'll figure it out in time.

Whoever said to find a shop and talk to the owner, I think is on the money. I'm lucky enough to have a grocery store near me with a walk in humidor and a few knowledgeable people behind the counter. Head in, tell them what you like/don't like, experiences you've had, and they'll steer you in the right direction. And if they don't, at least you can blame someone other than yourself :D

In the army, we have a saying about "eyes and ears open, mouth shut" - that's what I do on the forum. If I have a pressing question, I use the knowledge that's here, otherwise, you'll learn a ton just by stopping in every day or two and seeing what other people's experiences are and have been, and learning from their successes and failures.

Welcome to the club!

Corry Dee said:
As for size of humidor, this is personal preference. I guess it really comes down to how often you honestly believe you'll smoke. For me, I got a small 25 count desktop humidor. I keep about 8-10 smokes in there at any given time. I really do not understand these guys that stock pile 400 cigars in their house.]

Here is one I want to dispute. Ok I am not saying you need to have 400,(only really 16 boxes) but it is nice to keep a few because the cigar you smoke is going to change with you mood and situation. What you buy in the Morning may not be what you want to smoke in the afternoon. I smoke maybe two to three cigars a week but I keep a lot more on hand then that. It is cheaper to buy in box quantity than anything else. so Why let the store hold onto a cigar you are going to buy anyways? you will have a better tasting cigar if you do the storage.

That being said I would not buy a cabinet humidor if you are not sure this is for you.

corry Dee said:
Aging is another thing that everyone will give you a different answer on. If it's coming from a shop with a walk in humidor, I'll buy it the day I smoke it.

I think this is the one that you need to be more careful with than anything. Most shops keep there RH quite high because of the opening of the door all the time. if you put fire to a overhumidified cigar you run the risk of the wrapper splitting. I would buy one month for what I smoked the next. you should let a cigar sit in your humidor for at least 30 days.

Although he is a clown, my rainbow haired friend brings up a few good points. When I was starting out I only smoked a few times a month - as my love of cigars inicreased I found that I smoked more frequently. I now have 3 desktops and a cabinet - because I purchased too soon and didn't wait until I really knew where it was going (sort of like my posts). To be able to store boxes is great; the difference between the same cigar bought in a cigar shop and one that you have let sit in your humidor is amazing.

Another thing you may find (you may not but if you stick around it is probable) is that we do alot of exchanging here on the forum. Birthdays, PIF's, Trades, Box Passes and Contests. You may see that you want some extra stock just for that. If you read through the threads you will see the uniqueness of this forum and everyone's generosity.

I believe the humidity in the private shops is too high! That is just my preference - yours may be different - I keep mine pretty low - 63% is my usual. I like the way they smoke when they are a bit drier.

I think the one common thing you will see in all of our threads is to take your time and don't rush it. If you become as passionate as we are it will all come to you.

Oh and beware of clowns.

I agree with Chris on this topic for several reasons. I like to get in on the weekly deals at C.Com and as such need to store more cigars. The type of cigar and size of the cigar I smoke depends on many variables (time of day, mood, time available to smoke, what I am drinking, etc.) and as such need to store more cigars. One month storage before smoking is a minimum IMHO, many smokers like to store them for at least a year to get the maximum burn and taste out of the cigar. My fridgedor right now has approximately 500 cigars. During golf season I will go through 15-20 cigars a week so I need to store up during the winter. During the winter I might smoke 2 cigars a month if I am lucky. Some of us like to have collector cigars that we may or may not smoke in the near future.

To the new guy who started this thread, do not follow my advice follow badhangover's and smartash’s advice and after several years grow into what we have become, evil, evil, evil but happy people.

Don - smoking cigars on the golf course? I may have to try that someday on the rare occasion I go golfing. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Golfcigarjunkie...
15-20 cigars a week during golfing? Geez man, how many rounds do you play a week? I can get no more than 4 cigars (depending on size) in 1 round. Usually just 2-3 on average.