New brands and cigars

Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts | 0+
Vermont
Just looking for some new brands to check out and sticks to smoke. I have smoked a fair amount of different brands. I like medium to full smokes no mild. Just looking for some recommendation.

Ewon,

Welcome to the forum. There are many wonderful medium to full cigars out there. For me, I prefer full. I like La Flor Dominicanas, Illusiones, Perdomos, and La Aroma de Cubas. I recommend to keep smoking as many different brands as you can, and take notes on the ones that you like. Next time you go to the B&M, you'll know more of what you like and what to ask for. Your local tobacconist will be able to give good recommendations as well.

Regards,

DL

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a flavor lover and tend to not appreciate the full bodied group. One strong smoke I had recently was an Obsidian and then there was that Cain Nub. Cain should be mostly full bodied and so should the Diesel brand. Other big names, such as Gurkha, Perdomo, Rocky Patel, Torano, 5 Vegas and others have selections that include various strengths. If you need to know before you buy, most descriptions in CI's big list of brands will tell the strength of the cigars - http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/build/biglistDisp.asp

Benson and Hedges, there is a quality cigar for you. Try branching out to the Premium Hand Rolled cigar - its a world of difference.

Has anyone had the Punisher? It tastes like they put hot sauce on the tobacco. Very offensive IMO!¡!

Stealth,

I've not heard or that. Hot sauce, really??? Sounds horrible.

DL

Sounds like something to put on my do not buy list- I may still be suffering from those awful 2 Gran Habano Azteca fuerte sticks I had a week or so ago. No hot pepper- just awful.

Pinar Del Rio has come forth with a few new brands/varieties. Flores Y Rodriguez in the habano or maduro robusto is a great cigar. They also have a Pinar Del Rio Small batch black corojo robusto which is pretty good- also comes in a toro which I have but have not yet tried. I think they also make Obsidian, which is a pretty strong cigar that I have smoked. I have yet to try the Obsidian white noise variety.

t punisher is just a piece of CRAP, my lip hurt for 2 days after I smoked one, I just didn't have the heart to toss it , as I had had 3 or 4 weeee drams & got kind of a macho taste for the hot sauce , but had I been sober & able to get up & had a second cigar to fall back on I would have tossed it asap, but since I was NOT able to stand up at the time & had smoked everything in my 3 finger tube , I stuck it out & finished it, ,,,, if some one offered me one , I would Pass.

Ashton VSG/ESG, CAO Brazilia, Davidoff Nicaragua, Don Lino, Aging Room, La Aroma De Cuba, Torano Vault (A-008 Blend). These are all on the more expensive side. But to me they're all worth the money to try.

Ashton VSG/ESG, CAO Brazilia, Davidoff Nicaragua, Don Lino, Aging Room, La Aroma De Cuba, Torano Vault (A-008 Blend). These are all on the more expensive side. But to me they're all worth the money to try.

Didn't care for the Torano Vault (I believe the same blend) and I'm not a Don Lino fan (their best IMHO is their NUB size Africa). Still looking for a great price on the rest of your list-most actively on the Ashtons.

For a technical "Full-Bodied" the Don Lino was not the greatest. It was smooth and one flavor, but idk some people like that. As for the VSG's the best price I can find is $51 for 5 from www.famous-smoke.com(This is actually a locally owned shop. But they have an online site. They take care of their gars in a priceless humidor. Ive been to it a couple times.) As for the ESG's HA get out the checkbook! 5 pack for $95! IMHO its not worth that much.

Surprising to hear Don Lino as a full-bodied cigar. At most I would call them medium and I agree they have little in the way of flavor. The only one I found with any promise of flavor was the Don Lino Africa Gordito robusto. It's the only one of the Africa line that I have tried, so I might try another of the smaller Africa line. The 1989's have shown no promise in the three sizes I've smoked. I'm still looking for a good buy on Ashtons, so I have yet to try them. My wallet would only allow an occasional one if I was to find them worth the price. I'm pretty happy with several cigars in the $ 1-3 range that I've tried.

Last edited:
Just got a new JR catalog and they have a new cigar called Brick & Mortar which they say was once only available at tobacco shops. Bundles of 20 go for $ 47.50 to 62.00 and there is a Honduran and a Dominican variety. Anybody ever had one ?

i have used from 6 years "Capstan". It's flavor is very good for me. i like it. i have not found new brand cigar like as "Capstan". So it also my new brand alltime.