New humi funtion

Joined Apr 2005
3K Posts | 0+
Machias Maine
Well to much time on my hands a soldering gun a few spare parts and a peltier element and I have almost completed my new accessory. I am almost done with the colling/heating system for my humi. For those unfamiliar with a peltier element they are a small electric element that when used with a couple heat sinks can cool a small fridge many wine fridges use them as do those neat coolers you plug into your car lighter. They also have a use that is not widely used they can cool BUT if you reverse the polarity on the peltier element itself then it will heat. This way I will be able to use it in the summer for colling and keeping the humi at the desired temp and in the winter I can flip a switch and heat the humi to the desired temp.

The elements can be had for anywhere from 25 to a couple hundred bucks. most are 12vdc but there are some 110 volt. You will also need two heat sinks one for the inside of the humi and one for the outside with the peltier element in between with a dab of heat transfer paste on both sides of the element. then you need two fans one for inside and one for outside. both very close or mounted to the heat sinks. and then last but not least a thermostat. That is the part I am working on now I am thinking of using a din or smaller size that I could fit in the hole the hygrometer was mounted. Will post pics when I get this thing a little closer to done.

Why not run a brewers thermostat to the unit itself (assuming you are doing an AC setup)?

Even though I purchased a Winecooler, I wanted it to stay at a constant 70 degrees (instead of the 65-63 the cooler wanted to stay at). I picked up an awesome unit that can switch for both heating or cooling. Just plug it inline with the wall outlet and fridge and bingo - 70 degress - rock solid.

AC or DC don't matter you can just use a relay. I want a particular type/size so it will mount in the hole already in the front of my humi. a temp control will work both for heating and cooling. A temp control and a thermostat are not the same thing.

I went over to the shop this am and butchered a thermostat from a GE fridge. I got it set up in a box I am going to mount on the back of the humi. Had it running this am and it seems to be working 100 percent. No I just have to mount it.