New Humi Reeks of Cedar - Help!

Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts | 0+
Louisiana
Hello, all!

So, I ordered my first humidor (25ct) from an online dealer (not Cigar.com) 2 weeks ago with Aromatic Spanish Cedar Lining before I discovered this forum. I received it today and when I opened it, the smell from the cedar was overwhelming. I've read a lot of the posts concerning humidor conditioning, etc., which were all very helpful by the way, but did not see this addressed.

I have left it open for a couple of hours now in an attempt to air it out, and have only succeeded in making my bedroom smell like cedar. :?

Is there any way to get rid of or dampen the smell? Is this normal? Could this be detrimental to my cigars? Can this be fixed?

Freshly cut wood usually gives off a strong odor. Spanish Cedar is very aromatic. If your Humi is newly constructed it will give off a strong scent. Spanish Cedar is a favorable influencing scent associated with Cigars, so the is no problem in that regard. Just make sure you read the above sticky "I got a new Humidor....." to break it in properly and you shouldn't have any problems. Good Luck!