New humi with gaps

Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts | 0+
Sierra Nevada Mountains, CA
Hi all, I just got a new three drawer humi. I noticed there is a small (about 1/8 inch) gap between the top and bottom of each drawer, allowing one to actually see into the humi. Obviously this is not a well sealed unit. Otherwise it is very well made and was fairly expensive. Is this something I should be concerned about and return it, or will my smokes still be ok with close monitoring? I am just not sure how important it is to have the humi air tight, or close to air tight. Thanks for any advice about this!! :lol:

Well, you are trying to create a separate environment inside the confines of the humidor, so a proper seal is imperative.
You may be able to add a weatherstrip of some sort to fill that gap. Other folks have had success with that method. Wait a bit and see what other replies you get, some of those folks will surely chime in...

an 1/8 gap?

Send it back in a hurry. it will be a bear trying to keep that proper.

Yup, send it back. That will suck to try to humidify...if it can even be done.

Barcochris said:
an 1/8 gap?

Send it back in a hurry. it will be a bear trying to keep that proper.

Agreed. A small hairline gap, maybe---Not a 1/8" though.

Ok, I actually went and measured, and it's more like a 1/16th gap. Still, That does seem ridiculus. I guess I should send it back and get a standard open from the top kind. :cry: I just really like the three drawers. Thanks for the replies!

There was a company that made a really nice three drawer humidor that had a glass door on it IIRC. I think it was Savoy, but I can't remember and couldn't find it when I just did a quick search.

IIRC, it had three drawers, and a glass front that had a wood frame that came down in the middle at the top for an analog hygro. Maybe somebody else remembers who made them. They were/are a fairly popular humidor.