New to cigars

Ok so this morning I checked on my humidor, the digital guage read 70deg. and a 71%rh
pretty good right?
Now I looked at it this afternoon and it is reading 74deg and 72%rh. is this ok or should I be concerned?

Ok so this morning I checked on my humidor, the digital guage read 70deg. and a 71%rh
pretty good right?
Now I looked at it this afternoon and it is reading 74deg and 72%rh. is this ok or should I be concerned?

AHAHAHHAAHA....they are going to explode!!!

:bolt:

Just kidding :)
Its just fluctuating with the temp of the room
I like mine on the dry side so I try to roll with 65 Humidity.
The fridgadores typically hold between 68 and 72 degrees, but there is nothing I can do about temp...

AHAHAHHAAHA....they are going to explode!!!

:bolt:

Just kidding :)
Its just fluctuating with the temp of the room
I like mine on the dry side so I try to roll with 65 Humidity.
The fridgadores typically hold between 68 and 72 degrees, but there is nothing I can do about temp...

Haha....nice !
The temp in the house during the day is a constant 71 degrees due to the central air, so I was kind of surprised to see the temp in the humidor at 74 degrees. Should I try to lower the humidity a little bit or just let it be and see how it goes over the next few days. I just don't want to ruin the cigars.

Haha....nice !
The temp in the house during the day is a constant 71 degrees due to the central air, so I was kind of surprised to see the temp in the humidor at 74 degrees. Should I try to lower the humidity a little bit or just let it be and see how it goes over the next few days. I just don't want to ruin the cigars.

This is a new humidor right?

your fine then.. youw ill see the humidity drop just from the wood sucking in the moisture.. but honestly smoke one where it is at, then drop it down to 65 and smoke another one.. see where you like it better.. I am with connor.. 65 is much better then 70

Yes it is

Make sure not to put the sticks in to soon.
I have always heard it needs to be able to stand on its own for a few days before you add smokes to it.

To be honest, some people act like its a huge science to it...they actually take care of themselves if you keep some beads in there and check them every few weeks.

Just dont accept any cigars from Dustin...he has bettles!

Thanks, Ill keep an eye on it but let it run it's coarse and see what happens. I don't want to get obsessed with the humidor, I just don't want to ruin any cigars.

Oh and what are you using for humidity?

I'm just using the rectangle humidification element that came with the humidor right now. I was thinking about picking up some HUMI-CARE and putting that in there instead, but I wanted to see how this went first.

Why do you have beetles in your shorts?
Just correcting Connor.
I'm just using the rectangle humidification element that came with the humidor right now. I was thinking about picking up some HUMI-CARE and putting that in there instead, but I wanted to see how this went first.
Go to www.cigarmony.com and read about RH beads. That is what most of us use.

DL

Well the whole temperature thing in my humidor was really aggravating me. I couldn't figure out why it was always 4 or 5 degrees warmer in my humidor that it was in my house with the central air going.
Come to find out after a little experimenting the thermometer in the digital hygrometer is off by 4 degrees, it always reads 4 degrees higher than the actual temperature. So now after figuring this out, my humidor is actually holding steady at about 70 degrees 70% humidity during the day, and a little lower than that at night when the house cools down some more.
Now I feel better... oh ya and on my way home today I picked up a Don Pepin Garcia Blue to start the weekend off with tomorrow !:D

Never had a Garcia Blue, make sure you give us a review. I always like to buy 2 of everything, that way I for sure give at least 1 a nice rest in my humi so it is at my specs!

Well the whole temperature thing in my humidor was really aggravating me. I couldn't figure out why it was always 4 or 5 degrees warmer in my humidor that it was in my house with the central air going.
Come to find out after a little experimenting the thermometer in the digital hygrometer is off by 4 degrees, it always reads 4 degrees higher than the actual temperature. So now after figuring this out, my humidor is actually holding steady at about 70 degrees 70% humidity during the day, and a little lower than that at night when the house cools down some more.
Now I feel better... oh ya and on my way home today I picked up a Don Pepin Garcia Blue to start the weekend off with tomorrow !:D

Glad its all working out!

Let usk nowq how you like the DPG Blue. I'm not a big fan of DPG myself, but of all his blends I enjoy the black the best.

Glad its all working out!

Let usk nowq how you like the DPG Blue. I'm not a big fan of DPG myself, but of all his blends I enjoy the black the best.

I will let you all know what I think of it. Tomorrow nights agenda consists of a fire in the pit, a cold drink and that cigar.

Don Pepin Garcia Blue

Ok, so I finally got the chance to sit down by the fire out back and try this cigar. Please remember I'm new to this, so I'm just going to describe it the best I can.
It lit nice and even, the draw was a lot looser than I expected. I had to draw off it more often than I thought I should have (about every 40 seconds or so) because it seemed like it would go out if i didn't.
It had very strong peppery flavor at first which I expected, then about 1" in it became very smooth which I liked. This lasted through the first 3rd of the cigar, then it became peppery / leathery which was very interesting. This went on for most of the smoke. I smoked it for a little over an hour. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I don't think I'd smoke another one any time soon. I felt rushed while smoking it because of the feeling like it wanted to go out, that could be part of the reason I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped to.