New to the pipe

Joined Oct 2003
101 Posts | 0+
MS
Hello.
I recently, upon turning 18, picked up the pipe. Around here where I live, I am mostly limited to drugstore blends and pipes. I have a collection of cheapo Dr. Grabows and corncobbs. I like them fine but am looking to move up to something better. Can anyone reccomend a nice brand of pipe that doesn't cost too much(<$150? And also any suggestions regarding tobbacos would be greatly appriciated. I have tried every drug store tobacco from the Walgreens big bags to things like Captain Black and Carter Hall. The only higher end blends I've tried are Penzance and Macbaren Vanilla Creme and l liked both very much.

Hello cannon54 and welcome to the EOTAC forums and the world of pipes and tobacco. There are some others around here with more experience and expertise (and money) than me but I'll point you to PipesandCigars.com. I have had good luck with the Bjarne and Peterson pipes myself. They can be had in the $50-$70 range. Check out some of their tobacco samplers or give them a call and tell them what you like and don't like.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more advice but for now good luck!

Thanks for the advice on the pipes. I'll look in to them tonight. I know all about pipesandcigars.com. They got me started on cigar smoking. I'm looking into the pipe not only because I enjoy it, but it is much more affordable than cigars. I can get a pound of good pipe tobacco that will last a long time for about half the cost of a month's cigar supply.

cannon54 said:
Thanks for the advice on the pipes. I'll look in to them tonight. I know all about pipesandcigars.com. They got me started on cigar smoking. I'm looking into the pipe not only because I enjoy it, but it is much more affordable than cigars. I can get a pound of good pipe tobacco that will last a long time for about half the cost of a month's cigar supply.

I pretty much buy all my pipe baccy on line.

I went out today and purchased a Stanwell Golden Danish #179 pipe. I paid a little more and bought it locally so I could pick it out in person. I got my order of tobacco from PipesandCigars yesterday and I chose to break in the new pipe with Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. I love both the tobacco and the pipe. It seems there is a world of difference between my drugstore pipes and this one. I can't wait until I can afford another. But that will probably be after I join the Army, and get done with basic, if I pass my physical. (Just a little worried about that.) Thanks for the suggestions though. The folks on this forum helped me learn to reload, and I figured I might could gain a little bit of knowledge in this field from here too.

Congrats on the new Stanwell. That is a great choice.

As far as the Squadron Leader, you will be hard pressed to find a better traditional English blend. Pretty decent nicotine level too!