newb question cellophane sticks in humi

Joined Jan 2008
13 Posts | 0+
out in the sticks w/ my sticks
i purchased a humi and 30 or so single sticks. should i keep the cigars in their cellophane wrapper inside the humi or should i remove the cellophane wrapper when i put them in the humidor? oh, i have salt calibrated my hydrometer and seasoned my humidor to a stable 68-72 rh

I personally leave the cello. It is really a matter of choice. As for your RH really try and keep it at under 70, most people seem to get more joy out of thier sticks at around 65.

cool, thanks. yeah, as ive been nosing around the forum, i notice most folks say 65-67 rh. i am using the green spongy thing that came with the humi (the stuff looks like that crap florists poke crap in to keep it alive longer) and some "water pillows" that came with the cigars on the bottom (its a 50 cigar humi with a removable top shelf) i took out all but one water pillow to see if the rh drops a bit. (i put the pillow on the bottom in hopes of having a more uniform rh) as for the cello, any pros and cons?

I used to take it off because I liked the look, plus some say stix age better with the cello off. But I found over time if you plan on keeping stix for aging the cello really protects the wrapper. I now leave the cello on all my stix because I had a few get damaged wrappers when there was no cello on them. It is up to you though, IMHO I prefer the wrapper not get damaged.

makes sense thanks. It also seems, but this is just a hypothesis, that leaving the cello on would protect against humidity drop in the stix if you had to leave your humi open to sort or rotate your stix. thanks again

That correct...the cellophane will act as a microecosystem during exposure to different rh changes for a short period of time.

Also keep in mind, although it is a clear plastic, cellophane is permeable... the humidity will work its way inside it. I used to struggle with this very question, but i do indeed keep my cello on now.

Also, cellophane gives a good aged cigar it's ability to communicate with you that its ready. Cigars that don't move will form bloom on it, which can be seen on the cello if it gets rubbed off. Sometimes cello will "yellow" telling you that the cigar has been aged long enough.

To me...there are more pros than cons for leaving it on...I keep mine on now...and the above mention of lowering your rh is key...I keep my thicker ring gauge smokes 63-65, and most my other smokes 65-68.

awesome, thanks everyone )