NJsmokey's Cigar Reviews

Joined Aug 2007
637 Posts | 0+
I smoked IMHO the best cigar I ever had last night. It has moved me to start posting my reviews as a record for myself and to get others feed back. I am still a newb as far as I am concerned so my reviews will change as I go along but I am going to start with the stick I had last night a Ashton VSG Robusto. Plese feel free to leave feed back. What I have learned here in the last few months has truely raised my cigar experience to a whole new level.

Cigar: Ashton VSG
Size: Robusto 5.5" x 50
In Humi: 1 Month recieved sans Cello
Cut: Punch
Light: Tourch
Drink: Kona Coffe and Water
Weather: Cold it's January in NJ

Prelight:
The fresh ground coffee was brewing and I went out back to light this Christmas Cigar. I was a late celebrating of the Giants win over the Cowgirls (My super bowl). I am skeptical of a of cigar with such hype. I had an Ashton Cabinet and a AF sungrown last year and I did nto care for either, But I always like to have two of a stick before passing final judgement. I recently had my first short story so I feel the others may have just been my inexperiance with cigars at the time.

This cigar is beautifully constructed. Firm with just the slightest give, a mild box press, chocolate colored wrapper. I also find the artwork on the band very attractive wich dosen't hurt. When I sniff it I smell an entire B&M. That wonderful smell that hits me as I crest the door of cedar and well kept tobacco. I lick the cap and grab my punch. My $2 punch has trouble with the well constructed cap. I bought a cheap one to see if I would like the cut and it is now my favorite, time to buy a good cutter. The prelight draw is perfect! Not loose at all and just firm enough. I taste some cedar and dark chocolate on the prelight pull. I toast the end, take a puff or two and go inside to fix my coffee.

Burn:
I had to make just two touch ups. Now I would prefer to make none but I found that since I slowed down and truely enjoy a cigar I have to make the occasional touch up. It really was so minor it did not take away from the cigar at all. Besides that it was very even with a firm ash. I always tap off the ash every inch or so. Never liked when it falls on my lap.

Flavor/Body:
This cigar gives off tons of great smoke. It is thick and carries tons of flavor. I found the cigar stared just above med in body and quickly built into a full bodied full flavor fest. This is a very complex cigar. They only other cigar I can compare it to is a Padron 1926 Mad I had about a month ago. Biggest differance, the 26 had some harshness up front. this cigar was as smooth as the mildest smoke you could find. Harshness was not found in any part of this cigar.

Now I know people talk about thirds but that does not do this cigar justice. The flavors in this cigar came and went from puff to puff. There was alot of anticipation for me as to what I would taste next. There was a plenty of clean cedar taste that was in every part of the cigar. At times there would be some chewy earthiness, a good sweetness, a touch of pepper or dark chocolate. All of the flavors mingled toghter and seemed to take turns being the dominate flavor. Even the aroma in the air was almost floral in nature.

Conclusion:
This is IMHO the best cigar I have ever had to date. There are still alot of highend highly sought after stix for me to try but for now this cigar is king. IMHO it is worth the price. I got it for Christmas as a sampler, but I see it selling for around ten to twenty dollars a stick online. One of the B&M's I go to does carry them not sure how much though. Worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

I think this is a must try for anyone whom emjoys a good full bodied full flavor cigar. I have nothing bad to say other than I have only one left and no real room for more. I can say I now am seeing why AF cigars are so sought after. The last two smokes I have had from them (a short story and this one) have been great, each in their own respect.

Rating:
6 smoke rings -- a "classic" cigar or one destined to become a classic

Great review! It's hard not be skeptical of a "hyped" cigar, like the VSG. But it definitely is one that lives up to it well.

Cigar: San Cristobal
Size: Supremo 6" x 50
In Humi: Little Over Two Months
Drink: Fresh Ground Stong Coffe and Water
Weather: Cold it's January in NJ

Prelight:
This was my late Celebration for the Giants win over Green Bay. I have to thank two people before I begin. cmontgomery and PuFf this is from the pass that Craig gave away to me and PuFf placed it in the box, Thanks to both of you guys! This cigar is my second made by Pepin, I have had two 5 Vegas Miami PC's and I enjoyed them both so I am excited to try this one.

This cigar is well constructed it has a nice triple cap and is firm to the touch. The wrapper is oily with some veins and the band has nice artwork. It smells very strongly of cedar and spice. I lick the cap and use my punch. The draw is nice a little towards the loose side. The taste is of earth and dark choclate. I toast the end and the first few puffs have loads of spice reminds me of the miami's I have had. I go inside and fix my coffee.

Burn:
The burn was pretty good. During the second third it was a little uneven and I did have to touch it up few times. There seemed to be a small soft spot that burned fast and was tight across from it. Once it was past this point it corrected itself. It did take away from my enjoyment for a few minutes but over all it woulnd't stop me from having a few more as long as it is not an issue every time.

Flavor/Body:
The Flavor started out like an explosion! Just after lighting this cigar was dominated by spice for the first inch or so then it settled down. Then earth, cedar and dark chocolate came out and the spice took a back seat. Around the second third when I had burn issues the cigar lost a little body, the cigar was dominated by cedar and earth during this third. I was only able to smoke part of the final third due to A) the cold and B) Dinner time. I got a late start because of some company and I had to cut this stick a little short. When the burn corrected itself the spice came back into the picture. This part of the cigar seemed to be the most complex. All of the flavors coming in and out with the spice being the most dominate.

Conclusion:
This was a pretty good cigar. The burn issues did bother me for a short time, I am taking a little off for the burn issue but if the other one I have is the same without the burn issue I will bump it up. The other one is from Christmas and is 7"x48, I am curious to see how different it is. The cigar had good flavor and complexity for the price I would prefer a VSG but still a good stick. And Since I like to have variety I would still consider a box when I get my cabinet.

4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

I would give it a half ring if they where part of the rating system but without the burn issue it would have been a 5.

Your review of the VSG was spot on.
IMHO that is one of the best smokes on the market.
Lots of smoke, almost felt like it had a cool burn to it. My lips and fingers never felt "hot." (Not sure if that made sence.)
Lots of cedar and earthiness to it. Like you said, it changed almost with every puff, but i felt one big change about 2/3 through it.
The paper thin wrapper was beautiful and it was just the right amount of full body to make you feel the cigar, but not be hurt by it.
1 million smoke rings, yes. (sorry i just got caught up with American Idol)

Cigar: Arturo Fuente OpusX
Size: XXX 4.6 x 48
In Humi: About 3 Months
Cut: Xikar
Drink: Ice Water
Weather: Cool with a slight breeze

Prelight:
This is my first Opus X! I do have one more of these in the humi but since I am thinking about trying to get some more I decided to see if I even liked it.

This cigar is beautifully constructed. It is firm with almost no give, and the wrapper prestine and oily. I also find the artwork on the band very attractive wich dosen't hurt. A prelight smell is that of mainly cedar. I grab my xikar xi cutter and without even licking the cigar it is a perfect clean cut. This cigar is well packed but does not look overly stuffed. The prelight draw is perfect! Not loose at all and just firm enough. I taste some earth, cedar and a littel spice on the prelight pull. I toast the end and prepare for the first puff. I take my first puff and wow! The amount of thick smoke is amazing, I feel as if someone slapped me in face with the explosion of flavor. There is tons flavor with a large dose of spice

Burn:
The burn is near perfect. I have read that the wrappers a thick and sometimes pose an issue. Well this cigar is young and with more time to rest it may help. Secondly I smoked this cigar very slowly due to it's strength. The burn issues were in fact so small it did not even hurt my enjoyment of this stick. Finally the burn was so slow that this stick burned for well over an hour. I did nub it but for such a short cigar I would have put it right around an hour when in fact it was closer to an hour and a half.

Flavor/Body:
As I already said up front this cigar is like an explosion in your mouth. Just after lighting as it begins to settle I can pick out the leather with a ton of spice and a slight earthiness. At almost an inch in the leather takes a step forward and the spice is now that of pepper. Either white or red pepper flakes, I have heard it described both ways and either would do. What is most noticeable at this point is the buzz. I have not felt this much of a buzz from a cigar in a long time. This cigar is truely a powerhouse but is refined and dosen't really show any harshness. While nearing the 2 inch mark the cigar mellows out just a bit. It is still the strongest cigar I have ever had but now the flavos are able to fade in and out more instead of all fighting to be top dog. Around the 2 and a half inch point the earth flavors take more of a foot hold and step to the front. I did nub this cigar and in the last inch it stayed very cool but built in power with each puff until it was back to where it started when I lit it. It seemed to be more complex the closer I got to finishing it!

Conclusion:
I have now confirmed that with a littel education from this site on how to properly smoke a cigar I am now a fan of Fuente cigars. The first two cigars I had by them years ago turned me off but I now know that I was not ready. I was new to cigars, so I had not developed a taste for them as well as not knowing how to properly smoke a cigar at that point. I still feel a VSG is my favorite stick to date. I did enjoyed this cigar throughly, I want that to be clear. This is truely a well balanced phenominal cigar. It is something I want to have a few off in my humi to rest for just the right occasion. You have to be in the mood for a really, I mean really strong cigar. Luckly last night thats what I was looking for. I do plan on getting my hands on as many of these as I can so that I can have some rest. I feel this will be an even better cigar with rest on it. The cigar was very complex, smooth, balanced, at times creamy and just all around well constructed. I see why these cigars don't stay in stock long. An everyday cigar this is not, one to be enjoyed and savored on special occasions it is. I would love to land a box to age for special occasions. This is a must try once your ready, not for begginers though, something to be worked towards.

Rating:
6 smoke rings -- a "classic" cigar or one destined to become a classic

Outstanding review! Having smoked one last night, my review would have been similar to yours, though probably much less detailed or eloquent. And I agree on the power. With a year of age, I figured I could get away with a light, early dinner and smoke this thing late in the evening. It smacked me around pretty good! One thing that always surprises me is that I get just a little sweetness on the prelight as well. When I compare this to the pepper I get on the actual burn, it's really strange.

NJsmokey said:
What is most noticeable at this point is the buzz. I have not felt this much of a buzz from a cigar in a long time. This cigar is truely a powerhouse but is refined and dosen't really show any harshness.

the OpusX xXx isnt called "power ranger" for nothin!!

Ah now it all so clear! :shocked:

I always wondered why it was called that.

It's been awhile but I have been super busy. Well this is what I got!

Cigar: Padron 64
Size: Monarca Nat # 661734, 6.5” x 46
In Humi: About two Months
Drink: Tanz Peaberry and Water
Weather: Cold and Breezy (3/29/08)

Prelight:
This stick has a nice appearance, it is well constructed with a nice box press. There is a wonderful tobacco smell to it. I use my punch with little effort and take a test draw. It is a little loose for me. I get a clean tobacco taste with some sweetness. I toast the foot and take my first puff. I get a chocolate like sweetness that that is smooth and velvety.

Burn:
The first 1” burns razor sharp and then around 1.5” I have to touch up because I am smoking a little slow. I do have to make a second touch up around 2” even though I picked up the pace. I would expect a slightly better burn for such a quality stick, but it is my first one and I will wait to I have had a couple before saying it is a real problem.

Flavor/Body:
At first the cigar is very smooth and mellow, it is actually like smoking a mild cigar at first with a lingering finish that is quite enjoyable. But within a ¼” it starts to warm up and a slight leather flavor comes out. This whole time there is a good amount of smoke that is very velvety and coats the palate well. By an 1” in the stick is still super smooth with no trace of harshness. This stick continues to evolve as it burns. It is a mellow med bodied cigar by 2” in that evolves through a slight leather, coffee, cedar and burnt chocolate taste.

Conclusion:
It is a good medium bodied cigar with a decent amount of complex flavors. I enjoyed it very much. It was a nice mellow smoke that I would like early in the day. I would expect a bit more for the price, but I would like to try some more varieties of this line. I did have a 26 maduro once and found it much more complex and fuller in body but a little on the harsh side at first. It was a very young stick though I only had it a week or so. I enjoyed the VSG I had much better than this and it is cheaper. I have a few in the humi now and I am curious to see how different they are. Don’t get me wrong not a bad cigar, just not sure yet if they are worth the price tag.

Rating:
4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar