Old Fitzgerald 1849 Bourbon. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
Hah. Ha're U? Beautiful day, wasn't it? I hope it was where you are.

Yes, here in Noo Yawk Citeh, it's still bourbon season at night. We still have nights in the 50's lately, low 50's some times, maybe even 40's last week.

That's bourbon season.

And after not having bourbon for months, I've begun to stock up over the past couple of days. My "ship" is in, and I had to sign the check over to the firm because I can't use my own account for a while. They only just let me know today it's clear, and can begin distributions, but I've been using income from this week to stock up.

YEAH, BABEEE!!! GIMME DAT BOURBON!!! Ain' had none 'at corn based likker fer munts nao. So, along with a Four Roses Single Barrel bottle the other day, yesterday I got a bottle of Vintage 21 and . . .

Old Fitzgerald 1849, a 90 proof bourbon, and with pickings as slim as they are these days, I made sure it was 90 proof. We all remember how mad I was at Sam Houston for coming down to 85.6 proof and ditching the age statement.

No age statement on this one. Good walk out price of $18.41. I bought all three of these bottles at Warehouse Wines.

So, first bourbon in months last night, and I went for the El Cheapo, and believe me folks, $18.41 these days is El Cheapo category. I've always been curious about this one, because of the name.

First impressions were light bodied, very light bodied, but a "rough and ready" flavor profile, something that you could both drink AND put in your gas tank at the Talladega 500. Seriously, there's something motor oil/refined petroleum, perhaps even plastic tasting about some of the sips, but it's mixed with a nice basic bourbon flavor also, that caramelly thingy.

It's kind of like being with a girl like, . . .

one of those tough Brooklyn/Queens Italian chicks. Hot as hell, but they'll deck you in a minute, too.

Stay tuned. That was Bourbon No. 86 in my career. I kind of liked it.

Ready to go with the final review.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

First, here's a few facts of life, since it's my Self-Appointed Duty to go out, drink whatever bourbon/rye my fancy, instincts and wallet will take me to, and report back to you in a Fair and Balanced fashion.

(i) Forget buying booze on the internet. Buy local, because massive parent company concerns to the bottom line have caused widespread standardization of prices. I've always said Americans need to stay home more anyway. Where the heck is everybody going all the time? You won't find such great bargains on the net any more. Those days are over, at least for now. They may return, because;
(ii) I have seen certain things in my 51.66 years come and go in America, sometimes twice, even three times. For example, environmental concerns causing massive extremism, and helping other factors to tear a nation asunder, I have seen begin in the 60's, rise again in the 80's, and now enveloping us in a . . . (nother thread for other people, somewhere else.)
(iii) Shipping costs in the case of certain old favorites like Binny's have tripled or more, at least to certain regions, so again, forget internet buying, even if you do find a bargain on the net. If you have to go further than the guy down the block to pay less, preferably walk but do go there, support that local merchant. Drive if you have to, but skip internet buying for now.

So, the final review on Old Fitzgerald 1849 bourbon.

Not so rough and ready after all, but still mild and light bodied as in my first impression post. This bourbon is silky smooth, light but a respectable 90 proof, and perfectly balanced. Since the El Cheapo category has now moved up to whatever you can get a fifth of for up to the $20 mark, a "walk-out" price of not a penny more than twenty dollars, this baby, at $18.41 in NYC with tax, is a big winner.

I like this bourbon a lot, because it's the kind you can watch a bunch of your friends down a bottle of, and not care too much. It's also the kind of bourbon those of you who like an after work drink, and a drink that's always the same, will love. This bourbon is good tasting, but understandably not great, but totally inoffensive as to taste profile. Everyone will like . . .

Old Fitzgerald 1849 bourbon. Doesn't make the Top 25, not even close, but this is an every day bourbon, and something those of you with a certain number and type of liquors on hand, for your own pleasure and company, should have. It's a lot easier watching someone put his cigarette out in the last couple sips of this than a glass of Pappy's 20.