Old Williamsburg No. 20, 101 Proof, Three Year Old . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
bourbon. This was one of the two bottles I bought at my recent excursion to LeNell's in Red Hook, Brooklyn. If you haven't seen my post on LeNell's yet, it's not far from this thread. It is even better to see LeNell's than just my post about it, so if you're in NYC, or plan on visiting, make some time for that trip.

Old Williamsburg bourbon is a little known, rarely seen line of bourbons sold in 80, 101, and barrel proof versions, with the latter being at 121.5 proof. On my visit to LeNell's, as previously mentioned elsewhere, I was in search of the barrel proof version, but they were out that day.

In four or five tastings, the 101 proof version has not disappointed at all. Smooth, but with a heat not unlike that of some hot sauces, it has sweet honey, vanilla, with a touch of oak and lingering hints of rye on the palate, especially after it has sat in the glass for a while. I have no complaints about this bourbon whatsoever, and for my walk out price of $20.59 ($19+8.375% tax), it is a budget conscious bourbon drinker's dream.

It will not make my Top 25, but it competed very well for a while, falling slightly short of the list because it's just not quite complex enough, and a bit light on body, but not flavor. Just because a bourbon doesn't make my silly Top 25 list should not be viewed as a slight, because out of the 55 bourbons I've tried, this one makes it to about the top half of those. At least 40-45 of those 55 bourbons make for good drinking, with still only about six or seven that I absolutely don't wish to drink again.

Old Williamsburg No. 20, 101 proof is not one of the latter, because I certainly hope to have plenty more in the future. If the barrel proof version is not available for future purchases, I shall have no problem picking up it's 101 proof stablemate, and I suggest you try yourself a bottle as well. This is easy drinking, flavorful, classic bourbon and will satisfy sip after sip in a very uncomplicated way.