opus x prices ???

Joined Jan 2005
31 Posts | 0+
Midwest
just a question for all you guys in the know!

i recently found a shop with a very large stash of opus in about 6 different sizes. i was astounded a the extremely low prices on them. now if i didn't know the shop as very reputable; i'd ask about fakes, but that's not my concern.

i guess what i want to figure out is:

is anybody else seeing $10 - $15 prices on these individual sticks? everywhere else i've seen them have been twice as much!!!

i almost want to cash in stock to buy them all!!

The prices you are seeing are the CORRECT prices. The twice-as-much prices you're seeing elsewhere are the P.T. Barnum prices. Buy them. If you the trust the retailer, buy them!!!

Can anyone comment on the general prices and availability of these? My local shop doesn't have them, so the Cigar.com price is all I know. While looking at the write up in CA I noticed it showed a price under $10 for one of the smaller sizes.

So is this just because of short supply? Are they that good?

Mike

BossTweed, under $10 for a smaller size Opus X is entirely possible, because as I said, it's the correct price. As for whether or not they are that good, that is entirely up to YOUR taste buds. I'm not patronizing you. I think that's part of the reason why I think it's such a wonderful world. There are so many different things to taste which are all wonderful, in the realm of food, cigars, libations, etc.

When someone says what is the best cigar or what is the best bourbon, it's not relevant until THAT person decides what is best. If I tell someone about the No. 1 bourbon on my Top 25 and after tasting it they tell me it's toilet water and I must have a dirty dishrag in my mouth, what can I say? That the person is wrong? Of course not. If they don't like my favorite bourbon, then they have to go explore and see what they like.

As for the Opus X, are they made from high grade, well aged, carefully cultivated tobaccos? Yes. Are they made with great care? Yes. Do they have full body and strength in the smoke, achieving rich flavors? Yes. Will YOU like those flavors? I don't know.

I DO know this. Anyone who can get an Opus X for $10-15 or the smaller sizes for $9-10 has run into a merchant who is simply not trying to capitalize on the "Babe Ruth" or "Coca-Cola" sized reputation that this cigar has gotten in its 10 year existence. Those are the correct Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for Opus X cigars. The really big ones have an MSRP of $18-25.

The people who are buying Opus X for $25-100 are doing so because as they used to say where I grew up . . .

"they seen you comin', homes."

These guys KNOW you WILL walk out of the store with at least one because you want it that bad, or that SOMEONE will buy it at that price. So, they keep ripping people off and laughing all the way to the bank. The Fuentes do not approve of this, but they can't control every merchant from coast to coast and around the world.

I might want to put in my two cents on this one since you guys are discussing my pricing. While I am a direct fuente supplier I am not an authorized opusX account. While I dont get them directly I still sell them becuase for me they are a favorite and lots of customers ask for them. I have to buy mine of the second market for lots of $$$ and really dont make that much money on them. So the accusations that Cigar.com is ripping off anyone on these is completely false. In reality we dont make much money on these sticks but offer them in hopes that people might buy something else I do make money on during their visit.

I think I set myself up for that Bloofington! I think I was just looking for some opinions. Sometimes I have a hard time putting the CA reviews into perspective. My opinions don't always match up with theirs so it is sometimes nice to talk to others that have tried them.

I really don't know too much about them other than that they are rare/low production with the finest tobacco. The Fuente Don Carlos I had the other day was incredible... if the OpusX is "better" then I could see paying more.

As for Cigar.com; I definitely appreciate them providing the service. As I said, I hadn't seen them around in person so at least I know I have a possible source. I've also talked to them about other hard to get smokes that are not listed, and they have been very good about giving me options.

Mike

Mike-

It is better than the don carlos. In fact, it is better than anyting. Hold on I have to wipe the saliva off my key board. Now where was I? :D

"So the accusations that Cigar.com is ripping off anyone on these is completely false." - I've searched this thread and can't find such an accusation. Was it made elsewhere?

I don't know squat about cigar.com's prices or anyone else's for that matter, because I don't like the Opus X. It's too strong for me right out of the shop and I simply can't afford them either. When it comes to a Fuente, I'd rather smoke a Hemingway anyway. As far as what I've said in this thread it was about MSRP and what it's supposed to be. If anyone here or elsewhere is buying them and reselling them, then I understand that you have to do what you have to do.

Alex, if you were referencing my remarks I wasn't throwing an accusation around, because I don't know your price on Opus X. Having said that, and speaking in the most GENERAL terms, there are plenty of people operating on the premise that because it's the Opus X they can charge two to four times MSRP. I didn't mean to take a shot at anyone in particular, just stating some facts in general.

8)

now, now boys! do we need a time out!? :shock:

i just thought i might be getting a better than average deal on these opus sticks. don't mean to ruffle feathers.

i have to agree with bloof on this one(seems to be a common theme). i certainly didn't see any direct accusations or implications of the fine cigar.com site. i understand that not everybody gets these cigars at the same price. that is a given. i'm glad cigar.com caries them for those who otherwise might never see one. for those of us fortunate enough to have a dealer that gets them on a fairly regular basis; i just could't justify paying twice as much; even with my favorite internet retailer!

NOW: for those out there who have not tried one; you MUST!! they are that good indeed. if you are a mild flavor kinda guy, like Bloof, they might not be your cup 'o tea, but you've got to have ONE!!

:idea: anybody getting the #5 out there!?!?! that's one we've yet to see in & i would love to talk about an exchange!?!?!

The best Opus X I ever had was a No. 5 which I had aged for five months. It had calmed down enough so that the flavors were rich but the body was mild enough so that it didn't kick me in the head. I also made sure I had a cappuccino first to coat my stomach. I've had Opus X that were aged much longer than that and seemed to have passed their peak. In discussing this with much more dedicated and experienced Opus X smokers than I, it seems that most of them favor an Opus anywhere from straight out of the box to one year of private aging, but they seem to fall flat after that.

So, as far as smoking them, I guess no more than a month after you get it home for most of you guys. As for me, never again. I can't take getting kicked by THAT mule. :D

And all I meant was that I didn't want Alex to think I was taking a shot at his Opus X prices, just to clear that up. I don't know what his prices are. I was addressing the general issue of Opus X pricing, which is a very sensitive subject. I have known people who have paid $22 for a $9 size, for example. I have also known dedicated Opus X smokers who have gotten such dealers in trouble with the Fuentes for price gouging.

Bloof
Sorry if I jumped the gun on that. I quickly saw where I thought the conversation was going and your post could have been read one way or the other. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt though. I guess I have spent a little too much time at a special website forum in the past where a thread like this would have immediately turned into a vendor boycott and all kinds of unjustified bashing. LOL I am sure you know who I am referring to.

Anyway, the No. 5 is excellent. If you like the smaller sizes, maybe try the fuente fuente, it is a personal favorite next to the perfection x

Being a total opusx nut you might be surprised to know that 9 out of 10 of my opus sticks burn poorly. I may have to relight them several times in a sitting but man the aroma and flavor is just unbeatable. For me to have burn issues like this and still produce such an all star cigar means something. And then I get to the 2 or 3 in the box that have a great burn and then I am really in heaven.

No problem Alex, and I do know where you mean, having spent three and a half years there, :sm_angel: leaving on the morning of 11/12/2003.

Macallan, if you're not already doing so, try storing your Opus X like Cubans, between 60-65% humidity.