Packing

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
How do you guys pack your pipe?

I have been using the "frank method" but jsut wondering ifthere is anoer or a better way.

Frank Method for me. I still am not very good at it, but it seems like the way to go for me.

Ok, I'll bite, what is the "frank method"?

What works for me is to pack loosely in the bottom of the bowl and progressivly tighter to the top.

Light for a char, then tamp, relite and tamp again, relite again. I'm usually good for the bowl of the pipe. I tamp for the draw that I know from experience will work with that pipe and the tobacco that I have been smoking for over 15 years (The Wharfs Sea Breeze).

This system(?) usually seems to work with all the other tobaccos that I have experimented with. I just keep going back to Sea Breeze.

Dan in Dayton

THANKS! That actually answered a lot of questions I didn't know how to ask, and showed me where I have been screwing up a bit. Looking forward to trying the Frank Method this afternoon for barbeque. I wish there was an eperiance pipe smoker out here to get some tips on, but this helps a lot!

so let me ask this, if it is a flake tobacco, do you rub it out befor packing??

Barcochris said:
so let me ask this, if it is a flake tobacco, do you rub it out befor packing??
I rub out some of the flake to put in the bottom, fold or pull apart some of the flake for the remainder of the bowl, and rub some more out to very fine for the very top to get a good light. But that's just me.

armoredman said:
Ok, you lost me again, "rub out some flake"?

Some Pipe tobacco (can't think of a name off the top of my head) comes in tightly compacted "chunks" or Flakes. I have both smoked these just like they come or "rub them out" by placing some in the palm of my hand and with my other thumb gently rub till it breaks apart.

1. Put some tobacco in the pipe to fill it 1/4 full. Tap the pipe to settle it, but DON'T tamp this bottom stack.
2. Put succesive pinches in, packing slightly each time until there is a nice dome over the top.
3. Light the top really heavy until it springs up.
4. Re tamp
5. Re-light and it should be good to go for a while. I will tap the side of the pipe every few minutes to settle the cherry.

...Safe Harbor is a flake I enjoy...I usually rub it out, otherwise it gets to be too much work managing the burn...could just be my rookieness.

Frank method is kinda interesting....been using lately...gotta say...I think I like it.

Thanks for the tip!

I had no one to show me, so I just stuffed the bowl full down to the bottom, but the Frank method saves toboacco, makes a much easier smoke, and more enjoyable. Very nice. Easier clean up, too.