Pipe tool, oddball question

Joined Jul 2004
2K Posts | 0+
Southern AZ
This may sound odd, but is there a pipe tool made of either high heat plastic or wood, one made of something other than metal? My job gets a little leery of "extra" metal tools coming in the jobsite, wondering if such a thing exists. Thank you.

I've seen plastic ones, just a tamper and a pick (looked like a golf tee), but its been a while. Come to think of it, you could just use a golf tee, though it would be a little thick.

I have used empty .44mag shells in the past, but I doubt that would be any better for you.

Empty brass would get me in BIG doo-doo... :lol:
Golf tee, hmm... :wink: Interesting.
So nothing specifically made, then?

Armoredman

Google pipe tampers and you will get more information than ya need.
I will be at the pipe show in Columbus, Oh. on the 23rd of August if there is anything special I could look for, for you. Let me know.

Danindayton
ilurkalot

A pipe show? That would be a neat thing to see. Nothing right now, but I wouldbesoooohappy if a decent tobacconist would open up in this town!

DaninDayton said:
Armoredman

Google pipe tampers and you will get more information than ya need.
I will be at the pipe show in Columbus, Oh. on the 23rd of August if there is anything special I could look for, for you. Let me know.

Danindayton
ilurkalot
im only 2 hours away from that, i may have to go. is it smoke free though?

Kuzi16,

Yup, for the first time, the building will be smoke free. I understand that there will be smoking areas outside.
I will share a table there. Look me up and we'll share a bowl.

Here is the web site.
http://www.naspc.org/

DaninDayton
ilurkalot

what a bad turn of events... smoke free at a tobacco convention. ill see what i can do about going. im not sure the wife would like it. sounds fun though.

Capt,

I will be there and I will take pics.

Anything in particular that you are interested in?
There will be some name pipe makers and all the tobacco dealers. Pipe tool dealers, pipe rack makers, tobaccoania (sp) collectors, if it pertains to pipes and pipe smoking it will be there.

I'm primarily interested in finding a calabash pipe. An estate pipe would be perfect. Maybe, a new/different pipe tobacco. I've been smoking my custom blend for about 14 years now. Maybe, there is something out there to replace it. It's always fun to look for a new tobacco.

If I can find a couple of Barling pipes on an estate table somewhere, they just might wind up in my pipe bag.

Thanks for reminding me that I could/should take pictures.

DaninDayton
ilurkalot

The North American Society of Pipe Collectors show was Saturday. As always, my lady, the wife and I had a good time, met some old friends and made some new ones.

Unfortunatly, my camera went belly up somewhere on the way to Columbus, so, no photos.

The show was held at the Ramada Inn at I-71 and Morse Rd. It had about 200 tables in the conference room. I didn't see some of the vendors that have attended before but there was some new faces and things to see. We had eight or ten carvers there, showing some very unique styles and some wonderfully executed classic pipe styles.

The usual tobbaco vendors were there. Cornell & Diel, McClellands, G. L. Pease and others. I don't usually smoke a lot of different tobbacos. I've been smoking an aromatic house blend called Sea Breeze for over 14 years. But, I picked up some aromatics from Cornell & Diell: Apricots and Cream, Black Satin, Milk & Honey and Stawberry Cavendish. Simply because they smelled so good. We won a tin of G. L. Pease's Maltese Falcon, very tasty, in the raffle.

And the collectors were there, in droves. If it pertains to pipe smoking, someone was there that collected it. When was the last time you saw unopend Prince Albert, in the red can, for sale? My friend, Steve Ritchey, was estatic over a tin of Black Sail tobbaco, that he found. He said it hadn't been made in 20 years. After ageing for 20 years, it should be very mellow.

And the pipes, the pipes, big ones, bent ones, straight ones, miniature ones, blond ones, brown ones, black ones, white ones. There was a couple of pipes there. Strangely enough, not many meerschaums. I noticed 'cause I like "sea foam" pipes. I did find a very handy calabash pipe on an estate table that managed to come home with me.

All in all, it was a good time. I didn't sell enough to make the rent on the table, but it was money well spent. I think the no smoking venue cut the attendance as did gas prices and the state of the economy.

DaninDayton
ilurkalot

Thanks for the update! I wish I could attend one, if just to get some decent tobacco! Captain Black is all that is avilable now in this town. :evil:
Sounds like it was wonderful - next one should be in an outdoor venue with tents to allow for smoking, eh? 8)