Plugged cigar?

Joined Mar 2006
788 Posts | 0+
Hudson, NH
I busted out a Hoya De Monterry tonight and noticed after cutting it that I wasn't getting a good draw off it at all. I thought I might have cut it wrong, but it looked fine and this has never happened before, so I don't think thats the case. I remember reading on here that someone said you occasionally run into a "plugged cigar" and I thought this might have been the case.

My questions are:

1) How does a cigar become plugged?

2) Is there a way to tell before buying it?

3) How common is this problem?

4) Is there a way to fix a plugged cigar?

Thanks.

svartorm said:
My questions are:
1) How does a cigar become plugged?
2) Is there a way to tell before buying it?
3) How common is this problem?
4) Is there a way to fix a plugged cigar?
Thanks.

1) Usually it's at least partially a rolling job that's a little off. Part of the cigar is packed a little too densely. Humidity makes plugs worse, so a cigar that might only be tight at 65% maybe be plugged solid at 70%. Of course if you soak it just about any cigar will plug up.

2) There isn't really a good way. If the cigar's soft you can feel it for dense spots, but even then it's no sure thing. A lot of cigars will have "lumps" and smoke just fine. Of course there's also a risk of damage doing this, particularly if the cigar is on the dry side.

3) I depends a lot on humidity. I rarely have trouble with my cigars at home. I keep them at 65%, and while I get a fair number of tight draws it's rare I get one that's actually bad. I've had a few that were plugged solid when I pick something up and smoke it at a shop though.

4) you can get tools to ream them out a bit. I keep hearing Henry's Cigar Tools are good and have been meaning to pick up a set.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=38

Its probably the humidity in my temp humi then, being as I'm still using my tupperware humi until I get my real one. I have no way to check the humidity so I don't know how high it is, but theres usually a little moisture on the outside cellophane of the cigars, so I'm guessing its high.

What are you using for humidification? It may be best to just pull that out of there and let the cigars dry out for a couple of days.

Just a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the tupperware, with the cigars in another tupperware inside of it. I should have my real humi by Monday night. I've only got one cigar left anyways, so I wont have anything to put in it by then.