Possible beetle problem

L-B

Joined Jun 2007
3 Posts | 0+
I've been lurking these forums for a while now. I've never really had a reason to post, but recent events have caused me come out of the digital shadows and get some advice...

Not even an hour has passed since I saw what looked like a tobacco beetle walking along my computer desk. I was unsure what it was at first, so I put a bottle cap over it while I could find some pictures of tobacco beetles on the internet(seeing as how I've never seen one in real life before).

Well, after half-an-hour of straining my eyes trying to compare what I saw on the internet to what was strolling across my desk, I decided to play it safe and check my humi. I looked over every cigar I had in there twice(I did this all in a different room, and made sure my cigars hadn't picked up any hitch-hikers). And I couldnt find the trace of anything in my humi.

So, I'm wondering if I should go through the whole 'put the cigars in a baggy in the freezer' ordeal, of if it was normal to have some beetles wandering around(I do have various blends of pipe tobacco around the house)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

~Sean

Whjy take a chance. If you think there is a possiblity of an issue; freeze them. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you for the reply. My cigars are en route to the freezer now.

Just curious...did you recently have a high temp or humidity problem in your humi? Or any reason to expect a beetle problem? From what I've seen and heard (no personal experience), the holes they make are realitivly noticeable.

Yeah, I recently had a bit of a spike in the temp, but the humidity levels hovered around thier normal spot(around 70rh). I Haven't seen any holes, or any activity inside the humi. I do live in Florida, and it has been pretty hot and humid around here as of late, so I don't know if beetles are a common thing in these parts or not.

Anyone heard of folks who regularly freeze new sticks before putting them in their humi? I can't imagine this would be ideal for them.

I live in Phoenix where temps get up into the 100s a few months a year. I've had sticks that I've ordered online get delivered and the box was actually hot. Even the ones that I've had overnited UPS get hot because they sit in the back of a truck and bake for a few hours while they're out on delivery. When this happens I prefer to freeze them for a few days just as a precaution. I've read that this is ok, and I've read that it will dry them out. So far I've had no problems, and there's been no difference in the quality between the ones I've frozen and the ones that haven't been. As a matter of fact, the worse performing sticks I've gotten have been at the local B&Ms, which I have no need to freeze. I've had the wrappers on a handful of them split while I was smoking them.

Thanks for your insight! I live in New Orleans and heat and humidity are high here as you know. I have never had a problem but in the summer it is tough to keep the entire house at 70f or below. No basements here either. After reading about these problems I just want to be prepared. Thanks again.