Pre-embargo cubans

Joined Jan 2005
365 Posts | 0+
Oak Ridge, TN
Are these really any good? I was looking into purchasing a box of Gurkha Pre Embargo Cubans and was wondering if it was worth it. I know cigars start to lose their flavor after awhile and was wondering if anybody has dealt with these before. Thanks.

Gurkhas

You know, there are a lot of contrroversy over those sticks. As to how much pre-embargo tobacco is actually used remains a secret. I have however smoked a few of those cigars and found them to be quite enjoyable. So take them for what they are worth. I would have a hard time paying what most people ask for them, but that is just me. They are a great stick though. and if price doesn't concern you, then go for it because I feel they are worth smoking! :D

cigarsomoka - Are you saying that these weren't rolled way back when, and may not contain all pre-embargo tobacco? If so then I would be a bit disappointed.

I personally picked up 5 singles when Cigar.com announced their arrival last year. The price was a bit high, but I figured they were something to try and maybe save for special occasions. They were a bit stronger than I was used to, or at least it seemed probably because they are twice as long as my regular sizes. I have only smoked one so far, but that one had some burn issues. It wasn’t an even burn and I had trouble keeping it lit. From an enjoyment perspective I probably would have liked some of the modern premium cigars a bit better.

I would like to hear some other people comment though.

Mike

Very interesting... The original Cigar.com ad wasn't as clear as it could have been. It doesn't mention that they were recently rolled, only that they were made from the old tobacco. In another ad from a different store it says...

http://www.coronacigar.com/b_Gurkha_Pre-Embargo_bid67.html
Pre-embargo Gurkha cigars are made with vintage 1940 Cuban tobacco filler and wrapped with a beautiful, dark and oily Connecticut wrapper. The cigars are rolled in the Dominican Republic at the Gurkha factory. I have one word for these super tasty cigars . . . AWESOME!

I remembered Christies auctioning off some actual boxed cigars back in late '99 and thought that these were actually from there since it mentioned Christies.

Mike

Original cigar.com ad suggested cuban filler and binder with a five year old dominican wrapper. Great smoke whatever is in it and worth whatever anyone charges. Rolled after the embargo though that is why they used a non cuban wrapper. It would be difficult to roll a cigar with a wrapper that old. Tobacco purchased at auction and the real deal. Other sources I have consulted suggest 100% pre-embargo filler.

I had a conversation with a bunch of extremely knowledgeable folks on another board about this subject a few years ago. There are a lot of people out there over the past few years who have been trying to sell cigars with "pre-embargo" Cuban tobacco.

People, please be careful what you believe and what you buy. Please remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. If you believe that someone really kept Cuban tobacco around for 65 years that could have been sold for big bucks a long time ago, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not prepared to go to court on a 100% percent basis with my statements here, but we came to a conclusion in that discussion, and this was held with some of the most knowledgeable folks you could ever meet in the cigar world. These cigars, anyone selling "pre-embargo" Cubans or partial Cubans is selling you, . . .

pre-emBULLgo!!!!

Hey there gents. Our description as are most are provided by the vendor and are typically followed up with some research particularly when it comes to claims such as the above. Gurkha no longer makes this cigar and they claim it is becuase they ran out of the tobacco but I do recall when these came out there was a slew of controversy which I am sure also contributed to its discontinuation. The cigars as are all Gurkhas were made by the torano family whom are very well respected in the cigar manufacturing world. Our email and marketing campaign surrounding this cigar was based on what we purchased from the manufacturer.
Mike I am sorry to hear you were not happy with the cigars. We are geared toward customer satisfaction so please private message me so we can make sure that your recent purchase was satisfactory.

Well, I tried a pre-embargo cuban I bought from my local cigar shop today. I liked it. Whether it was authentic or not I don't know, but in my opinion, it was worth the money. It was a really good cigar.

bkelm18 said:
Well, I tried a pre-embargo cuban I bought from my local cigar shop today. I liked it. Whether it was authentic or not I don't know, but in my opinion, it was worth the money. It was a really good cigar.

Was it a Pinar?
I have smoked one or two in the past.
Tasted nothing like real Cuban cigar.
I do not believe (IMO) they are what they claim to be.
I have no experience with Gurka pre-embargo.
As fr Pinar I have sat and talkeb with Paul from Pinar.
I think he is fullllll of something that comes from Bulls.
But if you enjoyed them that is what counts!

And there ain't too many people who know genuine Cuban cigars like our own Castle Crest.