Proper Temp/Humidity in Humidor

Joined Sep 2013
4 Posts | 0+
New Jersey
Hey all, I'm new to the owning of cigars world but I have smoked my fair share of sticks. I recently decided to start owning and storing cigars so I of course went out and got myself a nice 50 count glass top humidor, floral foam humidifier (for now, will be upgrading soon) and I have a digital hygrometer/thermometer which is dead on. I've had the Humi for about 2 weeks now and for the past 6 days the temp is 66-68 and the humidity is 70-73%. My question is, are those levels ok? I keep reading and hearing different things and I'm kind of confused half the time. Some people are like 70/70 others say 65/65 I've read anywhere between 65-75% humidity is fine with temps between 65-75.

I have about 12 cigars in the humidor now and I'm looking to keep adding more. Another question is, CELLOPHANE!! Keep it on or take it off?? Same thing here I see take it off from some and keep it on from others. Whats better for the cigar?

Thanks in advance!

I was gifted a humidor (40 stick or so) with a hygrometer that I have never calibrated. Mine usually reads 62-65% and room temp. I've never noticed any problems. I also use a tube thingy that holds distilled H20 in that humidor.
This year I got my dad's old humidor and I use the foam (?) bar in it with prop. glycol as well as himipaks. Again I have no issues.
Keep in mind I don't consider myself much of an efficianado, so there you go.

Happy enjoyment (I have read that using the term "smoke" is not favored as the anti tobacco Nazis use that as a link to cigs.)

Dan B.

Thanks Dan, I will refrain from using that evil word again. Thanks for the heads up.

There is no set-in-stone for humidity and temperature. I prefer my cigars at a RH of 63-65. Anything over 65 and I get burn issues. I don't have a temperature controlled humidor, so I am at the mercy of room temperature. Usually 72-78 degrees is the temperature of the room where my Humidors are kept. During the winter, I'll close the vent for that room so the heater isn't blowing in on them.

DL